main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It's my name irl and I wasn't planning on posting any hate speech or career-ruining photos on here so I just used it because I'm uncreative. Except I guess just "Catherine" was already taken so I added an underscore at the end, only then it looked lopsided so I put one at the beginning too. So instead of lopsided now it just looks stupid.

Catherine is fine, I'm not offended if people don't strain themselves to shift in the underscores I didn't want in the first place. Or Cathy, Cat, whatever. Not Kate though.

Apparently it was to post about techno music, but since I've never listened to techno in my life and I have literally no memory of making that post, I can't be more specific. I know I lurked here on and off for a few years before I registered, because I remember stuff like Bib Fortuna and the Rise of the Dark Falls that I think was before my time, but my brain is like a sieve and I don't remember if there was any specific reason I finally registered an account. Probably I was just bored one day.

No, if I did I probably would have been able to come up with an actual screen name. I think I yelled at someone in a YouTube comment one time though.

Trip, Revanfan1, JackG and 5 others like this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    _Catherine_ 3. Tell us how you become a Star Wars fan, and SW lit in particular.

4. Where are you from? What are some of the best parts about where you live?

3. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    When I was younger I spent a lot of time at my grandparents' house and my grandfather was really into sci-fi and old adventure shows so I guess my first exposure to Star Wars was just being in the room while he was watching it on TV. After that I think I kind of forgot about it for a few years until the Special Editions came out when I was like eight I guess? A lot of kids at my school started getting into Star Wars around then because of the resulting merchandising blitz, and I would overhear them talking about it all the time and see them showing off their toys in the morning before class, and I got curious what all the hoopla was about so I had my parents rent the trilogy on VHS. Even though I'd seen bits and pieces of the movies years earlier, I think all I remembered was R2-D2 and C-3PO being lost in the desert, Chewie getting everyone caught in the Ewok trap, and of course Darth Vader being Luke's father ([face_plain]). So that was basically the first time I really saw them. I don't really remember my reaction (except that I tried to watch all three back to back but I wasn't allowed, and also the Episode IV subtitle confused the hell out of me), but I must have loved them because I've been a fan ever since, more or less.

I'm even hazier on starting the EU. I remember reading the GODV books at my grade school library, and getting the JJK and Galaxy of Fear books from the public library downtown, but I don't remember which I read first or what my reaction was to there being stories past the movies. I do remember being at a store somewhere and seeing Heir to the Empire Micro Machines toys and being really confused because I had no idea what the story blurb on the box was talking about.

[​IMG]

Um, I think eventually I figured out that there were books that took place after the movies, and I would kind of skim through them sometimes when I was at the library, but I never really tried to read one because they were really long. But in like fifth or sixth grade this guy transferred to our school who was a huge Star Wars nerd, he had all the novels and sourcebooks and everything, and I asked if he'd let me borrow them because I wanted to impress him or something. The first full EU novel I read was either Shadow Hunter or Star by Star, I don't remember which. At the end of DMSH I was like "OMG Palpatine is totally Darth Sidious, I wonder if anyone else has figured this out yet," because I guess I was a really stupid kid. I don't remember how long after that I started my own EU collection but I guess the bottom line is that I really only started getting into it because I wanted a boy to like me, which is maybe the worst thing I've ever heard.

I've lived in the Rust Belt my whole life and it is the best place on earth if you like cornfields, seven-month winters, and post-industrial blight.

[​IMG]

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Don't feel bad.

I wanted to know if it was true Sidious was Palpatine's evil twin brother. That was stupid. :p

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    _Catherine_ 5. What other franchises do you like besides SW and which are you most passionate about?

6. What are some of your favorite pastimes/activities?

6. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I really liked Buffy the Vampire Slayer before the last two seasons ruined it (excepting the musical and amnesia episodes). Spike is still one of my all-time favorite characters in any work of fiction, even though he was ultimately ruined by becoming a boring, angsty rapist.

I used to LOVE Lost and could never see it not being my favorite show, but the writers dropped the ball so hard in the home stretch that it's hard to feel that passionate about it anymore. I don't mean the final episode, which I quite liked even though most people seem to hate it, but the entire previous three seasons leading up to it, which despite a few really good episodes were still like 90% rubbish. If Lost had been canceled after season three, it would be the greatest show of all time, but the follow-up was just a depressing failure. Does that even count as a franchise? Idk.

I was really into Doctor Who while David Tennant was on, haven't kept up since though.

I never really got into Star Trek that much (because it's for NERDS) but I do like the old movie franchise with Kirk and Spock. Not the Next Gen films, those are dumb and boring. The J.J. Abrams ones are fun but they're so paint-by-numbers I can't say I'm really passionate about them.

I also like The Hunger Games (books and movies), the Disney animation canon (Frozen is maybe my favorite movie ever right now), and the Roger Moore-era James Bond films.

And Twilight. I really like Twilight.

I'm really interested in most forms of stories and storytelling. I've enjoyed writing fiction my whole life, but I'm so unproductive, like it takes me years to finish a short story, so I don't expect to be a best-seller on Amazon any time soon. I like reading, watching movies and TV shows, a few video games, not really many comics because I have a hard time getting invested in the medium. I also like badminton because it's the only sport I'm good at but I can never get anyone interested in forming a league.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I was a huge Lost fan and now I don't even care to rewatch it. And I loved Desmond so much.

8. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    I could talk about Lost literally for hours, especially about how the second half of the show betrayed the promise of the story that was set up in Seasons 1-3. It's gotten really tiresome listening to people relentlessly bash the series finale as if that was what ruined the show, when really that episode was much better than could have been expected given the three years of missteps and short-sightedness that preceded it. Especially Season 6.

Still nowhere near as bad as Season 7 of Buffy though.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As much as I didn't like the romance, I think Twilight gets more heat than it deserves. I thoroughly enjoyed the vampire and werewolf histories and cultures.

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think it BETRAYED me when Lindelof and Cuse announced their 3 year deal with ABC let them plan things out with good pacing and figure out where the show ends -- and then season 4 promptly was contradicted by season 5 and season 6 from a mythos perspective. They had no clue what Christian was.

I still think the "flash sideways" was intended to be something different going into season 6 than what it turned out to be. asjkdajksdjkasddjks

_Catherine_ likes this.
  11. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    It completely baffles me how the show started to fall apart right at the point where everything should have started to come together. How do pull off an unprecedented deal on network television to end your show after a set number of remaining seasons, and then spectacularly fail to use that arrangement to benefit the storytelling? They didn't plan out what the rest of the story would be, they didn't streamline the pacing, they didn't capitalize on their deal in any way. They couldn't even keep the new mythos consistent. Season 5: the monster protects the temple. Season 6: the temple is the one place the monster can't get in. What the HELL was the point of the time-traveling canoe shootout if they never even closed the time loop and showed who was shooting at them? Like it makes me actually mad just thinking about it.

Stretching the flash-sideways into a full half of the final season was one of the worst decisions they made, period. The payoff was good, but it didn't justify all the time we spent on stuff that ultimately did not matter AT ALL. It should have just showed up in a few episodes throughout the season; then they could have used the leftover time for regular flashbacks to answer all the lingering mysteries that ended up getting ignored. Whoops!

12. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    _Catherine_ 7. What other Disney movies do you like?

And speaking of which:
    8. What was your reaction to the announcement of Disney's purchase of Star Wars, and what are your hopes for the ST?

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Not to mention the fact that Christian appears on the boat but the smoke monster can't leave the island, Christian time travels with them to tell Locke to kill himself even though no one else time traveled, and even the time loop scene with Richard at the start of season 5 and at the end of it was clearly written with no knowledge of how it would be closed, showing how Richard seemed to know exactly what was going on in the premiere and then was completely clueless and following Locke's orders in the penultimate episode of the season.

And the flash-sideways had the Desmond nonsense which was pointless and evidently existed either to justify it or keep it relevant and establish a pointless connection to the actual show, or they were planning for the flash-sideways to be something different. And I think they planned for it to be something different because I don't understand why they tease the island under the ocean in the premiere or waste the time with Desmond running down crippled people with his car or GIVE JACK A SON THAT NEVER EXISTED.

And don't get me started on Eloise!

Edit: And I don't understand why Desmond experienced the flash-sideways due to the electromagnet and then his "flash-sideways self" knew what it was but his "regular self" didn't.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009

Should a Malazan adaptation ever be made (spoiler: it's never going to happen, though the author isn't averse), Henry Ian Cusick *needs* to play Tehol Beddict.

tjace and DigitalMessiah like this.
  15. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Beauty and the Beast is the greatest animated film ever made imo. Like it's completely perfect in every way, there's nothing I would change about it (unless it's the DVD version, in which case I'd remove the unnecessary song they added). Most of the Renaissance films are up there with it: Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan, Hunchback, Pocahontas, Tarzan, and The Rescuers Down Under, which no one remembers exists but is one of the most visually beautiful films Disney ever made. Tangled is easily of Renaissance caliber and idg why people apparently think there's a popularity contest between it and Frozen. I also love Bambi and Fantasia, but it's hard to compare them to traditional Disney animated stories because they're more like art films. I think the post-Renaissance films aren't as bad as people say, for the most part they're pretty decent. Lilo & Stitch is great, Treasure Planet and Brother Bear aren't bad either. I can't watch Fox and the Hound without wanting to die, but in a good way. Like oh my god this is a movie for children. :_|

It's easier to talk about which Disney films I don't like. People say Atlantis is "underrated," and while the animation and voice acting are top notch, it's an atrocious film overall. I blame the script 100%. The only worse 2D film is Home on the Range. Chicken Little and Meet the Robinsons don't even feel like Disney films. They're really, really bad.

At first I was kind of excited and optimistic, like "hey this is completely unnecessary but it has to be better than the prequels so therefore it will be good." I forgot what it felt like to be excited for a new Star Wars movie, but I guess the franchise still had enough magic left to bring back that feeling, just a little bit. But now I'm like ehhh, it's probably not going to be that great. This article basically summarizes my thoughts completely. I really, really wish they'd kept Michael Arndt on board. I have literally no interest in an Episode VII that revolves around the Big Three, at all. Like at all. Like it's the least interesting direction they could have possibly gone. I wasn't even so keen on the movie focusing on the Skywalker/Solo kids. I'd rather have a brand new story set in the same world, not a love letter to the OT.

But whatever, if it gets the OOT on blu-ray, all of this was worth it.

It seemed like the whole room was time traveling, because Locke went into the room in like 2000 BC to fix the wheel that was broken in 2004. It was weird. Actually that part didn't bother me as much as them never explaining how the wheel broke in the first place. It seemed to be working fine whenever Ben used it in Season 4.

Speaking of Christian, I also hated how they tried to retcon it so the ghost Jack was chasing in Season 1 was actually the smoke monster, when that contradicts how Jack's dad's ghost was clearly established as a separate entity from the monster impersonating Jack's dad. Maybe the smoke monster was supposed to be lying but they structured it more like a revelation than a red herring.

Well I didn't mind Jack's imaginary son because one of the (inconsistent) themes of the flash sideways was the characters putting to rest the major issues that had informed their arcs throughout the show, and in Jack's case that was his relationship with his father and fear of having a similar relationship if he ever had a son of his own.

But people were like "Oh the island being underwater represented how it was 'submerged' in the characters' subconsciousness" and I was like oh gawwwwddd.

I feel like this was Lost's version of the Vergere retcon.

I really don't remember much about this subplot but I think that FS Desmond meeting FS Penny was what "awakened" FS Desmond and made him realize what the FS was, but I think Island Desmond's consciousness left the FS before he figured it out? I don't know, it was terrible.

What I wanted to know was why electromagnetic energy sent Desmond through time in Seasons 3 and 4, but in Season 6 it sent him to the afterlife. WHAT

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
  17. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    Forgot to add, I was also confused why Claire's baby had to go to the afterlife as a baby. I guess the most important part of his life happened before he was old enough to form memories. It's all downhill from being born.

Sorry to hijack this thread talking about Lost but I literally cannot help myself, I still get worked up over it after all this time.

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  18. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    _Catherine_ 9. How would you rank the 6 Star Wars films?

10. Who are your top 10 or so favorite SW characters?

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Eh, afterlife Claire baby was basically a prop, kind of like Jack's kid.

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'm so glad I never bothered with getting into Lost.
    [face_plain]

GrandMasterKatarn and Ulicus like this.
  21. _Catherine_

Jun 16, 2007
    They're srsly the only good ones.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

23. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    :D

It's nice knowing someone else likes Roger Moore too, most people -- see Havac :p -- can't stand his films, but I think my first Bond movie was a Moore, and I've always enjoyed them.
    [face_sick]

...and suddenly what respect I just gained for your taste in movies just died a horrible, horrible death.
    I've never even seen an episode...

I always thought it was just some people trapped on an island... all this stuff about monsters and temples and time travel sounds nothing like the modern day Lord of the Flies story I imagined. :p

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I. This is from the last interview (the best so far btw, good job Zor!) , but peko-peko are a awesome! I had one in SWG and miss him. :( they are my favorite avian a in SW and I was sad that House Palpatine had stupid veermok on its crest and not peko-peko. Maybe the bird on my icon can be retconned as one.

II. Agreed on LOST. While I barely remember enough of it to follow along your arguments, I remember enjoying the earlier seasons well enough until it became a drama fest. To me, the second half of the show is like the final season of BSG: worth watching only once bc you want to know what happens and never worth revisiting again.

III. I am so glad people on this forum love Frozen as much as I do. I'm going to see it an unprecedented third time in theaters this weekend and couldn't be happier. The movie's amazing in every way.

IV. You are dead on about Beauty and the Beast, both in terms of it being the greatest animated film ever made and that Human Again just mars perfection.

V. I originally had a comment about your good taste here but then I saw the Twilight thing quoted above. Now I don't know what to think, but I hope it's one of those so bad it's good things (although I've never quite understood that logic myself).

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

_Catherine_ and Zorrixor like this.
  25. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Grave of the Fireflies, word with you.

Mia Mesharad and tjace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.