main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Sherlock - new BBC series from Steven Moffat

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, Jul 21, 2010.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    My feeling on it was Mycroft had to do something after Sherlock killed Magnusson in front of so many witnesses. If there hadn't been that many, he probably could have covered it up easily.

Edit: Regarding when series 4 comes out, there was an article today where Moffat was quoted saying:
    "If people have to wait two years, they’ll have to wait two years."

and

"We'll do what we can, but with no sacrifice in quality – that’s the thing,” he said. “It’s not the kind of show that turns up all the time, it's just not. But the good news is, that probably means it will turn up sporadically for a very, very long while."

I can't link the IGN article I originally saw it on because my work computer won't let me, but HERE is another article with it.

2. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    The thing with Mycroft and the exile - it was a bit odd because he seems capable of any cover-up. But yeah, witnesses. Too bad Sherlock couldn't have thought of a way to make it look like self-defense. (I kind of thought John was gonna punch the guy when he was getting face-flicked). Although ... I have to wonder if Sherlock guessed what might happen if he did kill him. It wasn't a far stretch to think that he wouldn't be safe in any prison, and the country needed him free more than jailed (Mycroft told him as much when he said he was a dragon slayer and here there be dragons ... which made me giggle. At least John didn't make a "I'm not a burglar!" remark when they broke into the office.)

As for the possibility of new episodes not coming out until 2016 - :eek:. I've seen all nine episodes for the first time in the past three weeks, so I've been terribly spoiled not having to suffer the previous waits. I almost wish I hadn't started watching! Maybe since it got such good ratings, BBC will put pressure to have it more regularly? Or find more writers?

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think that's the case for most of the fans. Sure some people caught it when Series 1 was airing, but the longer the show goes on the more new fans there will be who watch all of the series to that point and then join in waiting 1+ years for the next new episodes. :p

Like me, I found out about the show between series 2 and 3, so I was able to watch all six episodes so far, then fast forward over a year and I get to watch Series 3. [​IMG]

4. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Thats exactly what happened with me as well. The wait wasn't even bad for a year so two years is nothing. You learn to put it from your mind and take up other things. Other shows come out and get new seasons and whatnot. Plus, if youre a Game of Thrones fan you know all about waiting so two years is actually a godsend. LOL.

5. Tatooine_native

Tatooine_native Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2003
    Yeah, I guess it's like waiting for the next sequel to a major cinematic movie. (I was not old enough to know the horror of having to wait 3 years before Return of the Jedi). I guess with TV I feel like it should come faster since most shows are more regular. I'll just try to put Sherlock in the same mental category as Avengers 2, etc. At least it didn't end on a true cliffhanger (Sherlock, not Avengers). If it had ended with the plane flying off into the sunset, or right after he shot him ... or even John saying, "Sherlock, what do we do?!" I'd be more antsy.

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Three high quality 90 minute films every two years? Sounds like a great deal to me.

The Great No One and jp-30 like this.
  7. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    The witnesses were trained military. They will have seen and done worse.

8. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Name the episode!

Juliet316 likes this.
  9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Rise of the Cybermen?

10. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Can't tell if serious.....

11. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Deadly.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  12. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Then no. Read the thread title.

Everton likes this.
  13. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
  14. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Thank you.

Oh, you mean the episode? Yes, yes it is :)

15. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Double meaning was noted, but I felt too lazy to add the 'the' when typing.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
  17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yeah wasn't that where they found the guy who faked his death?

18. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I've been avoiding this thread like the plague for fear of spoilers (we only just had season three air down here in Oz) but I finally caught up with the last episode airing yesterday. I think that, although S3 was probably the best from a character point of view, overall I think it's the weakest season so far. I did enjoy it, especially Sign of Three, but it wasn't quite up the standards of the first two seasons. At the very least it had by far the weakest villain; Magnussen felt like a poor man's Moriarty, and the twist at the end seemed to be the writers admitting it. He needed to be given the build-up that Moriarty got in season one, but instead he just has John kidnapped in the first episode and then disappears until he's suddenly Sherlock's worst enemy in the third. It didn't help that his secret, instead of making him even more dangerous, actually rendered him completely impotent. It's rather difficult to believe that no one's ever called his bluff and ruined his reputation when he wasn't able to follow through on his threats.

darthcaedus1138 and jp-30 like this.
  19. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    because he very easily could have. like in john's case he could have very easily ruined his life with a simple phone call, and then mary either dies or has to completely disappear again. knowledge is power is a saying for a very, very good reason. because with knowledge you can dictate what people do and how they do it. frankly that is a very dangerous thing, especially in someone like magnussen. maybe he's no moriarty (who is), but to have control of the majority of the western world he has to be someone who is dangerous in a very different way. say he leaked the stuff on mr. smallwood, what happens then? mrs. smallwood is thrown into the middle of a huge scandal, and she's very likely replaced in office if not immediately then in the next election. it's a weaker, subtler power to have, that is also far more powerful because people are naturally going to preserve themselves, what they have, what they love, and what they want. would you call his bluff? over the kinds of things he's threatening? i seriously doubt much of anyone would, not when he figures out exactly what you're weakness is. when you're hit in a weakness, or pressure point as he put it, you don't think rationally. it's you're weakness for a reason.

but don't get me wrong, he's far from moriarty in terms of being a villain. and i agree, while it was an enjoyable season overall, the lack of real... mysteries like they had in the previous two seasons was a bit of a let down. but in a way, this season was like a breather in a book after you've been dealing with things non-stop. you need those pauses, and they move the characters forward outside of the normal action, so that whatever has happened can really sink in, and then whatever happens next hits all that harder because you've had that room to breath and really absorb what's happened already. in the case of having had a year already... yes, it can suck in a way, but what's happened with the characters will make the future that much more powerful because they've all grown, and situations have changed. honestly, it has a very bright future, and i'm looking forward to whatever happens.

oh, to add to the above... how was ANYONE else to actually know he didn't have the physical documents or something? he never gave any indication that he didn't, he never actually let anyone else know for a fact either. so calling his bluff is just that much more dangerous, because it seems like he's just gone over what he's talking to you about as opposed to just remembering it in his mind in great detail. most people can't even think that way, or come up with that concept to that degree. how could you assume that magnusson was just remembering something in the kind of detail he can do so? it's even suggested that mycroft thought that he had physical records, so why wouldn't sherlock since mycroft is the smarter of the two?

but your right, as soon as it became known that he had nothing but his mind, it was pretty much over for him. i was expecting mycroft to have read sherlocks lips and then ordered magnusson shot personally. but hey, sherlock acting out his sociopathic problems for once was interesting in a different way.

so i just finished watching season three. finally. and oh my god how are they bringing moriarty back? O_O i don't get it, and was reduced to muttering at the computer screen.

BigAl6ft6 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  20. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    sorry about the double post, but my edit time just ended...

for moriarty shooting himself and not dying... something just occurred to me. fight club, and how it ended with edward norton shooting himself to get rid of pitt's character (who, for the life of me, i can't remember either of their names). maybe he shot himself in such a way that it looked like he was dead, or going to be very shorty to sherlock (notice he feel away from him with his face down so it wouldn't actually be seen where he shot himself precisely?) and then sherlock is in a huge panic to save the people he cares about, so he probably wouldn't even think to check moriarty's body. which he never did in the episode. the whole you always feel the pain... but you don't have to fear it thing in sherlock's mind? anyone else thinking about that at all? morarity is definitely the type of person that COULD and WOULD do something like that. perhaps a bit far-fetched, but it seems like a mildly realistic way to bring him back. and he'd the have a rather massive scar on the side of his face...

i thought moriarty had said that wasn't actually real, and that they were stupid for believing him on it? i mean, i could be misremembering, but something keeps triggering a memory of moriarty saying that wasn't possible and that they were both stupid to think it was.

also, to the best of my knowledge, in the books mycroft was the only brother sherlock had. so if they had another family member, they'll be straying from source material (not that that actually means much in this series, just figured i'd mention it).

redbeard was the family dog... that was put to sleep, which was apparently traumatic to sherlock as a child... or did you not see him going to the dog and saying redbeard to it when he was going into shock?

i tried watching it, but thought it was somewhat atrocious. having lucy liu as watson just... broke everything to me. and if they actually tried to make irene adler and moriarty the same character then just blegh. but overall, the show was just badly paced, and didn't really seem to get sherlock at all to me. it's by far the weakest take i've ever seen on the character, and i've seen pretty much every single one ever done to this point.

21. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Strongly disagree. I think Sherlock's plot holes are grating, while Elementary's character development and yet, controversial choices shed new light on the canon as well as being great storytelling on its own. Lucy Liu is one of my favorite Watsons now (probably second to Edward Hardwicke from the Jeremy Brett series).

I also really disliked the construction of the Milverton character in season three. Yes, in John's case, Mary would have died, but how many people had that kind of immediately leverageable information? For example, the MP's husband at the beginning - if no letters, then all you have is tabloid-worthy stuff. Sure, getting it printed in serious newspapers might work once, but then you've shot your gun, and there's no reloading it.

22. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Moriarty is totally Skynet now, right? Cuz I would be absolutely okay with that.

24. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm still not ruling out Mycroft faking Moriarty's return to save Sherlock.

[​IMG]

Or it could be Sebastian Moran.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    News! from the BBCOne Twitter account: