main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Death Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Feb 5, 2014.

?

Who do you think will die in Episode VII? (Multiple responses allowed.)

1. Luke

39.6%
  2. Leia

15.1%
  3. Han

56.6%
  4. Lando

7.5%
  5. Chewbacca

15.1%
  6. C3PO

1.9%
  7. R2 D2

3.8%
  8. Skywalker Offspring

5.7%
  9. Solo Offspring

13.2%
  10. Other (Explain who and why)

18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Also, according to the Making of ROTJ book, the main reason for him wanting to be killed off was the character arc in that particular film. It was not satisfying for him (or the character) and instead of going through the motions of what he was given to work with, he thought it would be better to just kill him off. I know Carrie Fisher also expressed her disdain for Leia's character arc in ROTJ.

I have a feeling that is why we heard rumors of Ford saying that he wanted to see Han's character arc throughout the entire trilogy before committing to anything. He did not want a repeat of ROTJ.

2. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I have to say, I'm in complete agreement with Harrison and Carrie on this. Han and Leia were just a wasted opportunity in ROTJ. *sigh*

Oh, well, guys, you'll always have Bespin…..*sniff*

HanSolo29 likes this.
  3. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Well, I don't want any of them to die, obviously! For story's sake however, I'd kind of like them to 'go out' in the order they came in. Han and Chewie first, Luke and then finally Leia. Don't ask me why...
    I'd mainly just like to see Leia survive the longest since she's got more issues that need to be resolved in her character than the others. Poor girl barely remembers her mom, then years later finds out her dad was Vader and her long lost brother reveals himself and runs off to find dad, leaving her behind to wonder what just happened. Not cool. o_O

4. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I was going to say the Solo or Skywalker offspring just so the original heroes are left in peace, but whatever...instead I'll give a completely fresh-take, from my own perspective. I think Luke, Leia and Han are going to die, just because.

My guess, is it is going to go down like this, Luke dies in a massive battle with the new villain/threat whilst attempting in vain to save one of his new Jedi council students. Han will die after having an old-west style duel using blasters with his arch nemesis Boba Fett (upon his return of course) in which Han wins, then upon celebrating will get into his Falcon, and unwittingly spring a trap that Boba had set in a last-gasp effort to slay his rival via a button on his wrist, thus blowing Han sky-high. Chewbacca will die from being crushed by the debris whilst running to save Han, in a twisted sense of irony reminiscent of his EU death when he was crushed by a moon. Leia will die when New Alderaan is destroyed by a weapon greater than the Death Star 1 & 2, which will be aptly named the Death Star 3. In my opinion, it will only be the Solo/Skywalker offspring that will be left to carry on the legacy of the previous cast of characters, and to be the 'future' of the series.

...but, they must be warned because 30 years from now when their characters are reprised for another shot at the SW universe, they too must die, just because.

5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I couldn't bring myself to pick anyone on that list. It just hurt my heart too much. Even choosing Solo/Skywalker offspring would be too much for me. Not that I have any attachment to these characters I have yet to meet, but I'd feel awful for Han/Leia or Luke if they had to deal with that. Can't they all just survive? *sniff* At least for the first movie of the trilogy?

ChildOfWinds and TKT like this.
  6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If EP7 follows tradition then Luke will die at the end of EP7 - he will die in the arms of his son & the Luke will be a force ghost in EP8 & EP9 giving advise to his son.....

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I've been saying this all along. The impact of reality hitting everyone in the face that this new threat isn't something to just mess around with would be much greater if a Jedi Master of Luke's caliber is taken out. It allows the new threat to be taken much more seriously.

yodasbum likes this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I think that any death for Luke would have to be for reasons far more compelling than making the new big bad seem "powerful." Luke's value to the saga is so far above and beyond that of a being whose end is written simply to serve the story needs of the villain. I do like the idea of a flesh and blood resurrection, though. I mean, given any other character, it sounds plain daft to me, but with Luke? Yeah, if it's handled well, I could really see it.

I voted Han, because, thanks to Harrison, it's the one I'm most ready for, and "other" for a new character (just like in TMP and ANH) whose death can 'mirror' the mentor's death in IV and I, and lend weight to the antagonist. Maybe Luke's wife, if such a character is included in the new film.

Immortiss and T-R- like this.
  9. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    That's the thing though, Luke being dead doesn't mean the end of Luke in the story thus he can still go on through the saga ala Ben.

To say it's to serve the story needs of the villain IMO is short sighted. It's not the story needs of the villain, it's the emotion need of the new saga.

Important deaths enhance story telling in that is draws in the audience to a level where it's much easier to get "suspension of disbelief", and thus making for a better movie overall. The more involved emotionally the audience is, the more likely the audience will be taken along for the ride.

10. AkshayTheJedi

AkshayTheJedi Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 12, 2013
    I would prefer if Luke or Leia died.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think they will die, but not in Episode 7.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wouldn't it be cool if Luke didn't die and actually survived the trilogy?

ChildOfWinds, Trebor Sabreon and T-R- like this.
  13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Well, if the ST follows tradition, Luke will die at the end of IX like Anakin. Jinn and Kenobi do not have the same importance to the Saga that Anakin and Luke have.

I agree. Luke's value is greater than any other character.

I voted for "other" and "Solo offspring" because there will undoubtedly be someone who dies, whether or not it is a mentor figure. I could see Luke's wife dieing to continue his loss of mother, uncle, aunt, mentor, best friend, gunner, 2nd mentor, and father that was seen in the previous films. I also think it could be his niece or nephew, which could add some tension between the OT3 if they blame Luke or if he blames himself.

Personally, I would like to see it be a student so we have the dynamic of the teacher losing the student, something we haven't seen yet.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Chose Luke and Han. Almost certain it will be Luke, and I expect Ford will push for some "great sacrifice to save others" finale to his character.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No Han will hide in the Falcon's fridge for the rest of the trilogy.

T-R- likes this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    at which point the real phantom menace of the saga comes out of his hiding place in the space between spaces.

17. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't want to see any of them die. :(

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well you're gonna see em' all die dagummit AND YOU'RE GONNA LIKE IT TOO:mad:

BigAl6ft6, EviL_eLF and Odolwa like this.
  19. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I know exactly what you mean. I am thinking that, hopefully, the ST takes a page from the Avatar playbook, and does not truly kill its' key characters using the logic, it's sci-fi, and no one truly dies. As James Cameron has stated, "When you have a science-fiction series, a science-fiction franchise, you’re never dead, unless your DNA is expunged from the universe. And then there’s always time travel!" and Sigourney Weaver has also voiced, "No one ever dies in science fiction.”

Of course, the time travel aspect does not really apply to Star Wars, but that was just a small part of a much larger picture painted by Cameron's statement imo. Sci-Fi is not reality-based, and so the perception of life/death can be played with through ethereal means, or just straight-up damn good storytelling in which we are made to think the character(s) are dead, but they return later surprising us all. That is what I would like to see, if anything.

20. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
  21. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2014
    I'm sorry, but Luke needs to die. He was born on camera, served as our first real window into the Star Wars universe - its only fitting that we see the end of his life, also. I'd like him to go peacefully in IX, but LFL/Disney will most likely kill him off to job to the big bad.

22. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    It's not Abrams decision, these are Lucas' stories, and Luke is his alter ego

23. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2014
    True. I was just using "Abrams" more as "Abrams, Arndt, Kennedy, Lucas, and the rest of LFL/Disney". Abrams is just easier to type.

24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why not just say Abrams & Friends?

25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think Leia will die at the beginning in revenge for Carrie blabbing about being cast

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.