main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (Premiere Movie)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by dolphin, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Link

The Walt Disney Company's annual shareholder letter
    It’s hard to believe it’s already been a year since we acquired the extraordinary Star Wars franchise, but we’re well on our way to expanding that epic saga to thrill fans and introduce its iconic characters to a new generation with fantastic new storylines. After months of public speculation and anticipation, we announced the official release date for the next feature film, Star Wars: Episode VII, will be December 18, 2015. So far we’ve kept the details to ourselves, but we’re thrilled with the story and committed to making an incredible movie, and we should be releasing more information as production moves forward in the coming year.

As with Marvel, the rich universe of Star Wars has tremendous creative potential for the entire company. While the world eagerly awaits Episode VII to open in theaters, we’re introducing Star Wars Rebels to television audiences this summer with a movie and a series of shorts on Disney Channel, followed by a continuing series on Disney XD. Our success in building a robust pipeline of original Star Wars content for various platforms will be an integral part of our long-term strategy to leverage the franchise across a variety of our businesses, from theme parks to consumer products..

Well, this is surprising. The movie will obviously introduce us to the characters and the worlds ala Star Wars: Clone Wars (2008). Perhaps we'll see a clue as to how Disney will replace the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

whostheBossk and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  2. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Is it actually a theatrical film like TCW or a TV movie?

3. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't expect them to change plans so much, it's probably a misunderstanding. We will get "one-hour tv special" that could be called "the movie" like they annaunced here, and a series on short this summer as teasers, but nothing more.

dolphin and TaradosGon like this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I agree. The impression I get is that the one-hour pilot that is to be televised on Disney Channel - the one we've known about forever now - is the same thing as this "movie."

Still, I cannot wait to see it (and before that, the shorts that will provide us with some background for the new characters).

dolphin likes this.
  5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    So it's a one hour, not a two hour?

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Who didn't see this coming?

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Calling it a movie is really a stretch. One hour with commercial breaks is really 40 minutes. Two episodes. TCW film is four episodes long.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    An one-hour special shouldn't really be considered a movie.

9. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    ....I have a bad feeling about this.

mes520 and Darkslayer like this.
  10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    You notice how he said, he was looking forward to expanding the Saga, as if the EU never happened.

11. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Well, for their target audience, it didn't!

Regarding the movie, there is no way this is a 1-hour special, otherwise they wouldn't refer to it as a movie.

Biggest thing for me is that the 'movie' airs in the summer, so we should be getting clips and a trailer a lot earlier than SDCC. Can't wait,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Well, this is exactly how TCW started...we've come in full circle.

13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    That sounds bad.

So far we've seen that people at the LFL-on-down level, including people like Filoni and Weisman, are big EU fans. And if they get free reign, we might see the canon status of much EU stuff affirmed, either by appearing in shows like Rebels, or by appearing in later publications and guides after the Story Group have had time to go through everything, thus signifying it has their blessing. If they get free reign. Which leads me to my next troubling observation:

The statement in the OP sounds like it's coming from the Disney level. Note how the person speaks about "we acquired the extraordinary Star Wars franchise". That's not LFL talking, it's Disney. It's worrying. Makes me wonder if Disney execs are going to ride roughshod over the EU, and over anything that any of the LFL people might want to do with it. They've already unilaterally cancelled things that LFL was going ahead with under GL, such as 1313. I'd hoped that Disney would let the LFL team write the story of SW as much as possible and not engage in heavy executive meddling, but this sounds ominous. Disney could indeed turn out to be the monster we all feared.

14. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    They are who we THOUGHT they were! ...and we let 'em off the hook!!!

[​IMG]

15. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Whatever it is...I'm super looking forward to this series! :D

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I sort of expected a one-hour special for the pilot and I'm glad it's not going to theaters. TCW movie bombed there.

SithStarSlayer and Darkslayer like this.
  17. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Movie pilot, same as TCW. Could be an hour to two; probably 90 minutes.

Disney wouldn't be dumb to mess with LFL; they might give opinions, but I doubt they'll override anything that the people who've made Star Wars for so long will do (even newcomers like Filoni -- he's done a good job with it). Say what you will with the "cool opinions", but they make overall decent and popular stuff, which brings in the money. A company is all about money.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    The best part of this is not having to deal with outrageous concession prices or having it ruined by obnoxious audience members. Plus, people can make up their minds whether or not to follow the series after watching the movie/pilot.

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    The EU is changing just like the property changed from GL to Disney. New minds, new owners, new ideas, the past is going to be chucked

Chantiemi likes this.
  20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Many of of you are going to say, common vong you don't know this. True, I don't but did anyone listen to the podcast of jedi journals: Feb 2014? Randy and the people at dark Horse already knew that they had lost the license, they just couldn't talk about it. I mentioned this way back when and people took me for granted. They know were they are going, they just haven't told everyone yet. They are going to do this in stages, just like the closing of lucas arts, the cancelling of the clone wars, the BC content, Rebels, Spin off announcement, the new video games, and of course Marvel. Some of you guys don't want to get it, the old ways are done.

Pfluegermeister and Chantiemi like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank you for sharing.

22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think anyone will ever say this, because no one says "common" when they mean "come on" or "c'mon".

That must be difficult, not being appreciated for your amazing service to this forum.

We'll all pitch in and get you something for mother's day this year, I promise.

The world has just changed so radically, and we're all running to catch up. I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but look...Star Wars and fans, brought together by 37 years of continuity have just been suddenly ripped apart. How can we possibly have the slightest idea what to expect?

23. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Though I do think you're right about what will happen to the EU, I don't see it in this statement. It's just a preamble written by a PR department, and means nothing. "Expanding the saga" has no hidden message, because the people writing this don't even know what "Expanded Universe" means. They're just a big steamroller, not a band of assassins. The EU isn't in danger at the hands of executives, because executives simply don't write. Yes, they might have notes that result in minor details creating conflicts, but these would amount to retcons at the worst. No, the people you should be worried about are any future creative staff working on Star Wars stuff. Showrunners hold the power; look at Community with Dan Harmon, then without him... then with him again. There have been network notes the whole time, but they never really change anything.

TKT and Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes like this.
  24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    If it resembles the TCW movie, I really hope they don't.

25. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Wait, I was under the impression that the one-hour pilot would be followed by the series a couple weeks later. Is that wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.