main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000

That is right. In Australia (well NSW specifically) any "dependent" can contest a will and seek orders from the court that proceeds from the estate be provided for the benefit of the successful claimant. In less enlightened countries it may be different.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I should clarify that point of mine, I mean I don't see any confusion added to it that we're not already dealing with. These matters have all sorts of extra complexities I don't want to trivialize, but it's already something the system deals with.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    If you note, I actually covered that scenario as well, to a certain extent. I only made the stated assumption because you said nothing about any relationship (marital or otherwise) between John and Judy, but then mentioned them having kids. Within that context, it was a reasonable assumption.

However, even in that case, I don't see how it necessarily complicates matters from a legal perspective. Usually the parents maintain direct responsibility for providing for their children, and in your example, while both John and Judy would have claim to Jane's estate, that doesn't necessarily translate to John and Judy's kids having any extra claim to Jane's estate. Stepchildren are not necessarily dependents, after all*. (Think of current situations where a noncustodial parent remarries. The existing children would become stepchildren for the new spouse, but would not necessarily become dependents, and the spouse would not normally be liable for child support.) For example, does Jane have any custodial interest in the children, or guardianship over them?

But none of these are exactly new situations created by legalized polygamy. You can find similar issues today through a variety of situations, and none of them are really insurmountable.

* Local laws will vary. This post is not legal advice. I am not a lawyer, nor am I a doctor, a naval captain, or a member of uncountable other professions. For questions on your own circumstances, consult with a local attorney, or just look for random advice on the Internet. It's up to you, just don't blame me if it isn't right.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The arguments for and against Virginia's Evilmendment were heard in Norfolk yesterday. The news showed protesters on both sides of the issue outside the courthouse. Some are wanting Va's new AG impeached for refusing to defend the Amendment. We'll see what the judge decides soon. Eventually it'll likely end up in front of the Supreme Court either way.

Oh and Scotland has legalized Same Sex Marriage. Good for them.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The wife of the legislator who sponsored North Carolina's Evilmendment actually used reproduction as a defense and said that white people weren't reproducing enough.

I hope the Virginia defendants at least have a better argument.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    och, buncha wee poofs gettin hitched n raisin wee bairns wi oot a hen

im interested to see how close the scottish independence vote comes

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think from what I heard on the news yesterday, the reproduction argument might have come up, however I don't think they were stupid enough to pull the race card.

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

They'll almost certainly make the worst decision and then expect to keep the Pound over the Euro.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    really? every poll ive seen has been only like a third of voters supporting independence

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Well Ender didn't quite say what the worst decision might be...;)

But I doubt they'll get the turnout or majority they need. Salmond has said it should be a once-per generation referendum, so maybe next time. It should hopefully go some way to decentralising power from London either way.

12. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

considering his weird ****-riding on the queen id assume he wants what the UK wants, which officially seems to be the scots remaining a province

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Soooo...about that NFL prospect from Mizzou....

Being a Tigertown resident, it's all over the news. I must say, I think it was brave of him to "come out" prior to going pro. It'll be interesting to see what effect -if any- this has on his professional prospects.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  16. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    So Ellen Page came out, I thought she already had come out, I recall an article I read about someone outing her as bisexual in 2012 I think. I think it's great, when media reports on it though: not so great.

Does anyone here think that reporting on things like a celebrity coming out helps or hinders equality? A friend of mine told me that he thinks it damages equality to treat it as a big deal. I could see how that'd be correct and the standpoint takes into account that homosexuality is still widely regarded as abnormal. Does celebration of or sensationalizing homosexuality (in a positive or negative light) really do much? Why not celebrate all sexuality?

Jedi Merkurian and Rogue_Ten like this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As I mentioned in the thread about the football player...

I'll be happy when the response to "I'm gay" is "Cool. Hey, did you see that this movie that recently came out?"

18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    True, but I don't think that's going to happen for a while, nor should we be in too much of a rush to get there just yet. First ensure equal treatment, "normalization" will come later.

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  19. Heavy Isotope

Heavy Isotope Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 10, 2013
    I think normalization would speed up equal treatment, if people realize there's no actual threat from homosexuality then the government can give it's consent, because we need their consent on this for some reason.

I can see why you'd think equal treatment would come first, though. Normalization coming quickly, before equal treatment, could make it so that people become lethargic in their demands for gay rights. Maybe?

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Mmm yeah, pretty much. When there's discrimination against a particular group, that discrimination has to be acknowledged and corrected...it shouldn't be brushed off as though it never happened. Discrimination against gays probably hasn't been as bad as it was against blacks under segregation, but it's still something that has to be corrected.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We should discriminate against the discriminators then.

darth fluffy and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Guardian "outed" Patrick Stewart as gay (he's not) in an article about Ellen Page coming out.

[face_laugh] So great! Because the only reason anyone would support someone else's decision to come out is if they were gay themselves.

It's such a wonderful example of how even pro-LGBT people (as I'm sure the writer of the article was) stereotype gays. Stewart is British, hangs out with Ian McKellen and loves the theater! Clearly gay.

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm in complete support of Ellen Page coming out, but I feel strange since she was one of my celebrity crushes for a while. Probably because of Beyond: Two Souls. No big deal though.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Honestly? I thought much like Brian Boitano a month ago, I thought Page was out already. Maybe I just confused her with her X-Men co - star Anna Paquin?