main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series No Romance between Main Characters Plz

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Should there be Romance between some of the main Characters?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. maybe

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I really don't want to see romance between the main characters. It would waste time, perhaps create stupid love tingles, and just waste scenes that could have been used for something that is actually beneficial.

I don't mind if there is romance between a main character and a minor one (as long if it is not overdone/stupid), but please writers, no romance between the mains. The writers may be tempted to do this, especially with a female twilek on board the Ghost, but I prefer if they created strong/unique relationships between the crew, without heading into romance realm (though even if that was the case, im sure there would be stupid shipping done by fans).

2. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, it's a Greg Weisman show, so I'm going to say that it's a given that there will be romantic subplots between main characters. There's really no chance of it not happening. I'm also not the least bit worried about that, considering his body of work speaks for itself when it comes to writing relationships. And done well, romantic relationships aren't a waste of time at all, but rather a means of further fleshing out who these characters are as people.

3. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    As long as it isn't a clichéd conservative American model of romance.

Ugh.

Perhaps we'd see a LGBT relationship, though I'm not holding my breath.

4. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I feel like Star Wars fans sometimes have this hatred for romantic plots/sub-plots and I think thats due in large part due to the horrendous job GL did writing the Romance in AOTC - seriously, the only reason that the audience actually understands that its a romance going on is because of Williams' score. Otherwise, I think the prevailing theme/feeling of the film (up until the wedding really) would be that of awkward creepiness. If done correctly, romance can really help flesh out characters - but it shouldn't be injected just to have romance, it should feel like its coming from somewhere real. If done well, I have nothing against romantic plots/sub-plots.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Personally, I'd much rather have romance between main characters than an endless string of love-interests-of-the-week.

6. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    This.

And this.
    I kind of expect Weisman to have some sort of queer relationship or character, even if network restrictions and **** won't let him come right out and say it on screen, just imply and then confirm it in tie-ins or online. He did it with Gargoyles way back (and under Disney, too) and again just recently with Young Justice, so I honestly wouldn't even be surprised.

Vthuil and Mia Mesharad like this.
  7. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    I voted yes for romance. It is always interesting and bring something to the story look at AOTC and ROTS and ESB.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I voted no, mainly because I don't want any love triangles, I don't want the clichéd American conservative model that Jack mentioned, and I don't want it to be a main focus of the show.

A well-written, non-cavity-inducing romance as a subplot would be fine.

The Shadow Emperor and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Well I can't vote on my phone, so let me say this:

I wouldn't mind a decent love story. I just want it to be too "Disney-ish". Most of those go: boy meets girl, they date, boy does something stupid, girl dumps him, boy does something to show he "really loves her", they get back together, and they're "so in love."

Please, nothing sappy, this is war, you need to grow up quickly and focus here. Love needs to be serious, not silly.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I have always hated that brand of love story...mostly because I'm a boy and thus find myself offended. Why can't it be the girl who does something stupid for once (no offense, girls)? :p

11. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes there should be, but hopefully it won't be too simple and boring.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hate it too but for different reasons. There's the "traditional" Twilight-esque love story in which the man is an ******* and does something *******-ish to prove it but he's really really sorry and the woman forgives him because love conquers all or some **** like that. There's also the female protagonist whose ultimate goal in life is to find a man and when she reaches that goal, the entire universe erupts in sparkly rainbows and her castle servants fart kittens or something. And they lived stupidly ever after.

Thankfully Disney seems to be moving away from that model. Tangled's romance was sweet, and there was no codependence, Rapunzel just wanted to get the hell out of that tower. Merida in Brave fought for her own hand, and Frozen, unlike traditional Disney films, actually acknowledged the fact that marrying someone you don't know isn't a good idea.

If we get a romance, I'd like to see a situation in which the two people are friends first, having fun and hanging out together, then come to realize that they love each other. If we're discussing examples for children, that's what I want mine to see regarding what healthy relationships look like.

Not an endorsement of people acting stupid because they're in love.

13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I agree with you OP. Why does every action movie/TV show need to have a romance? That's a part of why I liked the first Hobbit movie so much - the lack of romance made it feel fresh.

Dathomir-Witch likes this.
  14. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    :D

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If there must be romance, let their be new John Williams. But, that's way too much to ask for.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Honestly I hope this is what Rebels gives us so I can read more comments like this.

16. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would like to see a relationship in rebels between a man and woman that is not a romantic one.

We had that in TCW between Anakin and Ahsoka, but it was easier for that to happen because.....

1. Anakin canon wise is married/in love with only his Angel.
    2. Canon wise though Anakin is a killer, including that of children, at least he doesn't cheat on women (prefers chocking anyways).
    3. Ahsoka and him are Jedi

However with Rebels we do not have to have any of those constraints, the characters of the Ghost ship are new EU characters, therefore they do not have to have any romantic/ideological/canon baggage that would prevent them from hooking up with someone they spend a lot of time with on the Ghost.

Now I think there is a possibility that there will be romance between 2 main characters in Rebels, but even if that was the case, I still hope the writers also develop a strong/unique relationship between a man and woman, that does not fall into the sexual/romantic realm.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    The only way I'll tolerate a relationship on this show is if begins with a shotgun wedding performed by a drunk Hondo Ohnaka.:D

18. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

This just made me picture the scene in the underground tunnels from Enemy at the Gates...oh if only Star Wars did something like that on DisneyXD[face_idea]

Contessa likes this.
  19. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I went for maybe. Only because if they do it,it should be with characters from the empire, not the Rebels. Yes, I know the show is called Rebels, but for crap sakes, why can the Imperial people have lives as well?

Sgt Crowfield and WatTamborWoo like this.
  20. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I voted yes, I don't mind some romance.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Hot angry sex between an Imperial and a Rebel.

Or two Imperials.

"We, uh, had a slight weapons malfunction, but, uh, everything's perfectly alright now. We're fine. How are you?"

22. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Well I wasn't speaking about sex, after all this is a Disney show. I meant two Imperials. You don't see many women on the Imperial side, except for Juno Eclipse, and that's from a video game. Although a romance between an Imperial and a Rebel would be interesting. It would probably make for some interesting conflict.

23. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I voted maybe. I'm fine with romance being in the show as long as its handled in a restrained manner and doesn't overtake any of the show's other elements. I don't mind something like Character A hooking up with Character B as long as Characters A & B get character development outside of the whole romantic sphere.

Also: No Onderon style love triangles in Rebels please. [face_sick]

Personally, I happen to like the whole idea of there being a potential romantic relationship between an Imperial and a Rebel.

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I voted maybe. If romance or even the dreaded love triangles benefit the plot and character development, then avoiding it on arbitrary grounds seems a bit too high up the autism scale for me.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know you weren't. I was. And not in a completely serious way but my point here still stands.

Obviously no on-screen displays but if the only romance the show is willing to do is the puritanical American version...let's just skip it.