main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode VII Death Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HegoDamask, Feb 5, 2014.

?

Who do you think will die in Episode VII? (Multiple responses allowed.)

1. Luke

39.6%
  2. Leia

15.1%
  3. Han

56.6%
  4. Lando

7.5%
  5. Chewbacca

15.1%
  6. C3PO

1.9%
  7. R2 D2

3.8%
  8. Skywalker Offspring

5.7%
  9. Solo Offspring

13.2%
  10. Other (Explain who and why)

18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The very first shot will be of a ship passing through space and Leia's frozen body just floating behind it, thrown out of an airlock, no further explanation ever given.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    or she's part of the jettisoned rubbish before the ships jump to lightspeed

Dra--- likes this.
  3. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I voted Han and lando and R2.

Han and Lando will go out like Butch and Sundance.

R2 will be killed somehow, but then it will be revealed that he escaped somehow.

4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    You know, as much as I don't want a main/OT character to die in EVII, I think I would like this - espiecially if it involved the Falcon

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Are we planning on seeing Joe Pesci in the ST...sure reads like it.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I tend to agree here.

All story elements aside, killing off an entire cast of iconic characters just isn't good for business.

Also, in a way, Luke shouldn't even be on the list because it is highly unlikely that should Luke be killed in Ep VII that he wouldn't be back as a ghost (or otherwise as suggested earlier).

Personally, I would like to see Luke go out as Qui-Gon and Obi did, and return in classic Star Wars fashion to guide the new hero, whoever he or she might be.

Han and Leia could be written out fairly easily without killing them off. I would assume they were prepared for this from the beginning as it was reported that they were told that the parts would not be re-cast if they didn't want to do the ST. These roles are way different than say, Indy's father, where you can just mention that they died sometime between films.

But again, I'm not convinced they are going to kill them all off, nor do they need to.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought Han from day 1 but apparently some rumours said Ford might want to keep Han Solo going longer, surprisingly, since he was asking for him to be killed off in ROTJ. I still put odds on it, though.

Luke's odds are also high due to the whole dying mentor thing but Luke Skywalker is a bit iconic to just bump off in the first movie. Also, from a story standpoint, if Luke didn't die in ROTJ I can't see where killing him off would be a good place to put it. Also, if Luke is more like Yoda in the PT wherein you need One Big Jedi to give the orders and stuff, he's gonna be through the whole ST.

Leia has the lowest odds of survival. It seems to be a thing that a mentor, older character does die at a certain point, she seems the most expendable and could generate drama for Luke/Han/the Next Gen.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We never did see Butch and Sundance die though;)

9. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I think there should be a sad tribute with Gandalfs "death" music for every storm trooper/cannon fodder who dies. That way it ends up being a 400 hour movie, and who can complain about 400 hours of Star Wars ?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I don't think sny of the big three will die, didn't George Lucas say he couldn't sell dead Han Solo toys, and DisneyLFL
    would be thinking along those lines, I'm thinking an older Jedi will die, maybe one of Luke's older students, someone who was a Padawan during the purge who survived.

Remember we didn't know about Qui Gon until TPM.

Plus they'll still be selling merchandise with the big three, It would be like killing Mickey Mouse, or Optimus Prime

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's hope merchandise doesn't dictate the story. I don't know if George Lucas ever said that but even if he did it's very easy to take quotes out of context and he could have simply been joking. At least it sounds like something that could be said in a joking manner. Either way Star Wars toys are going to sell even if one or more of the Big 3 die so I don't see any reason to put restrictions on the writers. I of course wouldn't mind them staying alive if there's a good story reason for it but I wouldn't want them to be afraid to kill any of them off either. Personally, I think Leia or Han will die in Episode VII with Luke passing away in Episode IX.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm trying to think of it from the perspective of Disney, and past experience.
    The Author of Vector Prime got death threats for killing off Chewie.

Book sales plummeted after LOTF after readers had their fill of having popular characters killed off.

We don'y know what kind of changes Abrams has made to the script, and the storyline since he took over,
    What George said about the story Pre Abrams/Kasdan may altered what he meant.

Also, on the Disney shareholder letter, thay stated that they were looking forward to introducing these Iconic characters to a new generation with new storylines.
    We;re looking forward to introducing a new generation of Star Wars characters to a new generation.

The next generation who we haven't heard of yet, is not Iconic.

Marvel Comics stated that they are excited about the cosmic adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, and chewie

not we're excited to tell stories about the next generation of Star Wars heroes.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Crazies will be crazy no matter what Disney does. If someone's going to threaten someone else over a fictional character then they have all sorts of problems and Disney shouldn't and won't change their story for people like that.

I haven't read those novels so I wouldn't know about those popular characters but from just reading through the Episode 7/EU thread I understand that much of the post-Endor EU had many more problems then killing off characters. Bad storytelling could very well factor into those poor sales numbers. Hopefully, that's something we won't have to worry about with the ST.

And they will be introduced to a new generation as it's all but confirmed that they will be a part of the ST. That doesn't mean they won't die at some point in the films.

They can be if they're well written characters who have the room to blossom.

They can tell stories of the Big 3 during the OT timeline, post-Endor timeline, during the ST timeline, etc. Lots of room for new Big 3 stories even if they die in the ST.

14. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I really hope they don't just off ALL 3! (of the big three). It would just seem like such a cop-out, to clear the way for the new generation and all that...it just feels....wrong.

I believe it would be fitting for them all to die by the end of Episode IX, but not ALL in VII. If one HAD to be chosen, I'd say Luke. Kind of mirroring Obi-Wan's role.

15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    In both trilogies, a son races home to save his female parent, who is murdered. I wonder if this will inform the new trilogy. Will Leia die?

Dra--- likes this.
  16. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I think everybody is going to die. The Force users will become Force Ghosts and the non-Force users will be transformed into giant blocks of carbonite.

Dra--- likes this.
  17. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd hate that. She's just as much a hero as Luke and Han so she should go out as one. Not murdered like Shmi and Beru were.

Yanksfan likes this.
  18. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    It's really anyone's guess who will die in EVII, so I kept from voting, but what I'm sure of is that 3PO & R2 will be "alive" and kicking not only in 7 but all through the sequel trilogy...

19. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    R2-D2 succumbs to rampancy.

20. Victorian Time Traveler

Victorian Time Traveler Jedi Master star 3

Nov 20, 2012
    I voted for Luke and Han.

I always envisioned Han and Chewie going down in the blaze of glory side-by-side, sacrificing themselves for the greater good in the first film by flying the Falcon into an enemy ship/weapon or something. It would certainly serve as an emotional catalyst for the Skywalker and Solo kids to fight for something, while Luke would have the rest of Eps 8 and 9 to "pass the torch" before going peacefully in 9.

21. Lord Miggler

Lord Miggler Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 6, 2013
    For me epecially in the case of Luke and Han they are either part of the story for the full three films or you kill them off. I just can't imagine they would just sit back being relegated to bit parts letting the kids sort it out when the galaxy they helped free from the clutches of Empire along with their family are in peril, it goes clompletely against their characters. Slightly different scenario with Leia as you could put her into the background of the story without much issue possibly fighting on the political front.

I don't agree that theses three characters are to Star Wars what Mickey Mouse is to Disney, if anything it's Vader and it's been shown that his death either as Anakin or Vader didn't effect toy sales same with Kenobi, same with Mace Windu etc You simply can't let the buisness side of things dictate the story.

I wouldn't be suprised to see one of the the three be killed off, possibly two and most definitely either Han or Luke (Luke can always return as a force ghost, it's something that Ben, Yoda or Anakin could have taught him post Jedi). There has to be a real/significant threat and sacrifice for the new characters otherwise where is the motivation, killing off a couple of the original cast while simultaneously completing what will hopefully be fulfilling story arcs would certainly give that as well as saying in no uncertain terms this is the passing of the torch and it is a new story for the new characters.

22. RyanForder

RyanForder Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 3, 2014
    I think Han could die but i can't see them killing Han and Leia off.

Here's a plot for you to think about:

Han dies saving his son/daughter? The sibling who he saved is so devastated they try to find a way to connect with Han. Then who pops up? Palpatine. Palpatine says he can bring Han back and then the Sibling commits themself to the Sith etc etc.

Needs to be a lot more thought out i.e. Why should he turn etc but its just a basic thought.

23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think that might be the saddest possible death they could pull off.

24. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2014
    Not just female parents. Luke did it with Vader too, and Leia (futility) pleads for Bail's survival in ANH. And if we expand it to parental figures, we get the "no" duo of Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan in TPM and Obi-Wan/Luke in ANH.

Really, parental death is huge in Star Wars. I would be surprised if it doesn't appear in VII in some form.

Immortiss likes this.
  25. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I voted for Luke and Han. Luke to parallel TPM. Or it could be Han since Harrison wanted a big death scene many years ago.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised if they threw us a curve ball and it's Leia, Chewie, offspring or someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.