main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Trailer for the next episode:

2. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Was I the only expecting more from the Stan Lee cameo from how it was advertised? If it was only going to be a tiny cameo like in all the movies, advertising SPECIAL GUEST STAR STAN LEE is a cheap way to draw views.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I think they had/have a far looser plan than they're insisting. Of course Mike would come back. Last night's episode was an indication that, when you get down to it, they know how to make good TV. I still find most of what came before very mediocre and not at all indicative of what was on last night.

4. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    At 91, it was good to see that Lee can walk, with his fem-stabilizers, anyway. I always get a kick out of him. And Simmons, wow,
    is such a good sport again, muffling that grenade, though it proved relatively harmless!

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Can I just say it's always nice to see Carlo Rota, even if he's a bad guy 75% of the time?

Lee's cameo...eh. Fun, but doesn't add much. This episode felt like we had real characters and not just lists of traits and habits. Fitz is great, and I think he got some good development/moments as a character earlier in the season - easily my favourite character, now that he's not just one half of a zany nerd duo. Simmons is also feeling like more of a character, and it feels kind of at odds with her earlier characterization - in a good way! Hard to describe, but she's a nerd in the best possible sense of the word, and her "normal" nature in earlier episodes falls pretty quickly when her interest is piqued. Well done.

Skye's bit of quick thinking with the ticket guy on the train was great. She's come a long way and feels the most rounded out as a character right now. Never thought I'd say it, but she was easily a highlight of this last episode. May is still the strong and silent type, but as the other characters get greater definition, she's actually got something to play that off of. I felt May was really one-note and dull (and honestly, I still think everyone raving about how awesome she is is a bit much), but now she actually has common ground with everyone else - I think they could've established that earlier instead of relying on the "loner" stuff, though. Ward's anti-social stuff hinted at in the premiere and messily handled in the past is finally working, too. His bit with May at the end shows that he's not the most tactful guy (far from it) and his discussion with Coulson shows that Ward's not necessarily emotionally mature, which works a lot better than him being stiff and dry.

And Coulson feels like the logical continuation of Movie Coulson. His humour, approachability, all that was sort of off the mark, but they got it right this time.

TL;DR - the cast sold this episode. Good on them, and I'm sticking out the rest of the season.

ma_petite likes this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think it helped, too, that they played with the format of the episode and the storytelling -- it not only suggests the show is maturing a little, but it gets us away from yet more undifferentiated MacGuffin-of-the-week stories. Splitting everybody up and giving us more story sequence by sequence really worked.

pronker likes this.
  7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Is there a time where Rashomon effect is not awesome?

pronker likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It was kinda odd timing for me for him to show because an actor friend of mine is currently sporting this look for a project and I couldn't help but make the mental connection to Rota:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penguinator and pronker like this.
  9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You mean that theory that was killed three episodes ago?

Dingo likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Clearly that had to be a Visual Interior Skull Identification Of Nerves. You know, V.I.S.I.O.N.

pronker likes this.
  12. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002

Given that people were trying to argue Coulson's "Please let me die" was a subtle LMD reference, I'd say anything that definitively kills these theories is a good thing.

pronker likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Considering there were a few people still trying to argue the LMD theory even after episode six, I agree with you.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    An LMD is not The Vision, and viceversa.

15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I'm not saying they are. What I am saying is the more definitive proof that kills these theories (Coulson as Vision, Coulson as LMD), the better.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    What I want to know is what was noteworthy about those hills: 'the three SOMETHINGS' Does anyone here speak Italian?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's just a sightseeing point they were passing by.

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Everyone keeps talking about Life Model Decoys, the Vision, and other relatively-plausible theories.

Honestly, let's just go all-in with the theories: they're all Skrulls.

darth-sinister likes this.
  19. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    This last episode was the best the series has ever offered so far.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I like the structure of this episode; going back over the same instances and replaying where they overlap.

I thought the trouble with the hologram interfcae was amusing.

Mae's action scenes were her best so far. Can you believe Ming-Na Wen is 50?? Oh sure she has a good stunt double I'm sure, but I didn't think she was 50.

If there's a cameo I'd like to see it'd be Black Widow going on an asskicking rampage with Mae.

21. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I hate the fact there's been so many long breaks, and we're only halfway through the first year. Most of the episodes have been pretty good so far, but the Clairvoyant stuff is getting repetitive. I hope they wrap it up quick.

Aside from Coulson, my fave characters so far are Ward and Skye. I did like how they gave Simmons more to do in the last episode, but I'm curious why Skye was labeled an 084 by SHIELD, who her parents are, and who the agent was that placed her at the orphanage. The way Coulson reacted to her being shot made me think he could be that agent himself, or perhaps even her father.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Somebody on another SHIELD comm I'm on said the Italian was garbage.

pronker likes this.
  23. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It was quite obvious that the train scenes were filmed in California on a barely disguised Amtrak train. Regular trains in Italy aren't remotely like that (nor do they have standard sleeping compartments or baggage cars), and you are lucky if they announce anything at all on the PA system, or if you can even hear said announcements... But what's a few irregularities in a show dealing with Norse gods and 0-8-4s?

Lauré :)

pronker likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm catching up on my DVR right now and I haven't read everything here but I am glad to see Peterson back.

pronker likes this.
  25. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    This episode was impressive. I hope this becomes the new standard and not an exception.

Penguinator likes this.