main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Earth Words and Their Star Wars Equivalents - a helpful index for writers

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthThesaurus, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    I was looking for rough estimates days,weeks, months. I need to know how much food to pack for my plot bunny.

2. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Believe me, you could never pack enough food. Plot bunnies breed like locusts.

3. Lea-El

Lea-El Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 13, 2005
    Related to trebles. Hem? Woops wrong galaxy.[face_blush]

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 likes this.
  4. Mayla

Mayla Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh, that is excellent. Thank you Draconarius! That's the sort of thing I was hoping for.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is probably no help but the answer is: it depends.

It depends on what part of the outer rim you are beginning your journey from, what ship you use and if you have problems using the main hyperlanes

There don't seems to be any universal once but there probably exist some equivalence in many cultures

http://abelgpena.blogspot.se/2014/01/star-wars-mouth-like-intergalactic.html

6. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Hey, great! You got the thread opened again!O:) There's probably more terms out there from the recent books.

7. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    Thanks for the reply! For my purpose I have settled on the "Four Rancors of Galactic Collapse," hopefully that sounds plausible.

pronker and Jedi_Lover like this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think that spacers would use mynock in the same way rat is used in the english language, f.ex. "You dirty mynock"; “You are a street mynock and will always be a street mynock”.
    The problem with the "Four Rancors of Galactic Collapse" is that it only work in cultures that have rancorns.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To continue with this: I would personally not use a Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse reference as the harbingers of the apocalypse and I don't mean that as a criticism to Tarsier, just that your comment made me think and I am using it as a reason for my rambling. What I would probably have used something that was a wink to the geek communities that I belong to. F.ex.:

"Anung Un Rama the key keeper, who will open the gate to the Endless Night."

"El-Aarik the White who will end the world with his Abyssblade and from the end of the old world create the new."

"And lo, I behold a mighty dragon coming from the sky and on its back a king in yellow. At his side was a blade and I know it was the end of all, for that blade was the final storm that would cleanse the universe."

"Njaralarhotep the Dark Pharaoh who will dance the dance of destruction that will end the universe and return it to its original chaos."

- I have three different references here, can anybody see them ?

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  11. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Some quick URL hacking points it to this thread. Unfortunately, not only is that thread broken even worse, it's also truncated. :(

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    That's a REALLY old version (several versions back) of that thread. HERE is the current version, it's stickied at the top of the Resource forum.
    It's not truncated, but not all the links work. If you find something you want, enter the thread title into the search bar and you should be able to find it, though the thread may be truncated.
    (I've been working on a newer version, but was hoping the truncation issue would be fixed first. [face_sigh] )

13. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Hmmmm.

#1: Ghostbusters
    #2: Lord of the Rings, perhaps?
    #3: Book of Revelations
    #4: Cthulhu mythos

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    #1: No
    #2: No
    #3: No
    #4: correct

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What kind of non-english (Earth based) titles have we seen in SW?
    And have we seen any (Earth based) religious titles beside priest and monk?
    Also do anybody know what fictive religious titles that have been used in SW?

16. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Gamiel It's not fictive, but Bail's addressing Jedi as 'Your Graces' always jolted me - it's a form of address for an Archbishop in the Church. It just sounded weird in the GFFA. And then there's Han's 'Your Worshipfulness', where did that come from ...

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I've always taken that line as sarcasm, and so I assume that it's a term he made up on the spot.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen any equivalent to "hold your horses"?

19. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Not that I know in canon, but I kinda like "hold your dewbacks" or "hold your tauntauns".

Ewok Poet and gracesonnet like this.
  20. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    I'll add "hold your rontos" to that.

gracesonnet and Chyntuck like this.
  21. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    You could also go with a variation of "cool your jets." I'd say "cool your thrusters," but that just sounds...wrong.

How about an equivalent for "two peas in a pod"? The first thing that came to my mind was "two Bimms in a burrow," except that Bimms don't actually live in burrows.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I like it

What do "two peas in a pod" mean?

23. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    "Two peas in a pod" means two of a kind. I wanted a character to say something along the lines of "you two were cozy as two peas in a pod," speaking in a somewhat derogatory tone, so maybe I really need something closer to "lovebirds?"

24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014

Two rancors in a pit? Two Ewoks in a tree? Two wampas in a cave? (OK, I'll stop here)

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Two of a kind?