main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else actually like Anakin's "NOOOO" added in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Make it 1001!

Pensivia likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I've articulated specifically what I think was wrong with it before, but my signature (which is not meant as a specific response to this, incidentally) really says all I will ever need to say on this subject.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Basically this.

4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    People are too easily embarrassed.

5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It ruined the imagery. Do we *really* need it spelled out that Vader is undergoing a massive inner-conflict between Palpatine and Luke? Are we, the audience, *really* that stupid? What's next? A later version implanting ghost images of Padme and Shmi (and maybe even Kid!Anakin) on Luke's side of the frame imploring Vader to do the right thing? Maybe have the ghosts 'help' Vader lift up Palpatine to toss him into the reactor? Then when he is leaning against the railing, he mutters, "Padme...Mother...I do this for you..." before Luke gets to him?

Because, y'know, we can't expect the audience to use their heads and contemplate the motives of a character on screen. Especially if it's the character looking back and forth between Luke and Palpatine, pausing as he does so...as if...as if he's trying to make up his mind. No, no, too vague and blank. We need to make it obvious.

6. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    It was not needed and a downgrade to the film. After seeing it on youtube, I decided not to buy the bluray set. My DVDs are good enough for now. It implies that the audience is too stupid to realize that Vader is struggling internally and finally chooses to save his son. The looking back and forth is enough. The drama is increased because we cannot see the face behind the mask. We know Vader is in conflict and it's escaping the Emperor's vision of events.

Disney really needs to re-release the saga without some of these changes.

*the other horrible changes IMO:

The Jedi Rocks scene in Jedi taking the place of the original Max Rebo Band song
    Greedo shooting first
    the extra rock in front of R2 in ANH (how did he get in there???????)
    "the comic relief" (yes in quotes on purpose lol) of the speeder almost hitting the Ronto in ANH

The others are fine.

7. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Have to agree with anti-Nooooo comments here. For me, the power of the moment has been undermined. Before the change, I had always been amazed at how much emotional power and content was communicated through just the music, lighting effects, Vader's silently looking at Luke, then at the Emperor, then back at Luke, etc.. Pretty impressive when you consider we were just looking at an impassive, mechanical mask!

8. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I know you won't like to hear this, but you guys have gotten it wrong.
    Anyone who believes that the scene in its original shape didn't get the point across, that Anakin went through inner turmoil and finally snapped out of it, would be very dumb.
    So that's obviously not why the "no" was added.
    It was added just to make him seem more human, more emotional, more Anakin.
    You don't have to like it, but please dislike it for the right reasons.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Since the original scene did get the point across, and with more emotional resonance for the audience than the change did...the change was pointless.

Unless Lucas was trying to give the middle finger to fans who thought Anakin was too emotional in the prequels.

The question also needs to be asked: if ROTJ Anakin was not emotional enough to be consistent with PT Anakin, why couldn't Lucas just make PT Anakin less emotional to be consistent with ROTJ Anakin?

The "NOOOO!" at the end of ROTS was fine, along with him smashing droids with the Force. This one, as others have said...it's the one change that I absolutely hated.

Plus the "demonstrating that Anakin is back" attitude does not take into account that Anakin in ROTJ is 46 years old, and even the most emotional people usually learn to put some brakes on that **** as they get older and learn that the entire galaxy does not revolve on how they personally feel at the moment. Anakin was 23 in ROTS and pretty immature for a 23-year-old. I thought his finally growing up was part of the point of ROTJ.

If Anakin did not or could not learn emotional control by the end of ROTJ...let's just say that my user name would be very different because I would not have been an Anakin fan in 1983.

10. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Now we're talking! :)

I just feel that he's less robotic and more human. The fact that he says something makes it feel like he's there, in the moment, as a human being, responding vocally and... I just like it. Anakin is human again and I like it!

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Lulu: Those of us that dislike this change do dislike it for the 'right' reasons. It's simply that we don't have to agree with you on what 'right' means. It's down to perceptions.

12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Not when people seem to misinterpret the motive behind it.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Lulu: Again, perceptions. You may not like it but they *differ* and that's all right.

14. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    It's an example of two of the things that I felt were the weak points of the PT.

The first is valuing telling instead of showing. There were more than enough non verbal elements in play that suggested that Vader/Anakin was conflicted and eventually chose to save his son. To add an overly melodramatic verbal cue in there ruins the poignancy of the moment. It would be like if during the wampa cave scene in ESB Luke said "I will use the force" before reaching out for his lightsaber. We get it. No words needed.

The second is the continued practise of going back and editing bits of the OT to make them fit the PT. It's like telling a long joke, delivering the punchline and then deciding that you need to go back and retell the first half again differently so people will get it.

15. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    :confused:

It doesn't make him more human. It makes him more of a cartoon character.
    It diminishes the greatness of the moment. What the "Nooo" was trying to achieve was already achieved by John Williams Force theme playing as he lifted the Emperor above his head.

John Williams completed the scene. "Nooooo" diminishes it.

Was a thousand times better when he silently musters the will to come back, tosses the Emperor overboard, and than you see him on the ledge wheezing like a wounded animal.

It kind of blows my mind anyone likes this change.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    ^^^^^ This.

The original scene has me in tears. The Blu-Ray version is just annoying.

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I feel the EXACT same way!
    And actually, it isn't the same no from ROTS, not sure where they got it from. He clearly says it differently... maybe it was an alternate take

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't really understand these refutations of "it's calling us stupid". We still see him struggling silently for a bit. The first "No..." only comes like 2 seconds before the big "NOOOO". Still plenty of time to interpret his thoughts until then, then the first one is like a "Was I right?! Is there a glimmer of hope after all?!" then with the second one, it, just as his birth as Darth Vader, beautifully parallel's Vader's death and the rebirth of Anakin Skywalker.

Anakin is as he always was. He didn't repress his emotions, he vibrantly displayed them, whether he wanted to or not.

Of course this is all my personal perception, but I just thought I'd share it. Ironically, in contrast to most people here, not only do I find it more emotional and more symbolic, but just more exciting in general! Spine chills and tears every time

Andy Wylde likes this.
  19. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    Prequel Anakin was horrible and OT Vader was amazing. No need to bridge the gap between shoddy film making and script writing by making OT Vader more like poorly executed Anakin.
    Seriously, why not just add a scene in ANH with Vader telling Tarkin, "The Emperor is overly critical, he never listens, he's jealous, it's not fair!!"

Oh, God, I hope Lucas isn't reading this!

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's your right. Just as those of us that don't read it like you do are entitled to our views. You like it, great. Some of us don't need words to make the scene's point.

WAC: [face_laugh] Love the Tarkin ref and the proposed Vader lines. Tarkin wouldn't care though. I don't think OT Vader needs to be like PT Anakin. It would make the character seem to be regressing, IMO. I agree with your sentiments.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't dislike PT Anakin the way some did but the fact that he changed by the OT was part of the point.

There is the age factor that I mentioned and there is also life events and circumstances.

22. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    I suspect if the prequels were re-done by a strong script writer, strong actor as Anakin, and strong director, Anakin defenders would look back and see how bad he actually was in what we've been given so far.
    Imagine a young Russell Crow portraying Anakin as "the great Jedi Knight" and then compare it to Hayden's bratty whining and complaining.

You would look back at the original Anakin with the same level of hate most people have for Jar Jar Binks.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  23. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Let's hope not. I bet he'd write down notes to implement the 'ghosts at the end' idea I had into a later edition of ROTJ.

@ Lulu- What's there to misinterpret? We know from the context of the scene and Vader's body language *exactly* what's happening. Let me break it down for you. Luke (the hero, and Vader's son) is being tortured by Palpatine (Vader's master). Luke had spent all that time previous to this moment telling Vader that there is hope for him, that he can come back. Luke *will* die if Vader doesn't do anything. Palpatine had made that very clear with his "...you will die." line. Luke is going to die a slow, painful death.

At this exact moment, it's a literal do or die decision for Vader. Does he just stand there and let Palpatine kill Luke, or does he intervene knowing he'll likely die himself in the process? That's why he looks back and forth, he's trying to figure out what he should really do. The second he looks at Palpatine and begins lunging at him, we know he's made up his mind. Palpatine will die, and the man inside that black armor is Anakin Skywalker. The music, the atmosphere, and the body language was all bringing one thing to the forefront of our thoughts. Anakin Skywalker has returned, if only for a little while.

But it's your right. I disagree, however, but you get to believe that this was a good change.

24. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny."

This is an important scene in Empire Strikes back that highlights why Anakin is special, and what makes him the most powerful Jedi of all time.
    It's something EU authors and video game designers have regularly dumped on with their inability to understand the importance of dialogue.

There is no coming back from the dark side, period.It's what was supposed to make Anakin's story unique to the whole history of the Force. It's not something you hop back and forth between at your leisure.

So for me there's just no topping the original scene, which was building and building and building and finally culminates with John William's musical score lifting the audience as Vader lifts the Emperor and struggles with him over to the reactor shaft.

He should of left it alone.

Seems to me it was just Lucas trying to come up with worthless ways to justify yet another re-release . $$$$$$$$$ > art

25. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    To be fair to the Special Editions, this was not added until the Blu-Ray version. Just checked the rip of it I have on my computer from the DVD, and there is no "Noo."

I think it's fine to not like changes made to the Star Wars movies, but complaining or hating Lucas for them is a bit much. Just watch the version you like. If you like the original versions, buy the tapes off Ebay, get a VCR from Goodwill, and have yourself a good ol' time. Contrary to popular belief, the changes weren't automatically uploaded to all prior recordings and media.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.