main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The best aspect of the EU is KOTOR.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    When in doubt, do not read into it.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Please no more Kevin J. Anderson. [face_praying]

Ryus likes this.
  4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Its Kevin J Anderson... I was planning on burning it not reading it. ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Maybe this is a hint that he's doing the episode seven novelization.

6. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    LOL, I enjoyed those stories. They weren't literary masterpieces but they were fun.

Iron_lord and Dra--- like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I was a young teenager and a main character was a teenager who was best friends with Han Solo and then went on a crazy Force/dark side trip. That series was directly hardwired into my DNA at the time (and it was all in paperback!).

Iron_lord and Dra--- like this.
  8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^yes, till Kyp betrayed Han time and time again... and everyone forgave him for killing billions just because he was a confused teen and Luke said he learned his leason [face_sick]

I found them even more nauseating than the time I was on a tour boat returning from the great barrier reef during a hurricain (or is it cyclone there, forget). There must have been over 100 people seasick out of their mind to the point they where all sprawled out on the floor and the crew was cleaning up the mess... and his other books only got worse than that.

The only salvagable part of those books imho was Yavin 4 as the setting and the concept of using Exar Kun as the villain (though 2 year old Jacen Solo defeating him kinda killed the final delievery of that plot line). The force powers in that book started to approach The Force Unleashed levels, and his next book Darksaber surpassed it by force throwing a fleet of Star Destoyers (including a Super Star) across a solar system in a matter of seconds.. :oops:

Kevin J Anderson should stick with Dune where he can write about Emperor God Worms all he wants and never return to a GFFA. We don't serve his kind here, he'll have to go to other conventions.

TheBBP and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  9. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I'm hearing that it's probably been cancelled.

10. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    Ugg. I had forgotten about that.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll look it up for the annotations.

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Jacen doesn't defeat Kun - he defeats a bunch of Kun's monsters. And that's through letting Luke effectively take control of him.

And in Darksaber- there was no SSD in the fleet thrown across the system (an SSD does arrive shortly after the fleet is thrown though).

The trick involved all of the students working together, on the top of the Great Temple (a force-enhancer created by Kun) and channelling all their power together into one guy - who did the throwing.

And died immediately afterward from the damage that much Force-channelling did to his body.

There was a hardback released - way back in 1994:

Jedi Academy hardback

13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Same difference, still a toddeler with a lightsaber who defeats the villain. Its facepalm worthy.

I tried but could never stomach rereading a few of the Bantam books, Darksaber included, anyways who cares if its even a blockade runner and not a superstar. Point is it is suchba bad plot device and overkill of force powers it should never have happened. Just like Luke walking on lava in Jedi Search, anakin burned just from getting near it but luke just had happy thoughts and became immune. The death of the one student as a cost honestly I just find the icying on the cake, it clearly means the author knew how wrong what he was doing power scale wise was but this cost of a red shirt student is a horribly predictible thrope, its not a page turner but a book closer.

And as stated, I knew of the hardback which was released in 1994, hence me saying this rerelease could be a 20th ann ed... the difference is the orginal hardcover was about 800 pages (all three books) but this new one is only 250 (a ~100 shorter than book 1). So either this has got very tiny font or something else is going on.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Rouge Squadron? I hate those guys! Rogue Squadron, OTOH, rocks on toast.

my kind of scum and Iron_lord like this.
  15. Blazer-Smith

Blazer-Smith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 28, 2004
    Palpatine is still alive and he (breaks up laughing)

Sorry, can't say that with a straight face.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He teleported obviously.

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mara Jade. Beautiful Redhead......enough said.

Ryus likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Speaking of canon, this interview has a few comments about that subject. http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02...d-showing-the-beginning-of-the-rebel-alliance

There's this: "Pablo is also like a breathing, walking, talking Wookieepedia. There are moments you can watch as Dave actually tries to stump Pablo with something, but it's very, very difficult to do. So what that means is that, even when my knowledge falls short, I've got someone to go to to say, ‘Okay, I want to do something like this. What can we use from the canon to fit this story?"

And this: “We're all very dedicated, and we know this show is going to be canon, so we take that responsibility very seriously. We know that on the one hand there's an audience who's going to be watching this that knows everything there is to know about Lucasfilm canon and knows beyond that tons of stuff from the Expanded Universe, which may or may not turn out to be canon once Lucasfilm decides what is official and what's not."

Darth_Pevra, EHT, BigAl6ft6 and 4 others like this.
  19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    One of the clearest statements yet.

EHT, Krueger, Ryus and 1 other person like this.
  20. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    [​IMG]
    So I see the Millennium Falcon, a planet next to it and Yoda.

Thoughts guys and girls?

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My thoughts generated by this picture are many but I will go with "Let's not post that picture in Every. Single. Thread". :p

The Hellhammer, Dra---, Ryus and 2 others like this.
  22. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I want to weigh into the "darth maul coming back from the dead" from a few pages back. Maw was a being that was cut in half and survived, see Dark forces 2. Some of the sith maters in KOTR 2 were also only kept alive due to their dark side powers. If Vader could survive having all his limbs cut off and being set on fire next to flowing magma, only to be turned into a cyborg person; why couldn't maul?

Fastback, Ryus, Dra--- and 1 other person like this.
  23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Then you've got Sith from comics like Tales of the Jedi:

This guy, Simus, survived beheading:

[​IMG]

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Because having your spinal column severed, and several major organs sliced through, and then falling several hundred meters, shattering every remaining bone in your body, and turning you remaining organs to jelly...isn't survivable. Severed limbs and burns are. Especially when help arrives immediately.
    Which is even more ridiculous.

TKT, Darth_Pevra and EHT like this.
  25. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That's why Star Wars is part fantasy and only part sci-fi. Characters survive things you don't survive in the real world. We explain these things in the fantasy genre with magical or mythological reasoning: he survived on hate, or the darkside gave him unnatural powers.

I have a nice quote for the realists on the board:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.