main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Well looks like Sif definitely gets on the bus.
    [​IMG]

And a blurb from producer Jed Whedon, "We always have our radar up for ways to tie our series into the Marvel films and bringing in an Asgardian really cements that connection. Lady Sif comes here on a hunting mission — sent by Odin — to find her arch-enemy Lorelei and bring her back to Asgard. It throws our agents for a loop when they find themselves in a fight right alongside this powerful woman from Thor's world."

So Sif has been sent by 'Odin'...

2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Slowly but surely setting up Thor 3, maybe?

Also, I am glad we'll have the opportunity of seeing Sif being badass, as Jaimie Alexander's injuries precluded her more active participation in Thor 2's fights.

Lauré :)

Juliet316 and GenAntilles like this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If Cap makes a cameo I hope he signs one of Coulson's collector cards.

lbr789, GenAntilles and pronker like this.
  4. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    That's one of the things I'd like to see, along with a May/Black Widow sparing session, Tony Stark meeting his resurrected buddy Coulson.

5. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I could care less about Sif appearing. Less characters and more CHARACTER.

Penguinator likes this.
  6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

"buddy"

"His name is 'Agent!'"

7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    That goes contrary to all the complaints up to this point which have mostly been 'NO MORE ORIGINAL CHARACTERS, MORE MOVIE CHARACTERS AND SUPERHEROES!!!'

Up till now they whole show has just been character building and character establishment.

No. "His name is Phil." :p

Juliet316 likes this.
  8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    You'll note that is said to someone not named Phil after Phil has been killed :p

9. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Obviously Tony knew Fury would bring him back somehow and choose to say 'is' rather than 'was'

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Sure, let's go with that :p

GenAntilles likes this.
  11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Poor character development you mean. A bunch of generic people with some family issues. Can't tell you how many times I see post or just plain talking to people who would love nothing more than for that plane to go down. I'll say that recently some good character development has come these characters way. Taking Fitzgerald and making him a serious character has helped him out greatly. No help for Simmons. Ward has nothing interesting about him at all. Only when Skye's crying does she get some interest. Mai is just Mai. Show would definitely benefit making deathlok a full time cast member

12. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Show wasted valuable time doing goofy crap with these people and not taking them seriously. Can't blame people for feeling no interest to them.

13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, no help for Simmons? The character that is panicked about going into the field but yet has twice attempted to "throw herself onto a grenade" (once literally) to save the rest of the team?

14. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well I'm someone who has been satisfied since the beginning so I have no issues with any of the characterization. And Simmons is adorable and should never change.

15. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    The character's name is Leopold Fitz.

It's Melinda May.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    and she survived. Like I said, no help.

and getting the names wrongs just shows how interesting they are to me. Then in truth, I've only started trying to learn their names the past few episodes.

17. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Point is, you can't blame the people who have complaints against this show. If it were to end up getting cancelled, which it won't, it's the show's fault. The slow burn and so called character developement, if you can call it that, didn't help this show any. The monster of the week thing is fine, but it was never connected to a full on story arc. Just random story after random story, that threw in this family issue for this character, or had Skye cry for a scene, etc. Valuable time was lost by making things to goofy early on, and not taking things that serious. Valuable time was lost period in a show people expected great things from, with a mans name connected to it who is known for great characters and great stories. So even if he wasn't the show runner, they atleast expected it to have his charm some what. The show has gotten better, but it is not great. Not by any means. I mean, damn, our new main bad guy is some business man. The show might as well be CSI with Marvel stamped on it.

things is, the Marvel movies have already set up this world. The Netflix shows are going to give people what they want in the superhero department. How can AOS compete with a cast of mostly generic characters that people see on any other cop show, who has taken to long to get it's @#$^ straight? And there is no excuse for not tieing this thing to the superhero part of the Marvel U early on instead pulling crap from the X-Files.

Arrow came out guns blazing early, and thus has gotten a lot of deserved praise. It is also very much tied to it's universe. It established it's characters early, and made them all interesting people. In fact mostly people agree that Laurel is the only odd one out. People want to see only one die on that show, as opposed to almost the entire cast of the other.

Love the show, fine. Just saying that those who hate it, have good reason for hating it.

Hope the show retains it's forward progress going forward. Still, either way, I recommend season 2 start with a soft reboot, and get things moving at a quicker pace with a clear focus. And some Howling commandos

18. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Keep in mind Arrow got the same hate when it first started. Every show is terrible in the opening first half.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Except Battlestar Galactica

The2ndQuest and VadersLaMent like this.
  20. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    and it listened to the criticism against the show quick. Killed the Laurel and Oliver kissy face stuff, gave Thea a new direction, etc. Show runner on AOS said they have heard the criticism, but will stay the course. Add this to early reports of Big Daddy Whedon not being happy with the early scripts, and having to try to fix them himself. I wasn't happy with those early scripts either.

AOS has a lot going agaisnt it. Fixing this a little bit, and tweaking that, ain't gonna fix this shows problems when not only does it have competition from DC but it's own Marvel as well. Show better do something quick or most people will see no reason to watch when they can just binge watch DareDevil or Luke Cage on NF. And as of right now this show has done nothing to really be worth remembering when it's gone.

21. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    AOS seems to be bending over backwards to their own detriment trying to meet fan needs. Fans want super heroes, well now we have Sif and Deathlok. Fans want Sky to be useful, now she's a latent super. Fans want Fitz-Simmons to stop being witty and funny, now they are darker. Fans want the mystery of Coulson and Skye's family solved, solved in two episodes.

And I thought AOS was more for general audiences? Like the NCIS crowd, so the formula appeals to them while they wouldn't necessarily be interested in a full on superhero show like Dardevil or Luke Cage which will be mostly watched by more hardcore fans.

22. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    For the umpteenth time, "Agents of SHIELD" is not a superhero show, nor was it ever intended to be. Its about the people on the ground, who do the somewhat "normal" things while folks like Tony Stark are flying through the air. In essence, the series chronicles what the SHIELD organization is all about: protecting the innocent as best they can, without alarming the general public. Think of it as a cross between "Men in Black" and "Law & Order".

23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah, I expected it to be 'NCIS... but in the MCU.'

24. Moviefan2k4

Dec 29, 2009
    That's a pretty apt description, too. First and foremost, the series is a crime procedural focused mainly on the agents themselves. For those who want huge epics, you'll have to wait for the films like everyone else. Joss Whedon helped form the idea for the show, but he doesn't control it; his brother Jed and Maurissa Tancharoen handle the bulk of that. Joss is basically a consultant, like Chris Nolan was for "Man of Steel".

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    We have Sif for one episode, but yes we do have Deathlok, and as I said earlier the show would benefit from Richards becoming full time. Says a lot that people latched on to the only character who had an interesting story early on, and it helped that he was a likeable Whedon vet. Still, most people complained about the characters we had, not about wanting superhero's. If anyone actually thought Iron Man was gong to show up, they were just a little stupid, and I believe those people were few and far between.

Now I was just saying what the show runners said themselves about listening to criticism, and according to them a lot of this stuff they had planned. If they did, then that goes to the wasting valuable time stuff. If that's not true, then it comes off like they are forcing a way to make Skye interesting. So, up in the air if what they are doing is good or bad. Might just be scrambling to do anything to salvage what they've got. Simmons is still the same, wanted to bash my head against the wall with the goofy scene with Coulson where she's trying to act. Fitz on the other hand, Fitz is the biggest improvement. I like Fitz a lot now. Best decision the show made so far.

I thought AOS was for everyone? Because the age bracket that watches that show is little bit older than your comic book reader, and kids definitly don't dig cop shows. If they are only targeting the NCIS crowd, which it kinda seems, then no wonder a good many people hate the show and the rating dropped. If they wanted the comic and movie fans to jump on board, then they should have thrown in some Howling Commandos and Superhero's early. Which all goes back to the if of this show getting cancelled, it's its own fault.