main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Trades Thread (Discussion and Review for All Comic TPBs)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013

Its crazy for me to say it, but i honestly think that Zayne and Gryph have the best chemistry and are the best duo in a SW comic PERIOD.

And i just love the fact that the KOTOR series has a lot of humor in the series. u dont see that with a lot of SW comics.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't read every single comic out there but those two are the best duo in Star Wars period imo. I never get tired of them. Sure I need to read the final Omnibus worth of comics but the 1st two omnibuses are perfect.

Django Fett33 likes this.
  3. Django Fett33

Django Fett33 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 19, 2013
    Force Smuggler
    I doubt there are people who have read every single SW comic. Thats just craziness to me lol. Totally agree the 1st 2 Omnibus are fantastic. The 3rd isnt going to be, unfortunately but im still buying it.

And i wish there was more humor in SW comics, there way too serious, its okay to have fun with your comic characters now and again. I know 'Tag and Bink' had a lot of humor that I liked but is that really a legitimate series compared to Legacy (I know Legacy had no humor whatsoever) and KOTOR.

4. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
    I've decided to get all the Omnibuses. One question though: Do they have the numbers on their spines???

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just part of the separate series'. Clone Wars 1, 2 and 3 for example.

6. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Ah, thanks!!!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I agree. I haven't fell in love with a Star Wars character so fast, for a long time. They easily are in my top ten. And the humor, I don't typically care about humor in Star Wars, but I do with them. They are an example of how do have comedic characters in Star Wars. Oh, they're so great. The plot has ceased to matter that much to me and these characters are my main interest. Not to say I don't love the story line, I absolutely do.

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you like how JJM does on KOTOR, be sure to check his other SW work, the criminally abbreviated Knight Errant.

WMIRTUTSF likes this.
  9. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I've actually been thinking about doing that! My only concern is paying for such a short series. Especially, since I'll be doing it because I'm hopping for mpre characters like Zayne. That would be hars to live up to, so I fear dissapointment. Still, if I can still find it it a few months a may purchase it.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Darth Vader and the Ninth Assassin. I expected a disaster and didn't get it. I understand the disappointment with it -- it doesn't really bring everything together in the end -- but until then, it's fairly good. The art is great, at least until a guy who's just okay takes over for the final issue, and the story is interesting, with Vader investigating a bizarre remote world and its chaos cult while stalked by an assassin seeking revenge for a client whose son Vader killed. It's got some solid action, solid Vader characterization, and a good hook. It's pretty good writing right up to the end, when Siedell seems to lose control of the script a little. Things just sort of start happening, the assassin's plan is never sufficiently revealed, and then we get the reveal that Palpatine was orchestrating the thing all along, which I guessed from the beginning, but without fully resolving every question. Had it stuck the landing, I'd have said it was a very good comic, even if it doesn't really get away from the Dark Times Vader-story template of Vader having to take down some random threat (and even more specifically to Darth Vader and the Weirdly Named Series, some random threat to the Emperor and himself), but with the ending as is -- weak, but not terrible -- I'd say it was just passable. Loved the art, though.

Gorefiend likes this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'd suggest you consider it for a few reasons:

1. There may not be time for it to get Omnibused and it's only 3 books.

2. Those 3 TPBs are very good in themselves.

3. There's a killer novel too that links up perfectly with the comics as, no surprise, it's also written by JJM!

4. Kerra isn't Zayne, but like him, she's a character you can't help want to see succeed.

5. Finally, if you want a creative and truly EU story that pushes things and tries to innovate, you have to check it out, at least Volume 1 TPB and the novel.

WMIRTUTSF, Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  12. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    OK, you've convinced me. Where does the novel fit in? Also, does the series have a satisfying conclusion? I'm just wondering because it's so short.

Are there any other super awsome and creative comics I should look into? I didn't want to spend much more money right now, but if I'm enjoying these comics, I might as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The novel fits in between TPBs 1 and 2 but you can read it any order without much difficulty. Despite being curtailed, I'd say the Escape arc works well as a conclusion.

As for other smart stuff - Agent for the Empire has to make your list, sadly only 2 volumes but they're so very classy.

If you're a Fett fan then the 2 Blood Ties trades, with Scaif art, are well worth getting - but I'm a big fan of Scaif's work. I was adamant there couldn't be a smart Fett tale with all the PT rubbish but Taylor pulls off a blinder in making it all work.

There is Dawn of the Jedi but I'm not sure how the 3rd trade will affect my view of it.

Purge is worth buying for the final 2-part story alone, it's only 1 TPB. Similarly, Darth Vader & The Ghost Prison lives up to its rep for excellence.

I've focused on stuff that's just 1-2 volumes, but if you're after something bigger then:

Legacy, volumes 1-2, is highly recommended - grab the big hardbacks that DHC are putting out for Volume 1, then grab the Legacy: Volume II trades, there'll be 3 in all likelihood, with the first already out.

If you like reading comics in digital form then head over to the DHC Digital store and grab all 20 issues of Al Williamson and Archie Goodwin's Classic Star Wars. It won't be available to buy after 31 December 2014 in digital form from DHC and there's no info yet on how Marvel will handle that. If you want to know why it's so good then have a look at this:
    http://eleven-thirtyeight.com/2014/01/classic-star-wars-re-visited-20-years-later/

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    How big are the Legacy Hardbacks, compared to the Omnibuses?

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Just over twice as thick as the thinner Omnibuses - Dark Times I, Infinities, Adventures.

16. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Size/Height wise, I mean?

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think about 1 cm or so wider and higher?

18. JediFett10

Feb 8, 2008
    Thank you!!!

19. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks that looks like a good list. It's disappointing that I will never be able to read all of the comics. Thanks for the suggestions.

20. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I've opted for that which I think you'll be able to obtain easily - there's a load I haven't mentioned due to either availability or the variable nature of the material. Both apply to the X-Wing comics.

21. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    Days of Fear

This arc continues the excitement from the previous issues. I was sad to see Jareal and Camper split up with Zayne and Gryph, but I did love the opening scene with them sparing. Zayne lost, but I didn't feel thtat he performed to badly. I expect his shields to be useful in the future.

In this arc, our heroes flee to Serrocco. This was an event that I was curious about since I heard Atton Rand mention it in KOTOR 2. Now we can finally see what happens and it didn't disappoint. I did find their reasons for attacking the Stereb cities to be fairly predictable. When we find that the Republic set up base near the Stereb cities and it was mentioned that the Mandalorians wouldn't attack; I had a feeling they'd view these actions as dishonourable. And what do you know, they did and bypassed the Republic fleet. I will say that I didn't mind that I guessed this, it fits with their warrior culture and it fit perfectly with my ideas of the battle.

Prior to the attack there were many fun scenes at the Republic camp. Gryph's plan to make money was great and his conversations with Zayne are still amazing. Granted I've said this before, but every story arc reminds me how much I love these characters and I feel like I care for them more with every moment I spend reading. I especially enjoyed the parts were Zayne was trying to convince Gryph to leave, but his greed kept him there. This scenario created interesting interactions.

This arc provides us with good information regarding the character of Saul Karath. Probably the best since KOTOR. I can't say I'm surprised that he joined the Sith; it fits his personality. I will say that I can't figure out how Carth respected him so much. I'd think their personalities would have clashed. Speaking of Carth I found the final scene of the arc particularly sad. Carth tells Zayne that he tricked the Sterebs into fleeing underground and then says he'd hope someone would do the same for his family. As we know Telos is bombarded in the next war and his wife is killed and his son joins the Sith. Carth has been a great addition to this cast so far and I'm happy to see he supports Zayne.

Nights of Anger

Here we see some of the best characterization of Jareal so far. I'm really enjoying her character. This and the next story arc left me really anxious to find out more about her. Her interactions with Lord Adasca were interesting. At first we are led to believe that he is trying to help, but soon find that he had ulterior motives. He's a minor villain, but a fun one. I enjoy how John Jackson Miller can make each antagonist unique and interesting. He does a far better than most authors in the EU often do.

There were some nice seens with members of the Jedi Covenant. We find the Raana is having terrible visions. They encourage her to spend more time trying to kill Zayne. We also have an interesting conversation between Lucien and Haazen.

This was revealed in a previous issue but I didn't mention it, so I think I should here. I'm shocked at how high placed these Jedi are. Raana was sent to assist the Supreme Chancellor. That's not a job for an ordinary Jedi. Facing such high ranking Jedi does not make Zayne's situation look any better.

This issue sets up the next one nicely, with us knowing that Adasca is trying to sell the space worms to one side in the war. The cliff hanger at the end was painful (in a good way).

Daze of Hate

We slowly begin to see multiple factions enter Lord Adasca's ship. I enjoyed the interactions between them. It's always fun to see enemies forced to interact peacefully. Granted fighting broke out, but for a time they were mostly talking. Still they were great scenes.

Rohlan and Mandalor met. We do't really find out any thing new; we already were told how they dealt with deserters, but it was fun to see it played out. Despite fleeing battle Rholan was turned into a hero. So the Mandalorians hate cowardice so much they would rather lie about someone they'd lable as such, instead of revealing those traits. This is interesting information and it does build up their culture.

One thing I found interesting was that this is a major moment in the war and Zayne is in the middle of it. For someone in his position I found this to be an interesting moment. Then he is thrown into prison and chained to master Lucien, which led to great dialogue. I felt that they actually made a good team- when Lucien wasn't trying to kill Zayne. We also see his shields saving his life. I knew that would happen. And after many issues we are returning to the main conflict. While I've enjoyed all the stories it is nice to have this plot begin to become a bigger part of the series.

Lastly, the story arc ends with Zayne stopping Lord Adasca. His plan to make it look like the Mandalorians were attacking was clever. I enjoy seeing him take initiative. It further emphasizes that while weak, he is not incompetent. After the battle, he learns that Gryph is still alive and is leading the Tarisian resistance. I can't wait to see how that is playing out.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Okay, what do we think about the Tales collections? I have the first four issues equaling the first trade. I know the last trade goes for canon stories (I already have the Kyle issue). Are the collections entertaining? Keep in mind that I might enjoy silly stuff like that two-pager I once saw in a store in which Vader prepares for his big reveal but still messes up, and I love A Death Star Is Born.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think if you approach them without any concern for canon or the lack of you'll have a ball.

Resurrection is a brilliant execution of what is on any level a really crappy concept - Vader vs Maul.

The Emperor's Court is a worthy sequel to A Death Star Is Born.

I'm forgetting loads of others and any anthology title will always run the risk of being hit and miss, but with those conditions accepted, if you can get them at a reasonable price I'd say to do so - if only because who knows when you'll see something so experimental and freewheeling again?

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Tales is absolutely fantastic. Not every story is going to be a hit (honestly, most of the attempts at comedy are crap -- and that includes Rubio), but the anthology format means there's always another story coming in a few pages, and there are a plethora of great stories in there that deserve more attention. Plus the anthology format itself is an attraction -- the simple experience of having so many neat little stories packed together is pretty great. You're getting a lot of bang for your buck. Tales is one of Dark Horse's top accomplishments, but it gets so little notice. It's worthy of being ranked up there with Republic, KOTOR, XWRS, and everything else. Everyone should own Tales.

Django Fett33 and Gorefiend like this.
  25. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Thanks, I might start checking them out. Since there's not a lot of new stuff to distract...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.