main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Tusken Raider/Krayt Dragon confusion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Why is it that Tusken Raiders are scared of Krayt dragon calls when every single one of them had to kill one just to become an adult?

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    For the same reason that the Predator hunts the Xenomorph to graduate to hunting Arnold Schwarzenegger.

3. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008

I don't think you understood what i'm saying. Why do Tusken Raiders flee when they hear a Krayt Dragon call. They shouldn't be scared of them since any tusken that is an adult had to kill one as a ritual to become a an adult.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I think it has to do with no one caring.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The fact that you succeeded in killing a ferocious monster once in your life because it was compulsory--"just do it or be expelled of the community"--doesn't mean you'd be eager to do it again when there's no need.

AusStig, Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    even in a new hope when there are 3 or 4 of them and they hear it they get scared. if one of them could kill it why would they be scared if there are 3-4 Tusken Raiders. But i guess what i think is that there are different types of Krayt Dragons, some that are more powerful then others.

7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Depends. You catch a sleeping Krayt and kill it, that's one thing. A Krayt is awake and pissed off.... well, you better watch out. That Krayt rampage in Kenobi was pretty intense.

Iron_lord and Contessa like this.
  8. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    There are indeed different subspecies. The common krayt dragon, or canyon krayt dragon, is 30 meters large. The greater krayt dragon is 100 meters large... or more. Moreover, Obi-Wan did not just imitate any krayt cry. The radio drama of Episode IV had him say:
    He said hunting cry. This is not just a moan or a call, this is the cry of a dragon ready to kick some.

9. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008

Yeah i just finished that book today. Really good. Anyone know what kind of Krayt Dragon was in Knights of the old republic?

10. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Common canyon krayt dragon. See the scale difference with a picture of the wo subspecies fighting. [​IMG]

Valin__Kenobi and Contessa like this.
  11. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    They wanted to hunt something even uglier and more annoying?

Gee, why doesn't anybody want to live on Tatooine? I wonder...

DigitalMessiah and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    Considering it's an EU concept of killing a Krayt written years after the 1976 shooting script - I think that explains it all.

13. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    That's the Doylist answer, but we might also consider the Watsonian one. ;-) (cf. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WatsonianVersusDoylist)

14. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    What I love most about that picture are the two Sand People down there. "CEEEEE-RIPES man, let's get outta here!"

Contessa, Mia Mesharad and LelalMekha like this.
  15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Because 9 out of ten Tuskans just bring home the bones of an already dead one and talk about how awesome they are. The tenth one gets eaten.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the Kenobi novel's canyon krayt was supposed to be an outsized specimen - on the order of 60m long. Maybe it had lived much longer than most- since they continue growing all their lives?

17. jacktherack

Mar 19, 2008
    Ok so Revan can't even take down a lesser krayt dragon without using a bomb yet simple Tusken Raider can?

18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

Not Arnie! :(

19. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Once again, the question is: why would he want to fight it directly when there's another, safer way around? This is called craftiness. Depending on who you ask, craftiness is either the attribute of a good warrior (the Greek) or a disgrace (the Romans), but at any rate it exists and makes sense.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  20. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    That picture makes me think of the Saxons and the Britons.

21. BenKenobi1138

BenKenobi1138 Jedi Knight

Nov 12, 2013
    There was a tribe in Africa that required their men to go hunt down a lion in order to become a man. I think that might be where the EU got the idea. Even though each man in the tribe had theoretically killed a lion, if a group of men were out hunting, then discovered they were being hunted by a lion, i bet they would attempt to escape until it became obvious they had to fight.

22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    This. It's a question of common sense. A rite of initiation is a one-time event the rules of which don't apply to normal life.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I find it hard to believe that all the Tusken tribes have a Krayt hunting ritual. Maybe the few really hardcore groups. But if every single Sand Dude on the planet had to kill a dragon before they could vote and buy cigarettes I don't think there'd be many Krayts left.

Or Tuskens left, whichever works.

24. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There'd be smart Tuskens left, ones smart enough to find a skeleton in the sand like Threepio and Artoo.

25. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I never interpreted it as the Tuskens thinking a literal Krayt dragon was coming. I mean, Kenobi is walking towards them in plain view.

I think they were frightened of the spooky wizard who lives in the area and makes scary Krayt dragon noises.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.