main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series No Romance between Main Characters Plz

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Should there be Romance between some of the main Characters?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. maybe

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You don't want to see Romance?

I'll make sure YOU do :p

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I've pretty much accepted that there WILL be romance, and that I feel it's highly probable it's going to follow the same pattern as Han/Leia or even the Ahsoka/Lux pseudo-romance, in that the pair will start off not liking each other and then eventually develop feelings.

I would think that starting a show with a couple that's already together and then going through the strains of that relationship would still eliminate the room for potential Anakin/Padme style awkwardness in building the relationship up.

Part of me just wants this show to be more ballsy and I highly doubt it will be. For instance, establish a couple and then kill one of them off, showing what the surviving member of the relationship has to go through on the road to coming to terms with the death.

The only glimmer of hope is that they kind of did this with Lux and Steela, insofar as killing off a love interest, but there wasn't a followup.

Regardless, I think such a plot would have to be a secondary plot developed across several episodes, if not a season. Not the primary focus of an episode in a Star Wars series.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    But it's a kids' show. There should be no romance, and frankly I don't want any. It will probably be cheesy, and that stuff has never really entertained me in the slightest.

4. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Unless it's fake for infiltration purposes, no.

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The vast majority of kids shows I've watched over the years have had romance appear in one form or another. It's inevitable, really. We as humans can't not pair a man and woman together (or more commonly today gay person and gay person). It's annoying as hell, but more often than not if romance is possible, the writers will insert it into the story. Basically, what When Harry Met Sally was saying about the relationships between men and women almost always plays out to a T in fiction.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    True. People love 'shipping for whatever reason. The Harry Potter fandom is especially full of it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, don't get me started on Avatar, another "kids show". [face_talk_hand]

darth fluffy and Force Smuggler like this.
  8. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    While I'm not a starry-eyed romance fan and habitual shipper like my son* (he's 9), I'd like to see some Foe Yay on Rebels.

*He's of the type who asks 'Will they get married?' the moment all the main characters of an action movie have been introduced.

9. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    IMO, the single strongest case to be made for Rebels to not have any romance is so it can spite shippers.

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Shippers gonna ship
    ...whether the source material's on board or not. That's life and fandoms for you.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    That's why it's fun to watch their efforts come to nothing.

(In the interests of not coming across like a misanthropic purveyor of schadenfreude here, I should note that I was a one-time member of the Harry Potter fandom).

12. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Yeah, not really that big a fan of lol'ing over failed ships. Queer fans' ships almost never sail so...yeah, been there *a lot* so...not a fan.

But you know, whatever.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  13. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    I can sympathize more with that.

Contessa likes this.
  14. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Shippers dont need to actual romance lines, they can take any scene and think romance.

15. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd be fine with an LBGT couple in Rebels so long as it's handled tastefully (not done just to be shocking) and organically with the story. I don't want a pairing to feel like it's there merely to fulfil a quota of a PC agenda.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I get A LOT of enjoyment in LOLing over failed 'ships.

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    For me the amusement is not at all affected by success or failure. It's the shipping itself that's hilarious.

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I find shipping distasteful because of the obsessive culture that develops around it. One Adventure Time episode dealt with Marceline and Bubblegum's falling out as friends,a and stupid fans took that as proof that they were in a sexual relationship. Then they got mad when the show creators told them to shut up about it and stop being skeevy.

19. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    The only time shipping annoys me is when fans make something out of nothing, or start coming up with weird ships(are you reading this, Anisoka fans?). I'm not an Adventure Time fan, but I saw some art on Tumblr portraying Princess Bubblegum and Marceline as a couple, so I looked it up because I had never heard about the show promoting LGBT couples. Turns out, the fans are blowing their relationship way out of proportion.

Some people are capable of being just friends with both their own sex and with the opposite sex, depending on preference. Not every relationship has to be romantic.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Shippers have my full support. I absolutely want them to make something out of nothing, to come up with bizarre nonsense I never could have imagined. Otherwise, I'm just surrounded by a bunch of like-minded people, and the thought of that bores me.

At the very least, I'll always need someone to troll.

I think we really should have official shipping threads in this forum.

21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    For better or worse, they tend not to last long.

It's just as well anyway as we ALL know the only ship worthy of discussion here is Barrissoka, amirite?

22. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Oh, my son comes up with even weirder ones, like Leia/Chewie ("Mom, they would make such a cute couple, much cuter than Leia and Han!"). Or take his shipping of Ventress and Wolffe (who happen to be two of my favorite characters, but not like this) ^^. He doesn't care about their actual relationship being more about gouging out eyes and banging heads against steel girders - in his eyes, so much pent-up aggression must lead somewhere. Yes, for Carl, the movie universe (wouldn't restrict this to just Star Wars) is all about mutual attraction. I don't dare to ask him about the Lego Rebels box cover - I bet he fleshed out all crew relations already.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_sick]

[face_sick]

24. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Honestly I didn't even know what shipping was until I registered here. I had no idea that Rexsoka, Anisoka or Barrissoka was a thing, or anyone with a 14 year old pre-pubescent girl was a thing.

So...thanks, LACWAC. I mean it, lots of laughs. Keep up the good work.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    You never delved into the fan fiction universe.

Count your blessings or common-sense-producing brain cells or something because Oy. Vey.

It takes A LOT to creep me out and my eyes crossed enough times to produce Olympic-worthy optical muscles.

Force Smuggler likes this.