main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    You guys may recall the rumor late last year that a planet from The Old Republic game will show up in the ST. If this planet in question has any link to the Yoda arc in the upcoming TCW bonus episodes, then I'd say there's a good chance that either Moriband Korriban or Tython shows up. Those two planets are the ones I want to see most, and they appear likely to be seen in the Yoda arc. Thus, they'd be onscreen canon, and perhaps stand a better chance of appearing in the ST. I love the idea of exploring the ancient Sith homeworld, where many dark secrets stand to be uncovered, and of course, the planet where the first Jedi originated; Tython, ever strong with the Force, would make an excellent locale for the headquarters of the New Jedi Order.

Other planets I wouldn't mind seeing are Nal Hutta (appeared in a few episodes of TCW), Nar Shaddaa, and Corellia. The former two planets would be excellent settings for an exploration of the galactic underworld, where we can get scenes of smugglers, bounty hunters, and other low-lives hanging around. Corellia would be a great place for Han, Leia and their family to settle when they don't have business on Coruscant.

Visivious Drakarn and Dra--- like this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Sometimes planets are subtext. Sometimes they're simply plot related. They don't have to be both.

Ganger likes this.
  3. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I think my post above may clarify my points better.

I think it's funny that you assume that by candy world I meant Felucia, I haven't even thought about that to be honest nor was I trying to be negative. On the contrary, I want Episode VII to be close in quality with the films the vast majority of us fell in love with in the first place, the trilogy. If that's not optimism, then I don't know what is.

Also, what you say about Utapau being important for the story because the story says something doesn't really help articulate your point.

4. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    When they are both and in excess, it becomes messy like it happened in ROTS.

Dra--- likes this.
  5. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Maybe. I'm not sure all the worlds in ROTS were meant to reveal character or thematic subtext. Perhaps?

Ganger likes this.
  6. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    From what I can gather, they obviously weren't. The visuals took over the story and I, personally, didn't like that. As individual elements I thought some of them looked great (Mustafar, Kashyyyk) but it just didn't work for me storywise.

Dra--- likes this.
  7. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Right. I understand your view, and I'm pretty sympathetic to it, even if I disagree slightly. The thing about the PT is that Lucas was not interested in minimalism. He intentionally was making decadent movies. He wanted maximalism, spectacle, which is appropriate for an epic form. However, most of us fans have been taught to value things like pacing, economy, or utility, so sometimes his spectacle seems "wasteful." But really this is an example of where aesthetic sensibility comes in. Lucas wasn't necessarily doing anything wrong by making a decadent movie, but the audience also can't be expected to like all the consequences that seem to result, like perceiving a general messiness or unnecessary excess.

8. Ganger

Dec 9, 1999
    Very well put, sir. This is just one of the many thing I dislike in these movies. Call me a luddite . . .I probably are, but don't question my love for Star Wars![face_love]

In the end, I just hope Abrams treats locations and new worlds in the manner in which it was done in the trilogy, of course this is a personal preference and nothing more.

The Hellhammer and Dra--- like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Planets are more interesting when they are a bit fleshed out. Imo.

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm certain we'll have less excess in the ST and more economy. Disney probably doesn't want to disorient the audience for the sake of the director's vision. They'll probably privilege a clear and concise narrative over other elements, although I still expect enough spectacle that's appropriate for an epic.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'd love to see episode VII to open on either Tattoine or some new planet. I like the idea of Nar Shadda, some kind of dirty backwater planet in some sketchy crime-ridden environment...

The ones I would like to see throughout the movie are these:

Chandrila
    Mon Calamari
    Corellia
    Coruscant

I know we have seen much of Coruscant in the PT recently, but not in the OT. IMO it is still an important planet in the Star Wars galaxy. And I know we've seen a lot of tattooine-but I don't mind! Anyways, I think we can agree, it is somewhat the "unofficial headquarters" of Star Wars if you will. (not to mention I have always enjoyed the time spent on that planet.)

I know I have only mentioned a few, but that is because I hope that we can go back to only seeing about two or three planets in each episode, instead of the eight or nine planets like we saw in ROTS...

12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure what's "messy" about them? Do you mean the quantity of planets shown?

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Mon Cal would be cool.

Coruscant is a must. I want to see Luke on the city-planet

14. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I hope that the Jedi order and the new republic don't have their central on Coruscant. Bad mojo, bad symbolism, bad everything.

Bullhead CIty and Dra--- like this.
  15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Coruscant is the galactic center and it would make no sense to move the capital. It has about as bad symbolism as Berlin has, for example.

16. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

"I don't like sand."

Having Anakin come from Tatooine was a nice reflection of our introduction to Luke, and important to the story. Anakin hated that place just as much as Luke did, which is why it was the perfect place to hide him. People complain a lot about Anakin's dialogue with Padme in Attack of the Clones, but most of what he says is oozing with foreshadowing. "I don't like sand." And he never did go back to that dreadful planet...

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Galactic center ... there will be enough other central planets.

Talking about symbolism here. New republic should symbolize a new beginning, not a return to the ways of the old republic.

Bullhead CIty likes this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It could be interesting to see Coruscant completely war torn. Most civilian inhabitants have abandoned it and now it's just a battleground for competing armies because of it's symbolism as the capital of the galaxy.

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    If there is a civil war, yes.

Also invaders might try to get hold of Coruscant because of its past importance.

This is one way to make Coruscant an interesting addition to the ST.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This!

Also no Jedi Temple on Coruscant!

Dra--- and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    If it's unusable as a Galactic center, then it makes sense.

Other than that, no. Capitals are very rarely moved, no matter how much good or bad symbolism they may hold over the ages. The symbolism of it being the capital is more powerful than any other relation to previous regimes. That's what counts more in people's minds. That's exactly the reason why everyone always wants to capture the capital of a nation / Empire, even if it may hold no strategic value. The idea of the capital is what is powerful and controlling it is what counts in people's minds. That's why you had the race to reach Berlin, that's why everyone wanted to take on Rome, Constantinople... that is the symbolism that counts. We control the capital now, that means we're to be taken seriously.

22. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    For everyone who grew up on the OT there's an element of rose colored nostalgia infused glasses as it pertains to the OT. If we want to be completely honest, we can see that the OT films are--in their own way--every bit as flawed as the PT. I can love them without deifying them and vilifying the PT to serve an agenda in the process. If you go back and read what you originally stated about Utapau, my response clearly articulates my point. What's pointless is your diatribe on the use of planets in the PT and your perception any of them were thrown in on a lark. Alluding to the OT's use of planets as perfect and the PT's egregious use of colorful planets as fecal matter is completely ignoring the fact that technology improved by leaps and bounds between the late 70's/early 80's and the late 90's/early 00's (which allowed GL the improved ability to showcase his galaxy). In all of these films most of the planets themselves are not important, but the events that take place on them are. Could the seminal events of the PT have happened elsewhere, sure, but events conspired to make them happen where they did.

my kind of scum and Darth PJ like this.
  23. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Korriban
    Tython
    Jedi temple on Dagobah
    Coruscant

Dra--- likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    It makes more sense for the new republic to chose a planet that supported them rather than "imperial center" which still might be filled with imperial insurgents.

And again I think the symbolism about a new beginning is here more important than any real world comparisons. If the audience goes into the cinema and the NR's headquarter is set on Coruscant than they will think of it as a return to the corrupted roots of the old republic. I certainly would. If the Jedi temple is also situated there it sends an even stronger message of "nothing has changed". Same old, same old.

25. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    It seems logical that the capital of the galaxy, under the New Republic, would be Coruscant. Afterall this was the capital long "before the dark times". I think it would be also quite interesting to see Luke, Han and Leia on Coruscant... as it will work to visually reference the PT as well as the OT (which is something I'd like to see the ST needs to do).