main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Your question about continuity is an interesting one, but I'm not sure how to respond to it. But now that we know that SW movies will keep being made, I think certain kinds of closures will be different. That is, maybe a villain is defeated conclusively, but the idea that a particular group like the Sith will never return is less likely to be used. Lucas only came up with that idea because he thought the films were done. But now that they're not, LFL and Disney will want as much leeway as possible moving forward, so I expect the ST mainly to be about explaining how the Sith can return. And perhaps this aspect might connect to the new continuity -- in TCW we may see something new about the Sith that alludes to their possible return in the ST.

2. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    So, in case you haven't read the article that goes along with the Kanan Rebels video, the text describes the Inquisitor as "a Sith villain."

So if we can trust this description, and I'm not sure if we can, but if we can, then it could be telling us that the Sith Order is expanded during the Dark Times. Either the Rule of Two has been dropped, or new categories of Sith have been created, and may be canon.

How does this relate to the ST? It gives a clear explanation for how the Sith might return. If there was more to the Sith than just Vader and Sidious in ROTJ, then some of these ... lesser Sith might have either survived or tried to have trained new Sith.

This could also mean the Prophecy only relates to Sidious and Vader, but not these lesser Sith who, by the time of the ST, could be more powerful.

3. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I think the Inquisitor is more like Ventress or Maul in that he's a Dark Acolyte (this is the official term) rather than a true Sith Lord. To become a true Sith Lord you need to be fully trained by the master and given the title of Darth. In the Plagueis novel, Sidious actually went behind Plagueis' back and gave Maul the title towards the end in hopes that Plagueis would be bumped off by the time he could fully train him. Maul only had a rudimentary Sith training which was basically lightsaber and assassination skills, but nothing really advanced like Force lightning or Sith Sorcery.

If we get a Sith villain in the ST, I hope it's the real McCoy with the Darth title and everything, and not a left over Dark Acolyte. I think the audience needs a villain that's at least on par with Sidious.

4. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    The Sith should be extinct after the death of Vader and Sidious. Nothing from the Yuuzhan Vong War on should remain canon. Only Dark Jedi now remain in the galaxy to threaten the Jedi. Them or the Mandalorians.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Ahsoka refers to Ventress as "Sith" in TCW.

I could see the Emperor not caring too much about what his Dark Side minions call themselves- what matters to him is how much training they receive - and he only reveals the deeper secrets of Sith lore to Vader.

In the ANH novel it says when introducing Vader "Fear followed in the footsteps of all the Dark Lords"

Perhaps the Emperor even lets his goons call themselves Dark Lords of the Sith if they want to - but with only him and Vader being the inner circle with the "Darth" prefix.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    You can't make the Sith extinct. It's a way of life. You can eliminate "all current Sith", but making the Sith extinct is about as simple as making the color red extinct.

Sorry.

7. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    One fear that I have always had with an expansion of Star Wars is the blurring the lines of the story. The Rule of Two has been at very least diluted since TCW, and it looks like Rebels is going to dilute the idea that only Yoda and Obi-Wan survived the purge.

Don't get me wrong here, I totally understand that Order 66 didn't wipe out all of the Jedi in a nice neat montage at the end of Ep III, and I'm sure that going into Rebels we can assume that Kanan dies before the events of Ep IV. However, if you remove TCW and consider the films only (which is what the general pubic is aware of), we the audience are being told that:

1. There are only two Sith at a time.
    2. Only Obi-Wan and Yoda survive the purge (no matter how long it took)
    3. Anything that happened in between had little to do with the story being told aside from "this is the time that the Empire tightened is grip and oppressed the galaxy and Obi-Wan watched over Luke's upbringing."

To me, the idea of showing us The Clone Wars was a great way to show us the heroic side of Anakin as well as his relationship with Obi-Wan. I think the show did accomplish this, however I think they went a little too far with some elements, including the Sith. Again, my opinion, I think they should have very well established Ventress as not being a Sith by simply having folks like Dooku say things like "Your red saber implies something you are not." I did like that once Sidious was aware of Maul, he went out and told him (and us) that he was basically fired from the Sith and no longer part of the team.

I fear that Kanan, or maybe Rebels as a whole, is going to muddy the idea of not only surviving Jedi, but also the beginnings of the Rebel Alliance. My understanding is that this is what Rebels is about, no? If so, I would say that it has to include Bail Organa, who has not been mentioned in anything about Rebels.......

People have always been excited about seeing the things that went on during The Clone Wars and between Ep III and IV, but I have always seen those areas as time periods where we know what happened by the situations in the films, and the particular events were not part of the story being told. In other words, you don't need to see every single thing that happens in order to tell the story in a compelling way.

Today, these areas are apparently being used to set up a new continuity, which will presumably include Ep VII. The problem that I have with that is that they are going back, and like I said, clouding the waters about things that have been long standing elements of Star Wars.

It's not impossible to do successfully, but I am fearful.

I hope they get it right.

8. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    One of the reasons (among six or seven of them) I don't like TCW series is that it did not expand the story, it changed it. And by that I mean the reason nr. 1.
    I did not get the idea from the OT that only Obi-Wan and Yoda survived the purge. The closest thing to that are Yoda's words in ROTJ when he says that when he dies, Luke will be the only remaining Jedi. There is no problem in number of the survivors of the purge, just by the time of the OT (or ROTJ), Yoda and Luke (and Kenobi) should be the only one.

Agreed.

Again, agreed. Setting up the ST continuity by the events, locations or characters from animated series (or books; hint: Plagueis) would be a very bad move. But I can't see that happening.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  9. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Good post, LunarMoth. I think the idea that there are surviving Jedi in Rebels is actually set up by Yoda in ROTS when he has Obi-Wan change the signal in the temple to tell Jedi to flee Coruscant, not return to it. The movie is telling the audience there will be more survivors than Yoda and Obi.

As for the Sith, I'm glad they are muddying the waters because, quite honestly, the idea that there are only two Sith is too limiting. I think Sidious and Plagueis always planned to dump the rule once they took power because, as Plagueis says in his book, the real goal is the expansion of Sith ideology. That means the creation of a much larger Order of Sith, albeit probably with a Master and Apprentice at the top of the food chain. Think of it like the Democrats or Republicans controlling all three branches of the US Government. President, VP, and then a whole range of other positions from Secretary of State to the Senate and then the House of Reps. They would all be part of the Dem or Rep party (the Sith Order), but with a hierarchical chain of command and power.

So if you cut the top two heads off, you still have a Sith Order. Like the Republican Party survives although the presidential candidate loses. Maybe these lesser Sith, or Dark Acolytes, don't have the same amount of training as the Master and Apprentice, but let's face it -- they are still apprentices, sort of like padawans, if they are being taught to use the darkside in any way.

Now how far of a step is it between being a Dark Acolyte and being a Sith Master or Apprentice? Is it an impossible step? Can the knowledge be gained without the presence of a Master or Apprentice?

Yes. Why? The Sith Order didn't always exist. At some point you had a Jedi or Force user who began experimenting with the darkside. At first they couldn't do things like use lightening, but after enough experimentation and practice, they figure it out. It might take time, but the ST is 30 years after ROTJ. Plenty of time for a new Master to be coming into their full power.

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    FWIW the existence of Sith holocrons can ensure that the teachings of the Sith Order survive the deaths of its practitioners. In the EU, the Telos Holocron contained a repository of Sith knowledge passed over many generations of Sith Lords, with the last gatekeeper being none other than Darth Sidious. I could easily see Palpatine keeping his vast knowledge of the Sith and the dark side in a holocron like the Telos Holocron, With a visual simulacrum of the guardians contained within, the ST could possibly introduce Palpatine as nothing more than a holocron gatekeeper, passing on his knowledge to one deemed worthy of being his successor. Holocrons such as these can ensure the continued survival of the Sith Order. As such, I'd love for a Sith holocron to appear in the ST, perhaps in the hands of the villain or their apprentice/some lesser dark side Force user.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yep, and Holocrons are now canon, thanks to TCW.

12. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    What if Garm Bel Iblis was right and Mon Mothma becomes a new Emperor?

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The Inquisitor seems pretty Sithy to me (article):

So this not-Sith has the skill to wield a double lightsaber and invade people telepathically. But if we don't call him a Sith, then the Rule of Two somehow still applies (by the use of magic).

I'm pretty sure Sidious ends the Rule of Two post ROTS.

14. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I've been wondering if a different inquisitor could appear in the ST.

15. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    Aren't we kind of arguing semantics here? It seems to me that the difference between "Dark Jedi" and "Sith Lord" is one of title. Also, as I recall, the term "Dark Jedi" is an EU creation from before the prequels came about and we knew what "Sith" even were. I don't know if Lucas ever used that term to describe a character. I guess what I'm getting to is if it cackles like a Sith and uses a red lightsaber like a Sith, you might as well call it what it is instead of using a "softer" term as a technicality to get around a larger issue (like the Sith supposedly being extinct).

Darth PJ, T-R- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I recall seeing holocron props for the PT in the Star Wars Visual Dictionary books.

17. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Good thing Plagueis is mentioned in the movies then

18. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    Gundark is also mentioned.
    In a dilemma between Plagueis and gundark as the ST villains, I'd choose gundark. Mainly because there was no fulfilled prophecy by which they were destroyed. As opposed to the Sith.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    a prophecy that might have been misread

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Basically, this.

People are putting way too much stock in this whole prophecy thing in a franchise that has a tendency of making things up as it goes along and wonderfully fitting them all together in the end. Killing off two Sith does not and cannot possibly mean that you've killed off the entire order for ever and ever. If someone, somewhere, somehow stumbles upon any Sith records and starts living his life according to the doctrins held therein - he'd be just as Sithy as all those Darths we all know and love.

21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not to mention that the Jedi had a prophecy that supposedly dealt with the destruction of the Sith. The same Sith that they thought were extinct for 1,000 years. [face_hypnotized]

Kind of odd to have a prophecy desroying something you thought was already destroyed.[face_thinking]

Then there is the whole "I do not think that the Sith could've RETURNED without us knowing" dialogue

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    What's wrong with Plagueis?

StoneRiver, Immortiss and T-R- like this.
  23. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I have little opinion on the matter, but would like to throw this in.

"The first use of the word "Sith" was in the novelization of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, as a title for Darth Vader, the "Dark Lord of the Sith."

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So from watching TCW bonus content trailer it appears that Qui-Gon Jinn can somehow still manipulate things in the physical realm with the Force even though he is dead. He causes some candles to go out and even levitates Yoda. So this got me thinking that if Qui-Gon can do this then perhaps Darth Plagueis really can still manipulate midi-chlorians from the Netherworld of the Force to create a new body or revive his original one. It's just something that I immediately thought of when I saw that clip and I really think this whole concept of Qui-Gon and the Netherworld and perhaps Plagueis is getting more and more interesting as we learn more about it.

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup:

Two meters tall. Bipedal. Flowing black robes trailing from the figure and a face forever masked by a functional if bizarre black metal breath screen — a Dark Lord of the Sith was an awesome, threatening shape as it strode through the corridors of the rebel ship.

Fear followed the footsteps of all the Dark Lords. The cloud of evil which clung tight about this particular one was intense enough to cause hardened Imperial troops to back away, menacing enough to set them muttering nervously among themselves. Once-resolute rebel crew members ceased resisting, broke and ran in panic at the sight of the black armour — armour which, though black as it was, was not nearly as dark as the thoughts drifting through the mind within.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.