main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    This one, obviously.

[​IMG]

TrakNar likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Know what those 1995 covers prove, comics do indeed have something in common with the internet, namely, like the internet:

[​IMG]

4. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Just finished Ms. Marvel--liked it even more than I was expecting. Very Scott Pilgrim.

5. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    CooperTFN - I'm with you on the whole Seinfeld thing...right up until he tries to justify himself. He doesn't say y'know, a lot of my comedian friends happen to be white dudes. Which yeah it happens, and I sort of agree that the draw of the series is just Seinfeld ******* around with his comedian friends, so there's got to be that connection. He doesn't go with that though. He says the people on his show are there because they're funny, and he doesn't want unfunny people on his show. He tries to kinda sidestep the whole thing with the basic "whoa hey, I don't even see race" thing people always say, and when he plays it like I picked these people because they're the funny ones and all the people just so happen to be white dudes, it feels like a certain kind of message like Mia said. If it's *only* about being funny, you're missing some serious talent. If it's *only* about being funny, than why isn't he getting some of these other comedian acquaintances the writer of the article makes a big thing out of? It's way more sketchy for him to play it how he did than to just come out and say more of my white male comedian friends were interested in showing up than anybody else. I can understand *your* reasoning just fine, but the way he put it was just the same ****** line minorities in the business always get fed.

6. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Isn't Seinfeld's show pretty new with only so many episodes? I think his point is that he isn't scheduling people on his show so he has certain ethnicities on in a particular order. That's what I got from it. He's not going to deliberately have Chris Rock on his second episode because he's purposely being cognizant of appearances.

I dunno if that's a problematic way of looking at it, I admit ignorance.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
  8. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Contessa likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  10. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    Get 'em Sam.

I almost got a laugh out of getting the Jerry Seinfeld "anti-diversity" video as a suggestion right after the SLJ clip was over. And y'know, looking at the video and really seeing what he had to say and *how* he said it (if you use being "PC" as an example of how bad America's gotten, I probably consider you a douchebag) I really stand by what I said in my last post. The comments were also crawling with racist Repub/conservative trash who're cheering him on, so **** all that noise from Seinfeld about how "it doesn't even matter".

Vthuil and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    YouTube comments are the refuge of the absolute worst dregs of the internet, but yeah, I think that's an important point. Devoid of context, Seinfeld might have a point that he shouldn't tailor his friends to fit the needs of social justice (although it is... let's say odd that apparently all of his friends are white dudes). But in the actual context of the entertainment industry and society, he's not just reinforcing an unfortunate trend, he's literally encouraging racists. The best to be hoped for is that he doesn't realize that he's doing it.

MercenaryAce and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Supposedly he was referring to the Captain America TV spot. I mean look at what he says- "Working for Marvel- the Superbowl commercial..." Notice Jackson is the one who brings up Lawrence Fishbourne and turns it into an issue about race.

Supposedly. IDK. If he really did mix the two up, then yeah, Sam's reaction is probably warranted. Either way, the guy's reaction afterward was a mess, especially when he tried to force the subject to RoboCop. "Oh HEEELL no!" indeed. [face_laugh]

13. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Well, when Sam called the guy out on his BS he didn't clarify that he meant the Captain America trailer...so clearly he was thinking of The Matrix. What kind of pissed me off is that the guy never really apologized.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IDK, if Sam Jackson accused me of being racist I don't think I'd have the guts to prove him wrong. :p

But yeah, he totally screwed the pooch and stopped thinking logically. Poor guy is probably gonna be stuck covering puppy talent shows for the rest of his career. :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Also, SLJ is in that Winter Soldier trailer--the full version, mind you, not necessarily what aired--for just about five seconds. Like **** was he referring to that.

Edit: POC alert. Sort of.

16. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    https://twitter.com/eleventhirtyate/status/433384693690802176

Gorefiend and Mia Mesharad like this.
  17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So why was his appearance a spoiler anyway? I had started hoping for a literal shadow-person.

18. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    What the **** Pablo? He'll check the first reference for coffee in Star Wars to the *page*, but can't even be bothered with this? Would it have hurt to give a real answer instead of the usual "we're not even thinking about race" bull****? The way he deals with questions is ridiculous. Whatever. Between how he looks and being voiced by Freddy "James Vega" Prince Jr, I'm putting him down as latino.

Mia Mesharad and Vthuil like this.
  19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Since I'm not at home in US culture but only see glimpses from time to time, is the "we're not thinking about race" approach some kind of official, legally secured way of talking about this, and people use lines like that because no matter what kind of social commentary or hidden racism can be read into it, at least you'll never face a lawsuit? Like, if he'd acknowledge that they do think about skin colour when creating characters, that'd be racist to begin with, and someone might actually sue them for not including another ethnicity or something? Because that would sound like the dead end that the cliché of compliance has become.

20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    IMO, as much as I hate to use the term, it's political correctness. Kanan is clearly designed to not be a regular ol' white person, but LFL's official-unoffocial policy on race seems to be show, don't tell--they would never come out and say "yeah, we made him a Latino because we wanted to be more diverse", because that would make it into a bigger story than just putting him out there and letting people draw their own conclusions. It's a smidge frustrating, but if I have to choose between them showing a commitment to diversity in press releases and showing it in the content itself, I'll take the latter.

Meanwhile, a new update in the Lego gender controversy.

21. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I think it is pretty well established that Pablo is trolling.

But if it was my job to deal with SW fans every day I would be.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Good point, has anyone contacted the Friend Police cyber-tip line about this?

ThatsNoPloKoon likes this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I did.

24. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It's only a matter of time now, Seinfeld.

25. Contessa

Nov 28, 2013
    Isn't letting people draw their own conclusions how every ambiguous character ends up white though? Not a great track record on these things.