main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel nostalgia. Yes, it's a real thing.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Feb 12, 2014.

1. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I recently watched Episode I on Blu-ray last night and realized something (other than the menu on that disk is incredibly captivating). I remember seeing threads on here with people talking about nostalgia for the OT and how it affects their views of the prequels. But nostalgia is a very real thing for prequel lovers like myself as well.

I have to admit that I didn't become a Star Wars fan until around the time the OT Special Editions were being released. I saw the commercials for them on TV and wondered what all the hoopla was about, so I dug out my dad's old Beta copies, (Yes we had a working Betamax player in 1997) popped in A New Hope and BAM, I was hooked from then on. In fact, I remember being wary about watching Empire and Jedi, because I was afraid it was going to undermine the awesomeness of the original (I knew very little about the saga at this point), but I was very not disappointed.

At this point, I started collecting the POTF merchandise that was being released, demanded to see the Special Editions (the changes didn't bother me because my love for the films was maybe a month old) and became a SW junkie who wanted more.

Two years later, Episode I was released. Now in the two years that I've been a Star Wars fan, I was gobbling up every piece of everything related to the new movie. I remember getting tickets a month before it's release for me, my dad, my cousin and sisters. We were in a packed theater opening weekend, I sat through the movie (even insisting to stay til the end credits because I heard about the Darth Vader breathing sound) and when I left the theater I felt exhilarated. It wasn't at all what I expected, but that was not a bad thing. In fact, I remember leaving noticing that I didn't really remember what the story was about because I was hypnotized by the awesome visuals, stunts and action sequences. So I had to see it a few more times to get it all. But I remember riding my bike (this was before I was a licensed driver) a reasonably long distance every chance I could to see TPM before it left theaters and usually stopping to pick up a piece of merchandise on the way back home if I could afford it. Even saw it during it's holiday charity re-release with a surprising amount of other people who wanted to see it again too. All this came back to mind when I watched this movie again and it was cool to think about again.

I went through the pre-TPM motions again as I eagerly anticipated the release of Episode II, again gobbling up every piece of info I could find from the official site and SW Insider and I was pumped for the new movie. I had to travel a little out of town to see it opening day (thankfully I had a car at this point) and caught the afternoon showing before people packed the theater that night. I did enjoy the movie, but felt a little deflated by it. This time it really wasn't what I expected it to be. But at this point, the saving grace of the film was the Expanded Universe content that surrounded it such as Galactic Battlegrounds, Jedi Starfighter and the Dark Horse comic series which I think gave the film a lot more credibility. I saw the film a few more times after that, because the parts I did like blew away the parts I didn't. Again I was collecting the merch, reveling in the awesomeness that was the continuing Clone Wars saga and eagerly awaited Episode III.

A couple months before Episode III was released, I was excited that I was finally able to afford a trip to Celebration III (I was too poor to make the first 2). Unfortunately when I arrived in Indianapolis, I started feeling sick and missed a lot of it. Even though more and more things about Episode III were being put out as opening day approached, I was hospitalized and needed major life saving surgery in late April. I pulled through the surgery and after two weeks in a coma, pulled through that too. It sounds strange to some, but one thing that really made me want to regain my strength and health (two weeks in a coma really weakens you) was that I wanted to make opening night of ROTS. I remember watching all sorts of TV spots and commercials for the new movie and the whole "circle is complete" angle that they were going for really pumped me up. My dad even bought me a copy of the novel. It was so hard for me not to pick it up because I didn't want to spoil the movie. I didn't make it to opening night unfortunately but I was out a few days after that. After a few more days of recovering at home, my dad and I finally went to see Revenge of the Sith. And it blew me away! You can follow the rest of the story from here, bought more merchandise, saw the movie a few more times. But I'm willing to bet that I also got the same feeling that a lot of that older generation felt when Return of the Jedi came out. The sad feeling that it's over and the anticipation of awaiting a new movie was gone.

I will say now that I do prefer the OT. I think they're simply better films. I never lost touch with what made them so special. Nevertheless, when I watch the SW prequels, I get a major whiff of nostalgia (the haters will probably take advantage of my use of "whiff" there). Each movie came out at a different time of my life and when I watch each one, it takes me back to that period of my life where I used Star Wars as my fantastical escape to another universe when reality got a little too real.

2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I remember the OT nostalgia discussion well and at the time actually raised the fact that there's really no more likelihood that someone would be nostalgic for one trilogy than the other. The level of nostalgia isn't proportional to the number of years which have gone past since something happened. It's about the stage of life that you were at and the positive associations that were made. TPM is fifteen years old and even ROTS is not far short of the decade. There will be a lot of people out there who saw these films as awe struck children, just as older fans did with the OT, and now view them as adults, with a touch of nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that, but let's not pretend it's only a factor for one trilogy.

3. squir1y

Feb 1, 2003
    Oh I agree.

4. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Nice first post. Really brings you back to the enchanting period of the PT pre-production, production and release.

Like MOC Yak Face well put it above, film nostalgia always basically stems from the same reasons and patterns, no matter the OT or the PT. Or whatever movie or movie series by the way.

As an OT Era fan going 43, I have to make a little correction here. Situation was quite different back then when ROTJ came out (1983). Most of the Star Wars aficionados well knew that the Saga was contemplated as a 9 part one, and that someday the first trilogy/PT would follow, sooner or later (the last one had always been more evanescent and elusive, at least more tangential). Despite Lucas being fade up with Star Wars at that time, and several ambiguous and unconclusive interviews in the media throughout the late 80's on whether or not he was going to make the other trilogies.

I had strong fascination and anticipation about the backstory/PT as soon as 1983 actually, and was already anxious and impatient to see it onscreen !

Although, of course, nothing was sure a 100 percent.

5. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I'm about the same vintage as you, Ord-Mantell70 and I can recall the feeling back then that prequels or sequels would follow at some stage.

Ord-Mantell70 and darthjj88 like this.
  6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I must be the one STAR WARS fan who not only saw the OT when they first hit the theaters back in 1977-83, but does not consider them superior to the PT.

7. squir1y

Feb 1, 2003

Well that makes you unique.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Thank you.

9. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    The only one? Gosh...

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No matter how old or young you are, you can be nostalgic for anything set in the past that you've experienced. Being nostalgic for a film released 15 years ago like The Phantom Menace is not out of the ordinary.

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I grew up with the OT and still love those movies, but I rewatch to PT more often than the originals because they are closest to what George was aiming for all along. I rarely post in Saga & CT because I don't want to taint the way I feel about the OT... to this day, I loathe referring to Star Wars by its "other" name.... nostalgia is a powerful thing indeed.

12. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I can only speak for myself of course, but I think it's possible to go kind of post-nostalgic at a certain point. When I was in my twenties I'd say I was more rigidly in favour of things which I'd grown up with or gotten into as a teenager. I found it hard to accept criticism of those things and generally believed them to be superior to things which came later. Now I'm past 40, and even though there's still an element of nostalgia there, I think I'm more objective now when assessing the quality of things, even things long dear to my heart. I can accept the faults and even laugh at them now, without it detracting from my overall fondness.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I can say that I have nostalgia for both the PT and OT, as I grew up with all of them. The only one I was old enough to see in theaters was ROTS, but I'd watched the other episodes on VHS/DVD sooooo many times before it was ridiculous. And then I saw ROTS in theaters 6 times, and I must have watched the DVD at least twice a day when I got it for like a month after xD

Oddly enough then, there was a period of 6-7 years where I just stopped caring about SW. I mean, sure, it was still part of my life. Still had my old action figures and stuff, played the games occasionally, etc. But I didn't watch the actual saga for a long, long time. Not sure why. But then very recently, like... Xmas of 2012 I think? I just decided to listen to some SW music I hadn't heard in years. It just brought back so many memories it took me to the point of tears (the track I listened to was the extended version of "A New Hope and End Credits")
    After this, I learned that the blu-rays from 2011 had even more changes than before, and this sparked my interest. So for my birthday the next month, I got I-VI on blu-ray. Watched it once with my mom, then again with my dad, then on my own on May 4th (obvious reason). Aaaand... I lost them :(

I need to rebuy them now lol

Now what I wonder is if we'll ever be able to claim nostalgia for the ST....

14. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I love the Prequels because I saw AOTC and ROTS with my Dad when he and I still got along very well. So it takes me back to happier days.

15. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Indeed. The aesthetic of Star Wars is even strongly rooted in nostalgic tendencies.

Ord-Mantell70 likes this.
  16. squir1y

Feb 1, 2003

Probably. But we'll all be old then. Haha

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Ah, PT nostalgia. It exists besides me, then...that's good. I'll never forget watching AOTC especially for the first time. TPM, can't remember. ROTS, extremely vague. AOTC? It's like it was yesterday. I remember sitting on the floor in the living room, action figures in hand, staring up in the screen in awestruck wonder at the Geonosis scenes. Back then, the romance, the bad dialogue, the cheesy CGI...none of it bothered me. I was an 8-year-old being teleported into a new world. I remember the excitement when Anakin said "Aim right above the fuel cells!" because before watching AOTC I had played the Clone Wars X-Box game, where those ships' weaknesses were right above the fuel cells, so it was a neat little bit of continuity for me, before I even knew what the word continuity meant. So yeah, PT nostalgia definitely exists and I have it bad at times. There'll be days where I'll be just struck with it and kind of sigh happily at the fond memories of my childhood.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    ROTS is the one I remember the best. I definitely remember that one fondly from when it came out in theaters. Saw it twice. First movie to do so actually.
    Labyrinth of Evil, the micro-series, the teaser trailer, the novel made those several months some of the best ever.

squir1y likes this.
  20. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    Nostalgia just has to taken you to a different (perhaps rose tinted) time or stage of your life. There's no hard limit in terms of years or months on that, it's very subjective. Despite thinking that they aren't great films I'm very nostalgic when it comes to the prequels - I was precisely the right age for all of them I think.

Taken to the Phantom Menace midnight premiere in Western Australia by my uncle as a nine year old, and then again the following week by my dad.

Went to see Attack of the Clones as a twelve year old and was wowed by Jango and dual sabers.

Given the day off school by my parents to go and see Revenge of the Sith on the opening morning with some other Star Wars mad friends as a fifteen year old.

21. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I just can't believe it's almost 15 years since The Phantom Menace opened.
    standing in line for that movie was one of the most memorable things. I could hardly believe as I was watching it that I was really seeing a new Star Wars movie.

22. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    The PT was a huge part of my childhood and I have a lot of great memories of it. I could play TPM and AOTC VHS tapes all day, and AOTC was the first movie (if I recall correctly) I ever watched in DVD (back in the days when DVDs were the "new thing"). I was also really hyped for ROTS and I went to see it 4 times while I was in 4h grade, good times indeed, I can't believe it's almost 10 years ago.

23. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    I'm sure every single Star Wars fan who saw The Phantom Menace as a child will have a serious case of prequel nostalgia 30 years down the road. :p

24. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    I definitely have a nostalgia for the PT because I grew up with the PT (though I grew up on all six films really).

I remember seeing TPM back in 1999 and I absolutely loved it and was hugely obsessed with the film when I was little. I had toys and action figures of nearly every character in the movie. I also had the posters, the toy lightsabers, the Pod Racer PC game, a lego set of Anakin's pod racer, the fast food toys, sticker books, and I remember my parents collecting all the Soda Cans. And I remember watching the VHS so much as a kid. We also had the cassette tape for Episode I which my parents used to play in the car all the time when we in the car or going on trips. Damn, those were good times...

When Attack of the Clones came out in 2002, I was 7 and loved it as well. I bought some action figures for the movie and remember playing the Attack of the Clones game on Gameboy Advance. I didn't mind the romance in the film at all as a kid.

When Revenge of the Sith came out, I remember how excited and hyped I was for it. My friends and family were really excited for it too. It was so exciting to finally see everything wrap and see how the Whole Saga would conclude.

So, yeah I have a lot of nostalgia for the PT. They remind me off simpler times of my childhood and made me the huge Star Wars fan I am today.

25. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I remember going to see AOTC with my parents and brother when it first came out in theaters. I can remember sitting on the back row of the theater, sitting on the edge of my seat. The most memorable event happened when Dooku challenged Yoda to a lightsaber duel. I remember the audience cheering as soon as Yoda ignited his lightsaber from his belt. :p

So, yes. I have prequel nostalgia.