main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mini Series The Inquisitors (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by nld3, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    TaradosGon

I see what you mean there.

Lucas made Star Wars content for the love of it. It was his baby and he loved telling the story of it.

Disney on the other hand makes shows to put money in their shareholders' pockets, first and foremost. All other considerations are secondary to that. IMHO this makes it fundamentally more difficult for Disney to make good Star Wars than for GL. For Disney it's "What can we get out of this?" Shows are then made in such a way as to maximize revenue. They aren't mentally or emotionally invested in the thing in any way. It's a fungible asset. And it stands excellent chances of suffering for it.

2. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

True, but you could also look at it this way:

Disney wants people to buy it, so they're going to make something people want to see = Many fans get what they want = Yay!!!
    GL didn't care if people liked it, it was his way or the highway, if he liked it he made it, regardless of how terrible some of his ideas were = fans get some good stuff but a bunch of crap we don't want (Jar Jar, Droid arc) = Boo!!!

Darth_Pevra and TaradosGon like this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I remember reading speculation that the Jedi Temple becomes the Inquisitor Temple. I loved that idea.

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    That sounds cool, but I think that Palpatine would want the Jedi Temple left empty as a very large monolith to his power. "Don't mess with me or you become like the people who used to live there." *Points at large, burnt ruins of the Jedi Temple*

5. Calintz_Neos

Calintz_Neos Jedi Knight

Jan 27, 2014
    So, Kanan/Inquisitor Rivalry?

purplerain and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Seems that way. Or at least, Kanan might be the Inquisitor's target.

purplerain likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I also got an archenemy vibe from the video.

purplerain and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The Inquisitor makes much more sense now that we know about his archnemesis.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't see how he couldn't be an archenemy. I mean, I would imagine Order 66 wiped out most of the Jedi, the Inquisitors are only dealing with the stragglers, and 14 years after Order 66 I would imagine that any surviving Jedi would be living very inconspicuous lives. So, I don't think it's like Jedi are popping up every single day and the Inquisitor has some bone to pick with Kanan in particular. But rather, Kanan is one of a very small number (if not the only one) known to be active at this point in time, the Inquisitor is sent after him, and knowing the Emperor and Vader's intolerance of failure, has every reason to obsessively hunt Kanan down until his mission is complete.

10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I want to know what The Inquisitor's backstory is.

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Gut reaction, but I think they are - at least at first - make him more like Maul and keep him mostly mysterious.

I would say Vader was also kept mostly mysterious in ANH, though we did learn that he was once a Jedi in addition to the misinformation that he killed Anakin.

So, unless the Inquisitor killed Kanan's master or something like that, making it personal for Kanan. I don't know that we'll learn too much about his backstory.

Jedi Knight Fett and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Looking back on previous Weisman work again, I'm sure we'll get some backstory on the Inquisitor, but it won't be until around midseason. Heroes first, then the villain. I do want a name for him though, sooner than later.

Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That we will probably learn on rebels.

Don't know why I always disagree with TaradosGon. It's not on purpose.

TaradosGon likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I.N. Quisitor?

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I actually think we will get his backstory eventually. Filoni and Lucas didn't seem like they could resist in TCW - with Maul and Asajj both having their backstory explored as they tie back to Dathomir. And Grievous' past was briefly alluded to.

I just don't think it's something that will be explored any time soon. I think they'll keep the Inquisitor mysterious for a season or two before going back to learn anything about his past.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Has anyone mentioned how terribly stupid his lightsaber is?

It's one of the dumbest lightsaber designs I've seen, right up there with the forked lightsaber and the guard shoto.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I have to agree. It looks like someone saw this:

[​IMG]

... and tried to copy it but as an actual handle rather than some dumb spinny thing on a toy. It seems like it would inhibit the user to no real benefit.

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I thought he was depicted with a different, more standard hilt in a more recent image

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He could be a majorette in a high school band with that handle. Seems like it would be hard to kill someone on purpose with it, and very easy to kill someone accidentally.

Dear Disney: no more over-the-top lightsaber designs, please.

Not sure I want to try to wrap my brain around a forked lightsaber.

21. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    If so I missed it and I'd really like to see it. That would be a relief.

22. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    There was a picture of him dueling Kanan where he had a regular hilt. But in http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140213212451/starwars/images/f/fe/Jarrus_vs_Inquisitor.png]this[/url] picture it's still circular. It is based on a Hasbro roleplay lightsaber for General Grievous, where one blade was green and one was blue. Which looked even stupider than the Inquisitor's, which at least has the same blade colors...but I'm also ashamed to say I own the thing. :p

Contessa likes this.
  23. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Same here. After Jerec, Malorum, Tremayne, and the like, I prefer my Inquisitors named. But they're just being incredibly slow with all the Rebels details, so I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get his name until the show proper airs.

The new Inquisitor's lightsaber appears to be based off of a lightsaber toy design that came out a little while back, where the wielder could connect two saber blades to a center hilt with a circular guard just like the Inquisitors, and then spin the outer blades on the circle guard around the inner hilt. You can see the general idea in this YouTube demonstration.

[​IMG]

It looks as though the new Inquisitor will either have interlocking dual blades like Ventress, or the handguard folds/slides into the full circular form shown in other images. I'm personally leaning more toward the second as the more likely choice, as if they go all the way with the toy homage, it would make the double-bladed spinning ability a unique surprise.

It's not actually forked, per se, but features a secondary, smaller blade that protrudes from the side of the hilt at a 45-degree angle.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

There's a certain logic to the design in theory: a number of sword and dagger-like weapons, such as the Japanese jitte, have made use of this general design for ages. It allows a defender to catch the attacker's blade in between the main and support shafts, and with a twist, you could disarm them or even break the enemy's blade. But that's for metal weapons. While you could theoretically do the same with a lightsaber like this, there's also a significant chance you're just going to funnel the enemy's blade right to your own hilt, and unless you're using saber-resistant materials like beskar or phrik...well, there goes your lightsaber.

Yeah, not the most ridiculous design ever, and it could offer certain advantages to the particularly skilled, but...let's just say I'm glad they're a rarity. I'm glad we've got canon variety, but I'm also happy that most saber-wielders apparently realize the weapon's flaw and go without.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Might make more sense if the lightsaber hilt is made out of lightsaber resistant material like Vader's shoulder armor.

25. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I figure they are going for a cutlass/rapier style hand guard for the Inquisitor's blade, which makes sense on a sword, but doesn't make sense if made out of a material that can be easily cut through like Maul's lightsaber was in TPM.

The only other thing that I could possibly guess was going through the designer's head was that the Inquisitor you use the semi-circular guard like brass knuckles to bash an opponent with in close quarters. But IMO the guard looks waaaaaay better if only present on one side of the hilt, not both.

Contessa likes this.