main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit GENERAL QUESTION THREAD (What to read? Where to start? What's canon? What's not? Duros, etc.)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am wondering what SW story do people consider the most fantasy heavy? And what story have most or best science-fiction concepts?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If sacrifice deals with what I think it does, I know I'm in the way minority according to most I've seen here but I'm glad that arc is over.

Right, thanks. I kinda figured it was only Revalation in LotF for Pelly. Thanks, guys. [:D]

3. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Halfway through The Final Prophecy, and enjoying it a lot.
    I can't believe I'm almost finishing the NJO, it's been a great experience to read a series this big (with a few seatbacks, of course). It really made the EU only characters to grow on me, something that I suspected that would not happen, now I'm enjoying reading Jag, Jaina, Jacen, Corran, Kyp, Tahiri, Droma and a whole lot more characters as much as I enjoy reading Han, Luke, Lando and Leia. Even the Yuuzhan Vong have their share of great characters (Tsavong Lah, Nom Anor, Nem Yim, Harrar, Shimrra, Onimi, Vua Rapuung etc).
    Now, if you guys excuse me, I''ll go read some more. ;)

KarrdeFan, vadimk, Gorefiend and 3 others like this.
  4. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I grabbed a bunch of SW books out of storage after Darth Pagueis worked so well for me, and because of curiosity about the character of Dooku, Dark Rendezvous seemed like a likely candidate, so that one was brought out as well (plus, I hear consistently great things about it, while casual lurking around here I've got the impression that it's a favorite).

pronker likes this.
  5. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Y:DR is definitely a favorite, with an illuminating portrait of Yoda as well as Dooku.

6. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    Where can I buy the Dark Empire+Dark Empire II+Empire's end?
    Is it costly and rare or is it still easily findable online?

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Not costly at all. Most major book retailers will have it on their websites, including Dark Horse itself. Some comic stores will have it in-store as well.

8. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    Ok thanks, does it have like a box set that include all 3 series?
    Also is the new jedi order costly?

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Well, NJO is like 18-20 books. Last I checked if you bought them new they'd each be between 8-10 dollars. If you got them used it'd probably be between 2-4 dollars each.

10. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    ok thanks!

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was lucky enough to get the first 6 or so at a bookstore's '2 for the price of 1' sale. You might also find cheap used copies in the Amazon Marketplace.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Amazon can be good for cheap cover prices but the shipping can nail you.

13. DarthBarrister

DarthBarrister Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 16, 2014
    If you have a newer Kindle or an iPad, you can get Dark Empire I and II for that.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The Marketplace can be rough on shipping charges but Amazon UK still has free shipping for UK book orders over a certain amount. It takes a few days longer but for free I can wait.

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ah nothing can ever top Tales of the Jedi in pure insane stuff when it comes to that.

I will have to go with the Lando Calrissian books here, since they have a ton of classic pulp sci-fi concepts.

16. rways

rways Jedi Knight

Jan 31, 2014
    What is the oldest serie in continuity terms?
    Is there any serie set between dawn of the jedi and tales of the jedi?

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Chronologically, Dawn of the Jedi is the earliest

There's nothing, currently, set between the early Tales of the Jedi era (Golden Age of the Sith, with Naga Sadow) and the Dawn of the Jedi era. However, a lot happened in that period - elaborated on in books like The Essential Atlas and The Essential Guide to Warfare.

18. Wun Hung Lo

Wun Hung Lo Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2014
    I just finished the JAT but skipped the X-Wing series and planned to go back and read at least the first half of them at some point. I was about to start I, Jedi as I've heard it is good and takes place at the same time as the JAT. Is it true that there are characters in I, Jedi that were introduced in the X-wing series? I suppose I'm wondering if it would be worth it to go back and read some of the X-Wing books before I, Jedi or does it even matter?

19. vadimk

vadimk Jedi Master star 1

Aug 27, 2009
    I, Jedi is readable as a standalone, but it can be enjoyed much better if you read Stackpole's X-wing books (first four of them). However, Allston's X-wing books are also good so you might want to read them too if you like the series.

20. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Hello! I am new to the board, and I haven't read all 96 pages of this thread so, sorry if the question has already been asked.

There is hundreds of books in the EU and I won't read them all. What I would like to read are the most important, relevant, significant novels in the EU. The prequel trilogy and the original trilogy is the core of star wars. So what other novels are vital to the EU?

For example, it seems that Cloak of Deception would be really important, since The Phantom Menace drops you in the middle of a complex plot, and Cloak of Deception helps you understand the movie. Darth Maul's Shadow Hunter on the other hand seems like a side story. Same thing with Courtship of princess Leia, while it appears important because it tells the story of Han and Leia' marriage, there is really no need for this story. At the end of Return of the Jedi, they end up together, and in the Thrawn Trilogy, they are married. It's an obvious story arc that don't require explanation.

Also Thrawn trilogy is vital, but Shadows of Mindor and Shadows of the Empire I would qualify as "The Many adventures of Luke Skywalker".

And Shatterpoint, which is said to be a great novel, doesn't seem really important. It's just some more info on a secondary character of the prequel trilogy.

So can you help me?

Thanks!

pronker likes this.
  21. Wun Hung Lo

Feb 10, 2014
    What are the best graphic novels and where is an ideal place to start in the timeline with the graphic novels?

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Wun Hung Lo likes this.
  23. Wun Hung Lo

Feb 10, 2014
    Very helpful indeed, thank you. It seems that whenever possible the omnibus is the way to go. What are your thoughts on the Tales of the Jedi series? I have yet to read anything from the Old Republic (or anything prior for that matter) but I do own the Bane trilogy and the Lost Tribe of the Sith collected stories and am curious where a good place to start in the Old Republic era would be? For example, should I start with the Tales of the Jedi or KOTR comics or just read the Lost Tribe of the Sith collected stories book? Orrrr get into the Dawn of the Jedi stuff and go from there?

Also, I was looking at the Emissaries and Assassins omnibus (among others but were all referenced in the link provided) and was wondering if it was any good?

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked it. Open Seasons was especially good - but it's also good to see what's being referred to in Shatterpoint when Mace remembers fighting Circus Horrificus akk dogs.

Wun Hung Lo likes this.
  25. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    It's okay. I'd recommend it for its historical value as the first Old Republic-era series and its influence on later stories, but in terms of quality the only really good book in the series is the final arc, Redemption. The others range from poor to decent.

The Old Republic isn't really one continuous era so much as several mini-eras separated by decades or centuries. The Dawn of the Jedi stuff is so far back it's technically another era anyway. Next is the TOTJ series. A few decades after that is the Knights of the Old Republic era, consisting of the comic series and the two video games. Then like a hundred years later there's the TOR comics, novels, and MMO. Then way after that you get to the New Sith Wars stories, which right now include Knight Errant (comics and novel), Jedi vs. Sith, and the Bane books. The Lost Tribe of the Sith stories run throughout most of those eras completely independently. It doesn't really matter which one you start with, they're each their own story.

Here I typed up this quick timeline because I have nothing better to do apparently.

Dawn of the Jedi era (25,793–25,792 BBY)
    "Dawn of the Jedi: Eruption" (short story included in Into the Void)
    Dawn of the Jedi Volume 1: Force Storm
    Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void
    "The Adventures of Lanoree Brock, Je'daii Ranger"
    Dawn of the Jedi Volume 2: Prisoner of Bogan
    Dawn of the Jedi Volume 3: Force War

Tales of the Jedi era (5,000–3,986 BBY)
    Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume 1
    Omnibus: Tales of the Jedi Volume 2

Knights of the Old Republic era (3,964–3,951 BBY)
    Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume 1
    "Labor Pains"
    Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume 2
    "Interference"
    Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume 3
    "The Secret Journal of Doctor Demagol"
    Knights of the Old Republic (video game)
    Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

The Old Republic era (3,681–3,640 BBY)
    The Old Republic: Revan
    Return
    The Old Republic Volume 1: Blood of the Empire
    Hope
    "The Old Republic: Smuggler's Vanguard"
    The Old Republic: Deceived
    The Old Republic Volume 2: Threat of Peace
    Red Harvest
    The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance
    The Old Republic Volume 3: The Lost Suns
    The Old Republic (MMO)
    The Old Republic: Annihilation

New Sith Wars era (1,032–980 BBY)
    "Knight Errant: Influx"
    Knight Errant Volume 1: Aflame
    Knight Errant
    Knight Errant Volume 2: Deluge
    Knight Errant Volume 3: Escape
    Jedi vs. Sith
    Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
    Darth Bane: Rule of Two
    Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil

Lost Tribe of the Sith (5,000–2,975 BBY)
    Lost Tribe of the Sith: The Collected Stories
    Lost Tribe of the Sith: Spiral

pronker, Gorefiend and Wun Hung Lo like this.