main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Hayden's Anakin iconic?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by LordThanatos, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Is Hayden's Anakin iconic?

1. Yes

45.7%
  2. No

54.3%
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Whether or not Hayden did a good job portraying the character and whether Anakin is a favorite character, is not the question.

The question is was Hayden's Anakin iconic.

These are separate questions.

As WAC-47 says:
    Anakin is not iconic

Yanksfan likes this.
  2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013

Oh my, then let's lock the thread. End of discussion everyone. Apparently discussion on if someone or something is iconic appears to be purely objective and not subjective at all. My bad.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  3. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    What images do people associate most strongly with Star Wars? Darth Vader, Luke, the ANH movie poster, the Star Wars logo, Yoda, even Darth Maul... These are the images that seem to adorn the most t-shirts, lunchboxes, etc. I'd say that these are all certainly iconic. I've never seen an Anakin Skywalker t-shirt on sale in a supermarket. I think his face may have featured on some toy packaging, but that's not really my scene. His face features on the single film DVD packaging, and on some of the single series Clone Wars/TCW boxes, but...

Vader is the dominant feature of the latest DVD release of the OT. The PT cover features Yoda. Maybe that's just Disney/LFL wanting to scrimp on likeness rights, but probably not. The complete saga BR box features Anakin on the cover, but not Hayden's Anakin. The Clone Wars box of series 1-5 features Ahsoka in prominence, with Anakin stood behind her.

4. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003

Oh great another new member who doesn't want to add anything constructive to this thread why don't you just stick to the pathetic IMDB!

Maul95 likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There's also the radical idea of not bashing someone as a person because he has an opinion that disagrees with yours.

I didn't realize that "constructive contributions" meant "praise only".

Welcome to the boards, Oberst Hans Landa . :)

Yanksfan, T-R- and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014

Oh, great. Another self-appointed moderator. Who are you again? I can post whatever the hell I want and there is nothing you can do about it.

Thank you. Glad to be here.

T-R- and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  7. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013

Calling Hayden "disgraceful" is downright disrespectful, far from a "constructive contribution". This kind of post shouldn't be allowed.

skyrimcat9416 likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Isn't censorship fun?

9. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014

You do realize, however, that just like you I am entitled to my own opinions and if I think the prequels were bad I am allowed to say so, as long as I do not personally offend anyone. If you like the prequels, fine. But I don't and I do think they're terrible movies. I do not have to agree with you or with anyone else. Jeez… Nazi Germany was defeated in 1945, by the way. And unless you're related to Hayden Christensen, which I doubt you are, I do not understand why you'd be offended by me saying his performance was disgraceful. Maybe you are taking these movies way too personally. I suggest you lighten up.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    V-2 already said it, but...

Personally, I think it's pretty obvious that he's not. All I have to do is look around me as I walk through life. Hayden just isn't in it.

Vader, Luke here to rescue you, Yoda's speech... it's everywhere. People are still lining up thirty-five years later to get JEJ to do "the voice". I haven't seen Hayden on The Big Bang Theory, I haven't even heard him mentioned. Hayden has all but disappeared. Anakin Skywalker has entirely disappeared. There is only Vader.

T-R- likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I take great pleasure in imagining Hayden trying to sit in Sheldon's spot.

"You're holding me back!"

Garrett Atkins, MOC Yak Face and T-R- like this.
  12. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    But like I said before, can you really fault Hayden for his subpar portrayal of Anakin Skywalker?

13. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    T-R- said it best already. The question is not if Hayden portrayed Anakin in a good way, but if he is iconic.

Of course - the answer is no. He's largely been forgotten since these movies. The only time I heard anyone mentioning him in connection to the PT is when someone wants to talk about his awful performance. At best, he is infamous for the role.

14. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Iconic? Then, no. It is not iconic. Darth Vader is iconic. ESB Yoda is iconic.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    No, I don't think he's iconic.

T-R- likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I loved AOTC when it came out, saw it ten times in the theater. Defended it on the boards. I still like the movie.

But, repeating what several other people have said...it hasn't aged well. I rarely watch it anymore in spite of once loving it, but I watch the OT movies pretty often. It will never be the classic that the OT films are. And when people quote Hayden's Anakin, they are not doing so with the same mindset that they use when quoting Han Solo, or Vader.

Example: "I love you." "I know." is an iconic romance exchange. "I don't like sand" and "My heart is beating, hoping that kiss won't become a scar" are held up as examples of what not to say on a date.

Is this Hayden's fault? Probably not. But the point stands.

Yanksfan, Heero_Yuy and MOC Yak Face like this.
  17. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    You actually saw it 10 times? :eek: what? In 6 months I hope.

18. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Recently, I have been scouring the web, in search of particulars on how to best construct a novel that I am currently working on--one portion of analysis having to do with creating the ultimate villain. A veritable constant amidst my studies on the subject(s) is the finding of listings on the greatest villains of all time, and those--more often than not--include deconstructing the variables that shaped them into such key figures. Darth Vader is darn near close to appearing on every list. The character is iconic, nay, legendary. A position shared by few, most notably Yoda, Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, Han Solo, Jar Jar Binks, Princess Leia, etc. as well as Luke Skywalker, whose mainstream relevance stems largely from his characters' relationship with the antagonist Darth Vader. Whilst Luke is the paragon of virtue, Darth Vader answers back as the perfect foil to his heroism... the archetypal villain.

Hayden... played a solid hand, so to speak, with the cards he was dealt--in terms of his performance as Anakin. Underrated, perhaps; iconic, not so much imho. If anything, perhaps, it is The Clone Wars cartoon series Anakin that may stake a future claim as iconic.

V-2 likes this.
  19. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    i don't think its iconic but i don't think he deserves all that flak he gets

T-R- and Oberst Hans Landa like this.
  20. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Hayden Christensen deserves much more credit for his portrayal of Anakin than he gets, so while I wouldn't say his performance is currently considered iconic, it deserves to be and hopefully will eventually become so.

21. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    It's iconic in the sense that it'll be remembered for decades to come for being an embarrassingly bad performance and a butchering of a potentially excellent character. Much the same way Sofia Coppolla's performance in Godfather Part III has been remembered only not as fondly.

The sad thing is I don't think it's all Hayden's fault. I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do as Anakin with better written material and competent direction.

22. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

I disagree.

23. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    I agree.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Hayden was everywhere for Episode II and III promotions, especially the latter. I wouldn't undermine him that much.

Btw Anakin is Vader ;)

JoshieHewls likes this.
  25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    WAS everywhere.