main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT What do you LIKE about the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, I'm not. You simply aren't listening thus I depart.

2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    :rolleyes: I am so sick of these contrarian posts around here.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    You don't seem to understand the Clone Wars. It was a huge conspiracy intended to transform the Republic into a dictatorship and destroy the Jedi. In order for it to work the "Republic" had to win the war. Sidious never intended for the CIS to continue after the war, they were just a tool to seduce the Republic.

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Peter Tarkin? Cushing was a lovely man that smelled of lavender.

The Grand Moff was all the more evil, dripping with it, effervescently, because he did it with a smile and veddy proper gentility.

5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    It's always been my understanding that Sidious didn't care either way who won. If the CIS won, then Palpatine would rule. If the Republic won, Palpatine would still win. I may be wrong, but I've always thought of it that way.

6. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Palpatine had a contingency for every outcome of each conflict. He was ready and able to turn anything to his favor.

7. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013

Palpatine is xenophobic, and he wanted an empire of man...hence cis is filled with aliens. It was his plan to lay the blame on those pesky and ugly aliens for the most destructive conflict the galaxy had seen to that point. And the Jedi, of course.

8. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    If the CIS won, I believe it would be only too easy for him to exterminate the Neimodians and the other leaders of the Confederacy. Another reason for The Clone Wars was to exterminate the Jedi, of course.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm sure he would have had a plan, but look at it this way, Dooku ruled the CIS officially, if the CIS won the war he would have the resources to betray and overthrow Sidious. Not to mention the CIS was a loose organization of of corporate entities, not as complete and organized as the Republic. The Empire that Palpatine envisioned has to be born from the ashes of the Republic.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Exactly. If the CIS won the war then it means he would have failed in his quest to completely destroy the Jedi, and we would have indeed had a civil war without end. The Jedi Order remnant vs the CIS vs whoever else.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  11. IIA_MasterSHenson

IIA_MasterSHenson Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 1, 2013

I'm a 1-6 lover myself. Let me see where to start...
    TPM
    • Qui-Gon
    • Shmi
    • Jake's acting as Anakin (honestly, I can't believe people feel he's a terrible kid actor)
    • Naboo (scenery, laws, military volunteers lol)
    • Queen Amidala/Padme
    • Podrace
    • Qui-Gon/Obi vs Maul fight
    • Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's relationship
    • Gungan city/army
    • Padme+security vs. Nute gunray's droids in palace (dope with just blasters)
    • Spaceport on Tatooine
    • Senatorial system (it was well laid out and pretty much believable)
    • Palpatine/Sidious!!
    • Handmaidens/decoys
    AOTC
    • Mace Windu!
    • Battle of Geonosis
    • Separatists Movement
    • Palpatine/Sidious!
    • Anakin and Obi-Wan (relationship evolution)
    • Anakin (becoming more of an unorthodox jedi)
    • Padme (she is great in every movie)
    • Padme+Anakin (despite the absence of the deleted scenes T_T )
    • Jango and Boba
    • Kaminoans (I like the aliens)
    • Dex and Obi-Wan (friends in all places)
    • Yoda's teachings ("wonderful the mind of a child" "too sure of themselves they are" "victory you say?")
    • Active Jedi in the galaxy affairs
    • Bail Organa
    ROTS
    • Mace Windu/Palp fight
    • Obi/Anakin fight
    • Sidious/Yoda fight
    • Order 66 (I hated it but I like how it showed why there's only 2 effing jedi in ANH)
    • Palpatine
    • Bail Organa
    • Obi-Wan delivering the babies
    • Anakin and Padme's talk before dueling with Obi-Wan
    • Clone/Jedi cooperation
    • Political scheme (republic to empire, emergency war powers, extended term. Palp had it all)
    • Padme pregnancy
    • Anakin becomes Vader (not necessarily liking it but it brought everything together once and for all)
    Those are just some of the major points I liked. :D

12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh] You're trying way too hard to troll prequel fans

13. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    I love:

-The awesome action.
    -Anakin's turn to the darkside.
    -Probably palpatine's manipulation of the senate, if I watched it once while paying enough attention (all the times I've watched the prequels I didn't pay enough attention due to my abnormaly short attention span, but it seems like palpatine was really cunning in his actions.
    -Palpatine himself.
    -Obi-Wan.
    -Darth Maul.
    -The awesome end of episode III.
    -The awesomely abundant awesome ships.
    -The way a lot of things tied into the original trilogy (though there were admittedly a little too many things that did).
    -The podracing.
    -The opening starfighter scene in episode III.
    -The duel between Obi-Wan, Qui-gon, and Darth Maul.
    -Obi-Wan's "noooooooo" when Qui-Gon dies.

I'll be back to post more things in an hour or so, I have something important to do.

More things that I like about the prequel trilogy:
    -Yoda as a younger Jedi being awesome in general and in lightsaber duels
    -Mace Windu and his purple lightsaber
    -Qui-Gon Jinn
    -The tension as Qui-Gon duels Darth Maul while Obi-Wan watches.
    -The Venator Republic Attack Cruisers, Eta-2 class interceptors, Naboo starfighters, vulture droids, podracers, AT-TEs, and Republic Gunships.
    -General Grevious and his four lightsabers.
    -Yoda's duel with Sidious.
    -The Jedi council room.
    -Coruscant
    -When Anakin's facing Count Dooku and they're both in a dark corner while Anakin wields both a blue and green lightsaber and Count Dooku a red lightsaber with sparks flying from a cut wire or something.
    -When Obi-Wan somehow still beats Grevious in a lightsaber duel easily despite him being a robot and wielding four lightsabers while he only has one.
    -Just about everything.

14. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    Everything.

From the story, characters, action, special effects, scores, cinematography, you name it.

I love everything about the Prequels.

15. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Got a big surprise with The Phantom Menace

I grew up with the OT. I was a crazy fan that was obsessed with star wars and wanted to know everything. Then the PT came out when I was in my 20's and I was disappointed. Nonetheless, I bought the VHS, and then the DVD version, but still ended up selling them and ignoring them.

I hadn't seen any star wars movie for quite a few years, and I was feeling depressed. So I decided to watch A New Hope. I didn't enjoy it too much and stopped the movie in middle. It felt... empty, and I couldn't get into the story. Maybe I've been spoiled by more complex stories.

A few days later I decided to watch The Phantom Menace. Surprise, surprise. For the first time, I really enjoyed that movie. I finally got it. It's such a complex and subtle movie. There's a lot going on in there, and it's easy to miss most of it.

It's here that we see why Anakin becomes the way he will be in the next to movies. He loses his mother, he gains a father then lose him, he gains a "sister" then lose her. He lose his home and is thrust into a world where he is not really wanted (watch how he is ignored in the scenes on Coruscant). He achieves his full potential when he is not held back by his mother, in the pod race. And then he's thrust into a world where nobody thrust him. The Jedi don't want to train him, Obi-Wan doesn't really want to train him either and only do so because of his promise to Qui-Gon. Anakin is offered his dreams on a silver plate by Qui-Gon, his freedom, seeing the universe, becoming a Jedi, and quickly his dreams are crushed. He led a not too harsh life as a slave under Watto, and then gains an heavier leash under the Jedi. There is a lot of things going on with Anakin, and I could go on and on for many pages.

Jar-Jar, the most hated Star Wars character, is also really important. He is stupid and annoying and can't do anything right. Yet in the next movie he becomes a political figure. Why? To show you that the Republic is lead by idiots, fools and corrupted people.

And we get to see Palpatine's plan going awry, to which he quickly react and takes advantage of unexpected development.

And the wooden dialogue is, I think, due to the state of the Republic and Jedi Order. Everybody of formal, with emotions held tightly under control. The world is rigid, austere.

Looking forward to watching episode II tonight...

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    So, the big surprise was that you enjoyed/liked The Phantom Menace? Well, that is good news.

And welcome to the Boards, Green Gogol.

17. Green Gogol

Green Gogol Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Not only enjoyed, but also that it is much more complex and subtle than it appears to be at first glance. I've felt in the past that the movie was mostly unnecessary, but that is simply not true.

Thanks!

18. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    1. Darth Maul vs Qui Gon and Obi Wan
    2. Pod Race
    3. Ian McDiarmid's portrayal of Darth Sidious and Senator Palpatine
    4. Kamino

Darth Maul Apprentice likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Better late than never. ;)

20. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I like most things. Didn't care for the over the top slapstick, the cheesy romance or the fact that they cut out some really good stuff. But I liked everything else.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  22. WAC-47

WAC-47 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    John Williams really helps. I'll say that

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    And Tatooine is hot. Every single day.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    I am a child of the OT. But I hold All 6 films very much at par for their own individual reasons.

I felt the TPM did exactly what it was meant to do. Kick off the Star Wars Saga. Shows us the politics of the time and the way the jedi operated then. The Action was Fantastic and let's face it, it was the first film in 16 years. So just the released anticipation was enough to make it great lol. We see a glimpse of the turmoil in Anakin and the path is opened for him to begin a journey towards the Dark Side.

In ATotC we begin to see Anakin's attachment issues. But most of all we finally get to see The Clone Wars and the Jedi in full Battle mode.

RotS Was just fantastic lol. Nothing else to say there. We all know the plot points.

The PT for me was fantastic. I love all 6 films and can't wait for 7-9

25. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014

Thank you very much. I'm glad to be here. :)