main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Well, I talked to my brother about our grandma, and he's going to try and get over here some weekend to see her. We think that due to her hearing loss, she's feeling isolated as she can't understand anyone and it maybe the reason she was trying to escape. Also, she can't effectively communicate her needs and no one can effectively communicate with her. When we can get in next to see her, we'll speak to her doctor about this, as we think it's more deafness than dementia.

Get her a decent hearing aid and the problem would be solved.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    That's what I don't get, why no one ever thought to get her a hearing aid. I mean, she should have coverage through Medicare (which is automatic at a certain age) and this is clearly hampering her ability to function.

3. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    We'll see what we can do. This would be something that'd be left to my dad, since he managed to win power of attorney over her. No wonder she acted like she didn't recognize him. I'd do the same thing if I were her. :p

4. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Hearing is a strange thing to me and it does seem when you point out that a person needs a hearing aid - sometimes they take offense. My Dad is 75% deaf in one ear and 50% deaf in the other ear --- most of this stems from him working in factories and not wearing ear protection and some of it is from a teenage accident. Lately I've been noticing that my Mom needs the TV up louder and louder to hear the shows. But neither one will ask their docs about a hearing aid.

Jedi_Lover --- good cat knapping your furry sourvenirs. When my Sis and I were kids we dog-knapped a young dog in our neighborhood that was being abused. And we thought we were great at it. I had a towel ready to wrap up the dog in and we had a friend of hers waiting on the corner for us with a car. My Mom was not too happy with us but she didn't make us return the dog. We actually saw the previous dog's owner throw the dog from a porch of a two story house and that's when we decided to be dog-knappers.

And cats are strange in that they will sometimes gravitate to the one person in the room who does not want their attention.

5. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Gemma I really didn't cat-nap my feline companions from Germany. They were pre-rescue animals (people have a litter of kittens and try to get rid of them before dropping them off at the pound).

6. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    My bad --- your furry sourvenirs -- reminded me of my dog caper -- I got confused. I've been at several sci-fi cons where people have brought a kitten to or a litter of kittens to try and get them homes before taking them to the pounds.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm watching it snow, watching it pile up more and more and thinking about all that I'll need to shovel. I'm considering shoveling every now and then just to keep on top of it.

8. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    I know what you mean -- I was just looking out my window. They said my area was only going to get about 5 inches - hah. I think the winds have shifted things --- looks like we may get about 10 to a foot. I hate this. I will have to spend a lot of tomorrow shoveling my car out for the weekend event I want to attend. I just hope it warms up a little like they said it should on Friday and Sat and gets rid of some of this. I have a bad feeling this is the storm that was supposed to hit us on Monday (17th) as they are now predicting sunny skies for Monday. Oh - well I guess I can complain too much - I had 3 good things in a row happen for me the other day. And this particular weekend is cursed for snow. We had two storms close together in 2003 dumping about 2 feet total and then again in 2009 we got about a foot.

I'm got most of my gear ready for my trip it's just getting the car cleared and loaded and then bouncing her out of her parking space. Once I get off the side streets in my area I should be in the clear. I hate when we have deep snows because the people shovel out spots and then they start fighting over them. It can get real ugly.

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Eight to fourteen, they're calling for my area. I just went outside and shoveled some of it, trying to keep on top of it. I'm not looking forward to shoveling a huge amount.

10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep, snowing up a storm here too. I had plans to go a few places today because I work Friday, Sat, Sun, Tuesday, Wednesday (and remember these are 12.5 hour shifts) and then I leave to head back to WV for a long weekend visit, but I guess I'm not going anywhere after all. I could, I have 4 wheel drive and am a good driver in the snow, but since it's not an absolute have to, I don't think it's worth it. I worry about the other people who despite living in New England, apparently don't know how to drive in the winter.

11. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I want it to snow here too, I love the snow. :(

12. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    If we could send these snowstorms across the pond we would gladly give them to you.

Since I lived in the south for many years I feel sorry for the people down there facing these storms. I know exactly what you are going through. Although we often have much more snow up here in the north we also have the proper equipment to clear the snow. Most of us have wood stoves in case of power outages or we have generators. I can't imagine the mess this makes on the roads. Millions of people who have no clue as to what to do when they go into a slide (thankfully anti-lock breaks solves many of the problems associated with ice).

Stay warm guys and keep off the roads unless you absolutely have to.

13. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    If it's storms then I think we'd better not have them. We've got a bit of a flood problem and the cold would only make things worse.

Yeah, it seems like the entire US population needs to have training on a skid pan. Lessons like how to stop skidding and how to not crash would be the most important. (I say the entire population because the people who need it would complain about being discriminated against).

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I just finished shoveling the sidewalk. There's more snow on the way for tonight. I need to shovel out my parking spot because my neighbor shoveled all the snow from theirs into it, even though their friends use it. 8|

Time to wait until they get back and then shovel it all onto their car...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    TrakNar and Juliet316 like this.
  16. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    She isn't referring to a public street, though.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The problems with my parking spot have been ongoing. I don't have a car, but I have a parking spot, which is reserved for my visitors. It has my apartment number on it. I've brought this problem up with the property manager over and over again, and I left a message concerning the latest issue.

I could shovel away the six-foot pile, and then shovel out the spot, but I'd rather let the plow get it.

18. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, why break your back doing it when the plow truck will likely do it for you? Still, I'd leave them a souvenir, maybe a small hand giving a middle finger made of snow, then stuck on the hood of their car...

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Yeah, I hate it when we have bad winters or should I say big storms laden with lots of snow. People in my neighborhood fight over public parking spots. So what I have learned from my Mom is -- just clean it enough to get out because if you clear the spot entirely -- you can forget it -- it won't be there later. My Mom is an excellent driver in this muck and I love to watch her jockey into and out of a messy spot. I'm pretty good but not as good as her.

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    So, boredom struck and this happened.

[​IMG]

Hypno can't learn Fly, but the image popped into my head and was too good to pass up.

Goodwood and moosemousse like this.
  21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    "It's coming right for us!"

BLAM!

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  22. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    TrakNar: as a huge pokemon fan I approve of that image!! :D

I need some cat advice. As long as I check my door I can keep this cat out of my room. It stops her getting in but it doesn't stop her trying. Anyone got any ideas as to how I can keep her away from the door?

23. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    How about whenever she starts pawing at the door or doorknob, you go over and smack it hard? That ought to scare her off...at least for the time being.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Is she trained to scoot when you show her a spritz bottle? Keep one by your door, and it should deter her.

And there's another 2-5 inches of snow headed my way for tomorrow.

25. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Excellent suggestions, but both flawed. One requires effort and could include getting out of bed, and we've never squirted out cats with any kind of bottle. I think it's because my room is usually the warmest in the house and as the boiler is broken the rest of the house is extra cold.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.