main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Bonus Content: The Lost Missions **NO SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Dark Lord Tarkas, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for sharing all the relevant speculation with none of the spoilers. :D (I wrote the above post to anakinfansince1983 before yours was up.)

2. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    C'mon, simultaneous worldwide DVD and Blu-ray release.
    [​IMG]

3. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Well with the release of that preview and other spoiler-y news tidbits, I'm jumping ship and hanging out here until we finally get some news on a release date. I don't want the last few new TCW episodes I'll ever experience to be spoiled for me. :D

4. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008

Super RTL is split 50/50 between Disney and RTL in Germany, Cartoon Network has nothing to do with it. CN only ran TCW on a season by season basis. Since season 6 wasn't optioned by CN there is no legal hold up there. Now the only place a hold up could come from is RTL itself. Even though 50% of ot is owned by Disney the channel some what split as of the 14th of last month when Disney Channel became a basic and satellite cable channel.

I expect an announcement this week from LF on the bonus content and when kit will be shown in the US. Honestly I'm expecting the same date for here as Germany has, but if there is an agreement with Super RTL expect at least a one week delay for the US for when the season will air.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  5. Darth Desolous

Darth Desolous Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    It would be nice if we do get the announcement this week, and I have that feeling that we will. But what is still bothering me is the number of episodes. The 13 episode count still bothers me because I can still remember when Pablo Hidalgo stated that "10 sounds too low," which suggests 15+. Since it sounds like we will be getting a different method of watching the episodes rather than broadcasting, then we will probably get a different number of episodes too.

I like to see all of this as not "fully" legit until LFL releases a statement. Poland said it was just 10 episodes, and yet they were wrong (and there were scenes of the Clovis arc in that trailer so that was not the reason why they said 10).

6. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

The whole point I was making in my post (and that many others are making as well) is that Cartoon Network's contract with LFL had a non-disclosure agreement and an exclusivity clause stating that they would receive exclusive rights to broadcast any NEW TCW content. It doesn't matter that Disney now owns LFL, Disney still has to keep LFL's contractual agreement with CN. Season 6/TCWBC did not need to be optioned by CN - their initial contract entitled them to "first broadcast" as it was "new" TCW content. Thats partly why it was canceled - Disney was under contract to give CN any new material produced and there's no point in giving new material produced to a rival network to benefit from. Disney owns the characters, the old episodes, everything related to TCW (as LFL did before the buyout), but the one thing they surrendered to CN in order to secure a contract for 100 episodes (and reach syndication) was the rights to be the first network to introduce new content. After that, it was fair game.

Not sure if it applies internationally or to specific markets. If its internationally, then, theoretically, the German release would meet CN's contract as the new content was being aired first by a CN affiliate. SuperRTL is a Cartoon Network affiliate.

7. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008

Cartoon Network's involvement is a non issue, Lucasfilm has already stated that the BC will not air on CN, but yet we know it will air sometime in the US. So whatever contract issues may have existed have been settled.

Super RTL is not a Cartoon Network affiliate, it is owned and operated 50/50 by the RTL Group and the Walt Disney Company. So again even in Germany the BC is on essentially a Disney channel, the same as it will be in the US.

Another thing people are overlooking is that talk of cancelation of TCW started nearly 10 MONTHS before the announcement was made that Disney was buying Lucasfilm. A lot of the talk around that time was that CN wanted out.

So again, the TCWBC is being aired on a Disney owned channel in Germany not Cartoon Network. Lucasfilm has officially stated that TCWBC will NOT be on CN in the US. That really leaves one option, Disney will be airing the Bonus Content.

8. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

I never said Super RTL was owned by Cartoon Network. I said it was a Cartoon Network affiliate. Which it is. RTL is a privately owned German "free-to-air" broadcast company. The German Cartoon Network station is a "purchased" station. Cartoon Network has deals with RTL run stations (such as SuperRTL) for the rights to air their content. Therefore, SuperRTL is affiliated with Cartoon Network and affords CN the opportunity to broadcast their more popular content free to the public. Star Wars: The Clone Wars is one of those programs.

SuperRTL is:
    • 50% owned by Disney
    • 50% owned by RTL - which is affiliated with Cartoon Network programming - specifically, Star Wars: The Clone Wars

It is a unique situation that is not experienced here in the states nor many other markets that I know of…the theory I posted earlier assumes that this unique situation posed an ideal circumstance to release the Bonus Content without issue and with a piece of the pie.

9. Corax78

Jun 2, 2008
    Then this is where the confusion is coming from. If CN in Germany is selling the airing rights of their shows to other channels it doesn't make them a true affiliate of Super RTL, it makes them a client. Now this is where it gets fun. As I have stated Lucasfilm has confirmed that Cartoon Network will not be airing the episodes, that means that CN in Germany had no episodes to sell the rights to for RTL to air. That means that the Disney Company half of Super RTL already had the rights to the episodes in the first place.

Cartoon Network Germany wouldn't have access to episodes that the parent company no longer has. We can extrapolate from that fact that the BC will air on a Disney Channel in the States. We will most likely get the announcement this week and it wouldn't surprise me if the BC hits Netflix very shortly after airing on Disney either.

10. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

^Sound logic. On the surface, this seems like it should settle the argument, however, one aspect that we haven't been discussing is the differences in contracts for various markets. We have no idea what the details of the contracts were or how different they were from market to market. The rules in Germany may not apply at all from a legal standpoint to the U. S. situation. But yes, the one thing that is known, based on the Statement from LFL last week, is that the BC will not be airing on Cartoon Network in the States. I posted this in the spoiler thread but since it doesn't really contain any spoilers, I'll bring it over here too since its relevant:

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks for all the good info.

12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  13. qiugonobi1961

qiugonobi1961 Jedi Knight

Apr 18, 2011
    Newdawn thanks for the link it just make me wonder when Netflix UK will show this

14. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Sweet. I'm a tiny bit disappointed that it's only 13 episodes because of the lack of the bounty hunter arc... but that was a long shot anyway, so for the most part I'm pretty stoked to get to finally see these episodes. Here's praying that they'll be worth the wait.

Hopefully non-US folk get to have the episodes streamed legally somewhere soon as well, but either way I'm sure once they're up they'll be ways of finding them ;)

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, happy to see this, and on a service I already pay for.

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm going to start getting it again for this. I remember it being super cheap when I had it, is it still?

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's $7.99 a month for up to two devices. I pay $11.99 for four. Well worth the cost.

There are several movies and TV shows that I haven't bought DVDs for, because I just put them in my Netflix streaming queue and rewatch them that way.

18. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013

I haven't read the terms and such but is that 2 devices=$8/4 devices=$12 for streaming simultaneously?

Because I have my Netflix account linked to 7 devices (4 BD players, my appleTV, X-box 360 and iPhone) + 3 computers and I only pay $7.99/month

EDIT: actually 8 devices (I just let my sister link it to her appleTV as well)

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    anakinfansince1983 Awesome, I think that's what it cost when I had it. It's great they're getting the whole series too.

20. Revenge of the Dak

Revenge of the Dak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 27, 2012
    So Disney just backed Netflix! Wow, o bet the cable companies are pissed!

Can't wait!

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes : it's for simultaneous streaming. There have been many times when the kids wanted to watch two different shows and I wanted to watch something at the same time.

22. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Gotcha - I figured it had to be...

Well, Disney also owns 1/3 of Hulu (with the other 2/3rds owned by Fox and NBC/Universal) So I'd say its nothing too unexpected or upsetting for the cable companies - especially when some of them actually include Netflix apps on their DVR platforms now.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Netflix, is doing better than Hulu plus, and starting in 2016, we might get episodes I to VII on Netflix, along with TCW, and Rebels

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    So what the heck is Disney going to do with Cad Bane/Ventress/Ahsoka? Just pull a Force Unleashed 2? I have to admit, my trust in them has been shaken.

25. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Can someone post the new spoiler rules for the BC in this thread so those not wanting to be spoiled know where not to go?