main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series No Romance between Main Characters Plz

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 6, 2014.

?

Should there be Romance between some of the main Characters?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. maybe

23 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was totally a shipper looooong before I ever knew what it was. TV Tropes was probably where I first heard the term "shipping" and really caught onto the phenomenon.

Contessa likes this.
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Now that I've seen Kanan's appearance, he totally needs to give Hera the smolder.

[​IMG]

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think we are gonna be SOL with this one. Weisman is said to love his ships. I mean look what he did with the single episode of Transformers Prime he wrote. That said, no love triangles or quadrangles please. And if we catch up with Lux make sure he's got someone smokin' with him that would make Steela roll over in her grave and hopefully Ahsoka in her's.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not as familiar with Weisman as some of you all but now I'm thinking that our best hope is a paraphrase of Steve Martin's "amazingly brilliant non-ape that I'm going to have to support" from Father of the Bride:

An amazingly brilliant non-Sue.

Too optimistic?

Seerow and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Personally, I could do just fine without ever seeing Lux or his stupid hat again.

Seriously, folks, what was with that thing?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    But he might egg some houses.

Which would be funny.

Or not.

Seerow and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

His Stan hat. I liked Lux honestly. What I liked about him is he wasn't a Jedi or anybody with any kind of training or skill. He was just a regular old dumbass teenager who had probably always been a Mommy's boy until she got wacked who got into stuff that was way over his head, like trying to deal with Deathwatch. I think he deserves better than the idiots he got into a love triangle with in the Onderon arc.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't hate him, but damn, he was dull. I couldn't even wrap my brain around the triangle. It was like two chicks fighting over an ordinary Ticonderoga lead pencil. Unsharpened.

Mia Mesharad and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Lol, they could have gone the OMG this is messed up Sword Art Online route and had Saw be the 'adopted' brother raised without ever knowing he was adopted until two years before the Onderon arc. Steela's got the hots for him but tries to forget about him with Lux. Don't whanna know where that leaves Ahsoka. Hmmm...did you guys know Weisman worked on an anime series before?

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    This is why I don't understand people who just hate the whole idea of shipping. Most people do it, and they do it without even thinking about it. If you had any sort of positive feelings toward Han and Leia getting together, congratulations, you're a shipper. People can get stupid over crack shipping (picking two characters and swearing they're meant for each other, canon and logic and characterization be damned) but it's ridiculous to decide that you want to cut all relationships for anti-shipper lulz.

I'll be worried about queer couples showing up "organically" when people actually worry about straight couples only showing up "organically". So...never. And it isn't just some PC agenda to provide actual people with actual representation.

Pretty sure the writers straight up said they'd have Bubblegum and Marceline in a full blown relationship, and they wrote them that way, but couldn't come out and say it because censors and it's a kid's show and ****. Even though Finn gets to date whoever the **** he wants all the time, so it's just the typical heteronormative crap of the day.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  11. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, when I say I like to mock shippers, there's always an implicit qualifier there that by "shippers" I'm referring to the loony fringe (although I do think they're less of a fringe then some people say). I don't usually empathize with the more normal sort, but I don't have a problem with them either.

Though I'd also say it does go beyond just having "any sort of positive feelings" towards a pair of characters getting together.

12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Not to mention the one thing that WAS interesting about him (being a not evil Seperatist) was summarily dropped in order for him to fall in line with the good guys with their support of the Republic. He should have been a Seperatist to the end and the Republic SHOULD have been responsible for Lux's mother's death. Instead it was just a plot by the EVIL COUNT DOOKU! How dull.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What Vthuil said.

Using the Harry Potter example, there was no romance in any of the books until book 5 unless you count Vernon and Petunia, who ironically, nobody 'shipped.

But everyone else who walked on two legs got paired with someone in fandom minds. And the 'ships ranged from absurd to hilarious. Hermione/Malfoy? Really??? LMAO.

The Harry/Hermione vs Ron/Hermione 'shipper wars are the most well-known. I couldn't bring myself to care about either of those; the level of outrage among some in the war provides plenty of trolling opportunities though.

As far as "having positive feelings" about two characters getting together, there's a difference between that and "ZOMG THE STORY IS RUINED!" if the characters don't get together.

Heero_Yuy : I agree, but I suppose Ahsoka could not possibly fall for a guy who remained a Separatist. Only Padme does **** like that.

Vthuil and Heero_Yuy like this.
  14. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Maybe not, but I was just thinking of him in terms of what would be interesting as a character. As opposed to token love interest. It seems I put more thought into Lux than GL or Filoni did.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought Ahsoka leaving the Order for a Separatist would have a good contrast to what Anakin did, and would have developed her beyond the bland do-gooder that she became in later seasons.

I don't know if it would have been interesting or annoying, but I think I would have liked it better than what we got.

The Republic should have definitely been responsible for Mina Bonteri's death though, either intentionally or as collateral damage.

16. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    I actually thought it would have been interesting if Anakin was directly responsible for Amina Bonteri's death. As in, he gave the order to have her ship fired upon.

17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Surely book 4 would be the better starting point?

(Note that this is wholly irrelevant to the conversation).

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought about that after I posted and yeah, maybe so.

This is the best love scene in all of the movies or books:

Vthuil and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I think having an 'LGBT couple' would be a big landmine if you ask me. Mainly because people get into ugly fights over such things and everything goes downhill fast. Rarely are such things handled well and often it becomes a grandstanding on pushing a position on something, and rarely does it have any room for any real acceptance of all opinions except those that are in favor of the couple.

And I picked 'No' on the romance option.

20. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    In case you didn't know Disney actually introduced a LGBT couple on their show Good Luck Charlie: http://www.alligator.org/the_avenue/movies_and_tv/article_1c046128-9469-11e3-b756-0019bb2963f4.html

Did it garner some degree of controversy? Of course. The One Million Mom's organization complained about it. But Disney stuck with their decision and went with it anyways. I have no problem with a LGBT couple being shown or at the very least alluded to/hinted at in Rebels as long as they don't get political with it.

In other words while I have no issue with a LGBT couple appearing in Rebels I wouldn't want a scenerio like the writers using something like that solely to introduce some type of agenda. I don't want real life political issues to slip into Rebels. Trust me, I found it annoying when the writers alluded to real life issues in TCW (see episodes like Pursuit of Peace) and I would find it annoying if they try the same thing with Rebels.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  21. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^ Exactly. If a homosexual couple is introduced it should be handled the same way a straight couple would be, I'd have NO problem with it. That's all you really need to do.

I was thinking the other day about how I'd have handled Barriss/Ahsoka as a pairing if I were in control of the series. While rewatching the Fugative arc, it occurred to me. In "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much," at the end of Ahsoka and Barriss' little talk, a bit I'd have added would be for Ahsoka to look around a bit (to see if anyone's looking) and kissing Barriss on the cheek before going to see Anakin. There. That's a clean, tasteful way to signify to audience members that two characters if the same sex are more than just friends.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    But that is hard not to end up having something like that. Usually whenever something like that gets shown it ends up looking like a blatant attempt to be 'progressive,' and very often makes the character's sexuality a defining point of their character instead of a small bit. Often these characters will be hypersexual and in a bunch of casual sexual relationships, rarely are they celibate or being other then 'gay.' A big tell tale sign of this is when shows make a big deal about that character kissing, you'll see long panning shots and hyping over it in ways that you wouldn't see with a straight character.

I think the other problem with it is, are people allowed to object to it if they don't like it for whatever reason? Often whenever a person makes a comment against something like this, people get mad and make him censor his own opinion. I'm not talking about gay bashing, but just not wanting to see that kind of stuff on TV. It's like when stuff like this comes on, people get vicious in ways that you wouldn't see then if a person said they didn't want to see any straight romances on a show.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    How do you define "that kind of stuff"?

If people don't want to see a same-sex relationship for the same reasons they don't want to see an opposite-sex relationship..not into romance stories, don't feel the writer can pull it off, etc.--I have no problem with that. And no, I definitely don't think that a same-sex relationship should be written as "Hey, look at the gay couple!" That does a disservice to same-sex couples in RL who are living just as "out of the spotlight" as opposite-sex couples...read: most of them.

During the whole Chik-Fil-A debacle, a lesbian friend of mine commented that she would not participate in any of the "kiss-ins" because her relationship with her partner was not for public display or political gain any more than a straight couple's relationship would be. I agree with this. If a same-sex relationship is shown, it should not be a big deal.

When someone advocates for an opposite-sex romance as a primary plot point, or objects to anyone saying they don't want an opposite-sex romance, then makes loud objections to same-sex romance, I admit that I get suspicious and can't view the person's motives as anything but homophobia.

Heero_Yuy and Vthuil like this.
  24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, love does tingle a bit.

25. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There's been like, what? Two major romances on screen?

Anakin/Padme and Han/Leia.

Now, IMO Anakin and Padme were just so awkwardly handled that no future romances should really look to them for inspiration, neither for heterosexual or homosexual relationships.

With Han and Leia, their relationship was pretty much rated G. They each say the love each other, I think kiss a whopping two or three times, and that's about it, I think as "steamy" as it got for them was when Leia had dirty hands and Han's seduction was interrupted by 3PO.

Translating that format to a homosexual relationship would be just about as inoffensive as it could be. Two men or women saying they love each other and giving each other kisses that are probably no worse than anything that's been animated in a Disney film.

I would expect a heterosexual romance to be the major romance, if for no other reason than the majority of the world's population is heterosexual and so that type of relationship is probably more marketable. I mean, I've seen plenty of men lust after Leia (after ROTJ) and have heard several women comment on how sexy Han was when he says "I know" in ESB.

But I would see no reason to object to a homosexual relationship for another character.

Jedi Knight Fett and Contessa like this.