main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series What other forms of evil should appear in Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 10, 2014.

1. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Bounty hunters are always cool.

I don't want to see any Mandalorians though. I hate how they've become as common as the average Stormtrooper now. Really cheapens Boba Fett and makes him seem a lot less unique.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Like I said earlier, I like the idea of both CIS remnants and terroristic proto-Rebels showing up, but I'd prefer to keep them as separate concepts. Mixing them sort of limits the story possibilities for both, especially the former.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I wrote a rather long idea out in the Rebels episode idea thread,

But in short, when it comes to terrorist proto-Rebels, I wouldn't mind seeing them lead by Saw Gerrera. His sister died because the Jedi and Republic wanted to use Onderon as a test bed for training local insurgents rather than contributing more than the minimum of Republic resources, then you have propaganda going around that the Jedi are traitors, but then the Republic itself becomes a militant Empire and begins occupying systems and establishing military governors.

I would think he'd have every reason to be cynical, angry, and really fight with little regard for others.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I kind of liked Saw, so I would be on board with that idea.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Saw would IMO be the perfect character to be the terrorist type of Rebel. He was always a bit of a jerk, even to his own sister when she got to lead the resistance instead of him. Plus, he just has a mean look to him. Not that looks make one's personality, but he look so stereotype that it would almost disappoint me if they didn't go with the idea of him starting a proto-Rebel terrorist group.

TaradosGon likes this.
  6. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    Like others said, I would definitely be stoked to see the main cast confronted by some Rebels that take their ideals too far and employ terrorism or suicide bombers to attack Imperial civilians instead of the oppressive military itself.

And this still falls into the vein of the Empire, but I really hope in the intro to the series we see Ezra have some friends (or former lover) stay in the Imperial military after his defection. And then much later on in another season have him be confronted by said friend/lover only to have them become a main antagonist or rival. Maybe after the Inquisitor has become stale or is defeated, and the rival can become the new main baddie? I'd be down for that.

TaradosGon and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Psychos and villains who just want to rule the word are over done man, we've got those in SW. I want to see some shades of gray for evil. Lets have the Rebel teens up against their own parents who are really good people, or just people mislead, or completely good people they can't trust. Another one I'd love is a 'David' type character.We need a good traitor in the main group. Not character who really does it for the sake of being insane, evil, or greedy (although he can seem that way a little). I guess a character just like that is kinda hypocritical but said character wasn't just a sociopath. He might have had a couple of loose screws to begin with but he went insane from being so quickly uprooted from his life, losing his parents, and blaming the group that took him in for everything. The end results were sad and tragic.

QuangoFett likes this.
  8. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Just like there being this whole order of Jedi around really cheapens Obi-Wan and makes him less unique, right?

Yeah...his stereotypical look is exactly what's kind of putting me off the idea. I can't say I really love the idea of seeing "brown terrorist guy" in Star Wars. I'm good for seeing Saw back, but if we're doing a radical rebel faction, I don't think building them out of a POC population like Onderon is the best move.

9. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The thing about Mandalore is.. the Mandalorians (and by this I mean the true Space Viking Mando'ade, not Satine's pacifistic neo faction) wouldn't appreciate being lorded over and jackbooted by the Galactic Empire any more than the Jedi or anyone else would.

So Palpatine is going to have to be prepared either to afford the Mandalorians a lot of autonomy, or be prepared to fight and crush them. Which would be a bit like swallowing a porcupine - thd Empire could do it, but it would be far from comfortable.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm trying to think... what haven't we seen yet?

Let's confer with the venerable time-tested D&D protocols:

[​IMG]

Hmmmmm... looks like we saw something of everything in TCW, but we might be lacking on the Neutral Evil. Maybe Borkus? Naw, on second thought that guy was pretty Lawful. He was perfectly in his rights not to serve obnoxious Republic toadies. Cad Bane is close to Neutral Evil but I'm pretty sure he's got some agendas... "The Box" showed us that much. We have seen a lot of literal monsters (e.g. Zillo Beast), but Neutral Evil doesn't have to be relegated to that alone.

I think we could also use some more Chaotic Evil. Except not that Nuvo Vindi guy. If I have to sit though another episode of that it will be on mute.

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

Given the amount of autonomy the Hutts (or at least Jabba) was given, I don't know just how much Palpatine felt the need to subjugate every single system militarily. As long as the Mandalorians accepted Imperial hegemony and kept things orderly in their own system, Palpatine might just not care. Death Watch even pledged allegiance to a Sith (Maul), after he beat Pre Vizsla in single combat. We don't know what exactly became of Maul yet, but Palpatine could even use him to establish the Mandalorians as a puppet state, or use Vader in a similar manner to reclaim the allegiance of Mandalore's warrior clans in the GCW era.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Would adding highly advanced but relatively benign entities (no interest in what the "lesser" species are doing), which by their very nature, do "evil things" without even thinking it is, break the usual Star Wars mould?

Kinda like The Walkers of Sigma 957 in Babylon 5. Anyone going near their planet at the "right" time tends to die when their inter-dimensional traveling ship enters our universe and returns home.

I've always been partial to such things; I think it's good to be humbled.

13. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    There's enough enigmas and advanced ancient aliens in the SW universe that such a thing wouldn't be implausible, but I'm not sure how well it would fit the tone of this show.

14. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Civilians that were once good people when the Republic was in power that are now blindly following rules of the Empire. What I mean by that is that let's have ordinary people who were once friends of Jedi living on their planet but now lead witch-hunts.

15. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    Saw was one of the very few things I liked about the Onderon arc. Yeah, I didn't care much for that arc at all.

I like the idea of smugglers and bounty hunters appearing in Rebels. Gang members and other criminal types should appear too. Bad rebel organizations appearing would also be nice to see.

16. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The Yuuzhan Vong are religious fanatics.

Depending on whether or not they survive the Story Group review process, you may get your religious fanatics.

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I don't know if they would necessarily have to be evil, but we know that there are worlds beyond the reach of the Republic, like Tatooine was in TPM and Kamino was in AOTC.

The Empire has this massive military, and with patriots flocking to enlist during a time of relative peace in the wake of TCW.

Is the Empire expanding and conquering systems that were once beyond its borders? I wouldn't mind seeing them encounter another state and spark a war. Nothing that needs to be to the scope of TCW mind you. But even if it's just a powerful enough entity that Palpatine can pull some 1984 **** and let them attack the Empire, let people get killed, causing patriotism to swell and the people to turn to Palpatine for aid, before Vader and the military swoop in to save the day.

18. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    That sounds pretty cool.

If you have a look at Umbara, they're a solitary system with a fairly potent level of power; the difference being they were a part of the Republic. Even without CIS aid, they'd be a serious threat if you wanted to invade them/force them into your Empire.

The Empire expanding into some unknown systems could lead to small, albeit devastating localized wars -- which as you say, builds up patriotism in the Empire. Which gives a precedent to expand forces and build more powerful weapons (not that the CIS wasn't precedent enough, but they were a familiar group, not some distant alien force).

19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  20. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    ...What would the Yuuzhan Vong be doing in Rebels?

21. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    If - and I think it is a long shot - the Yuuzhan Vong were ever to appear in Rebels I would think it would have to be the most minor of appearances.

I know very little about the Vong, but I know in KOTOR that one of Canderous' war stories involves something like an asteroid that turns out to be a ship and flees beyond the rim of the Galaxy and Canderous gave up his pursuit of it and tells Revan something like "Anything that wishes to commit suicide out in that void is insane" (not verbatim).

I was posting on the TOR forums around the time of the beta and I recall there was a thread where someone speculated that this might have been a nod to the Vong. Canderous never said Yuuzhan Vong and never found out what that asteroid was, but some fans were thinking it was supposed to be a Vong scout ship or something like that.

I don't know if that story was ever confirmed to be a nod to the Vong or not.

But Rebels could depict some kind of similar experience where a Vong scout party is encountered and then flees, but obviously there are limits to what they could do.

At most, I would think a similar Canderous style story of bizarre occurrences being reported near the edge of the galaxy would be the optimal way to give a nod to the Vong without requiring that anything actually be shown. Though the Vong are something I question will ever make it out of the Story Group in tact and so am not really holding my breathe for a reference at all.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  22. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If Outbound Flight is to be believed, there were people in the Empire who knew about the Vong in 27 BBY.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    What if they take outbound flight, out of canon, because it ties in with the TTT, and the NJO

24. anotherdemon

Apr 29, 2013
    Extragalactic invasions would tend to be large affairs based on how long the journey would take; scouting/picket forces ahead of a couple of other groups. Throwing it all in in other words.

The amount [and power] of extragalactic invaders would determine what they feel they could take, though just being extragalactic would make for a few likely scenarios.

If there was a galactic threat, you probably would hear about it in the ST though.

Uncharted systems housing malevolent and powerful beings are always a good standby (whilst Palpatine isn't a "good guy", he still wants the galaxy to thrive, just in his way). A nihilistic or xenocidal race with the level of Star Wars technology could cause quite a bit of destruction before being countered, even if they were relatively small in scope. Since they're "small", they wouldn't rate as worth mentioning in the ST, unlike The Clone Wars (which was in passing too).

Something like the Husnock in The Next Generation, just without the magical entity that stopped them.

The question would be why they're just coming out now..., well, perhaps they were happy in their systems until the Empire sent probe droids/scouts out; they find who's responsible, and start destroying the closest worlds that house the probe droid owners (destroying worlds meaning: just bombarding the surface until it's sterile, not blowing it up like the Death Star), and they don't stop until they're stopped. The probe droid incursion could be some unholy act for this species that requires utter annihilation of the perpetrator.

The Empire comes in in force and wipes them out easily enough (losing some ships, but nothing out of the ordinary), but not before billions have been killed by the aliens.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If they decanonize everything that ties in with post-ROTJ EU, they would have to decanonize all pre-Darth Ruin Sith.