main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's Official! Star Wars: The Clone Wars In Theaters and on Television in 2008!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by e1jnky, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    It is finally getting good again. This was the first episode in a long, long time (Since Krell) that I have really liked. This one felt like true Star Wars.

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  2. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Fruit Loops and Clone Wars in jammies!

3. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    HOLY CRAP Clone Wars was sooo good...this morning.

by the end lots and lots of tears.

4. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    So you guys are finished with the season now, right? I'm actually really far behind, far enough that I don't even know how much I've missed. However, I did see the 4 episodes for the end of the season at a Lucasfilm screening. Good work, very emotional. Of course, it's only now, more than a week later, that I finally think of the question I wished I'd thought of to ask during the Q&A session afterwards. Talk about delayed thinking.

5. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Wow, how did you get invited to a screening? These were incredible episodes, that had my 4 year old in tears, and my 9 year old wondering why dad was also so upset. I had no idea after leaving the theater in August 2008 that this set of characters, namely Ahsoka, could get me this emotionally involved.

nnaydolem likes this.
  6. Nagayoshi

Nagayoshi Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2012
    The best season so far. As far as season six, I know they've developed and maybe even completed a bunch of episodes... but Bob Iger over at Disney is supposedly mulling over cancelling the show. If season six does show up it will probably be on ABC Family or Disney XD or the like. I'd be shocked if Cartoon Network gets to carry it with the Disney/Lucasfilm acquisition.

Even if they do cancel it, there's rumblings that the un-aired episodes will make their way to web content or straight to DVD release.

I really hope they keep going with the show, they getting better and better the closer they get to Episode III. Speaking of, I just watched Episode III again the other day... and man... it's so damn good. It really is on par with the OT.

nnaydolem likes this.
  7. The_Kwisatz_Haderach

The_Kwisatz_Haderach Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 20, 2010
    Just caught the last two episodes last night. Wow, just awesome. When this show gets it right, they really feel like the best of Star Wars. I hope there's another season.

nnaydolem likes this.
  8. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Loved it. Great last arc of the season.

Spoilers!

Bariss Offee was the guilty party?!? Her explanation made perfect sense and she is vindicated knowing what we know about Ep 3 and beyond. I wonder if she got the death penalty.
    And Ki-Adi-Mundi was kind of a dick pushing for Ahsoka's guilt the whole time.
    And the Jedi Council has no backbone when they should have stood up for what would have been right and defending Ahsoka.
    Tarkin didn't have much in the way of evidence. The whole "court proceedings" was a sham from the start. The video of Ahsoka choking the bomber should have been thrown out if it was challenged, due to tampering since there was no audio...and how did Bariss sneak in and Ahsoka not feel her friend's presence in the force?
    Ahsoka's right to not go back to the order that questioned her innocence and stripped her of her padawan title. Screw them, yo.

C'mon Season 6!

Obey Wann and nnaydolem like this.
  9. jedijaysin

jedijaysin Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 15, 2011
    I agree!

nnaydolem and DieWompRatDie like this.
  10. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I was kind of disappointed that Bariss was the guilty party. I mean, it was obvious that it was going to be her - it's not like it wasn't telegraphed all along - but I'm sad that it went that way. There haven't been that many padawan characters developed, especially ones coming from the movies themselves. She was pretty cool. I'm not sure I quite followed all of the logic in her change, though. Her main point of contention seemed to be how much the Jedi had strayed from their original path and role. However, they also somewhat implied that she turned darkside with her comment about the lightsabers suiting her. Did they mean it that way? Turning dark is inconsistent with her main point about straying from the path. I don't know how she snuck in either (security seemed pretty tight) , but as for how Asoka didn't sense her... I assume it has to do with the Dark Side clouding things. Seems like the Jedi are crap at sensing darksiders at this point in time. Or who knows... on another theory, perhaps Jedi have a regular skill to go undetected when they need to do so.

Definitely the court proceedings were ridiculous. I couldn't decide whether it was a result of being a kids' cartoon show (they aren't going to follow more detailed and realistic court proceedings) or if it was meant to be that way as a reflection of how the Republic is changing into the Empire.

They did mean to show the problem with the Jedi Council, though. Dave Filoni talked about how they meant to illustrate the problem that the Jedi Council was developing - becoming too political and tied to the Senate and such. Sorry, I can't remember quite how he put it.

He also talked about Asoka's reaction and decision at the end. He said that for all that she's a Jedi, she is also a teenager and her choice reflected that. Ashley Eckstein said that she reacted very strongly when she first read the script, emailing Dave with a whole list of questions asking what was going on and why Asoka was going this direction.

So looking ahead... I wonder what this means for Asoka? If she stays out of the Jedi order, could this mean she might escape the Purges?

As for a next season... they were deliberately vague on that question. The basic statement was "we don't know yet when or where it will air". The implication was that they thought it would air, and it wasn't clear how far along they were in figuring out the when and where. Could be they have something in the works and just aren't able to talk about it yet.

11. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    About once a year, they invite the local fan clubs to a screening at Lucasfilm. It usually coincides with a season finale or sometimes season premiere. It's interesting to hear them talk about the show. You get to really see that for all that it's a kids' cartoon, they really do put a lot of thought into the development direction, details, and whys of everything.

12. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Man, I'm insanely jealous and would love to go to one of these screenings one day. Maybe with our strong FF and the general SW fan community in Colorado we can convince them to come here and screen something one day...

13. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005

WOW JT! Some heavy criticism there Ole Bean. ;)

However, You are right about Master Mundi. The only thing missing there was his tail between his legs. (if he had a tail that is)

I admit that the Council surprised me with their lack of faith concerning Ahsoka but at the same time, the politics of the Senate, looming as they are has put the Jedi Order in conflict with their Peaceful Ways and you can tell they are disturbed by the pressure of the NEW Republic Army and Tarkin with all the militaristic posturing and Palpy pulling the strings from the shadows. It makes sense to the story. IMO. I'm loving it though!

I think Ahsoka, though powerful, is still not fully adept in The Force as it may pertain to sensing. Physically speaking she commands The Force as well as any and she was able to sense Ventress but she wasn't really trying to hide from her. Master Yoda has commented several times about the Dark Side presence clouding clarity at this time so perhaps that is why Ahsoka may have had a problem in the cell bay. [face_thinking]

... in the end, I also believe it was right for Ahsoka to leave The Order with so much hanging in the balance and to hear Anakin admit he has had his own consideration of leaving The Order only excited the momentum of what we know comes to pass. Another fabulous season to enjoy getting on DVD when it comes out. I want a season 6 as well but I'm sure it would be the last. [face_nail_biting]

DieWompRatDie and nnaydolem like this.
  14. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I just read....there is not to be a season 6!!!! I am very sad about this news.

15. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Well, there won't be a traditional season of episodes on tv...Cartoon Network or Disney XD. The announcement is here: http://starwars.com/news/a-new-direction-for-lucasfilm-animation.html

It says "While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content."

I interpret that to mean that there will still be Clone Wars episodes made, perhaps with three episode-acrs released as one via iTunes or StarWars.com or direct-to-DVD format, it may not have the same impact. Time will tell.

What is true is that the show is winding down. It's had an amazing run with many memorable moments. I will truly miss the series and will still wholeheartedly recommend it to every Star Wars fan and consider them on the same canon and essential watching as the movies. I'm sad to see it go, but I'm glad we've had over 100 episodes of new Star Wars these past 5 seasons. May the get to finish the show the way the want to and may the characters finish their story arcs in a dramatic fashion.

Star Wars is Forever!

nnaydolem and Nagayoshi like this.
  16. Taeriel

Feb 9, 2003
    I think I read somewhere this morning that the "bonus material" would probably be released as web episodes? I'm not sure whether that was fact or speculation. I'm sad to see this show go. I didn't always keep up with it, and there were episodes and arcs that I couldn't force myself to finish, but overall I enjoyed it a lot.

Back to the finale discussion. Gra-co's comment reminded me of something I'd wondered at the time...

So, Anakin admits to Asoka that he's thought about leaving the order. Or at least that he understands the thought. She says that she knows. The way that she said this, her tone and expression, really made me wonder... just how much does she know? Could she have some knowledge or guess of his relationship with Padme, but was discrete enough to not even let Anakin know that she knew?

17. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I saw a little blurb online last night before going to bed about the end of the Clone Wars series, then proceeded to have a dream that Dave Filoni was a customer at my store. In the dream, I was asking him a lot of questions about the future of the program. While Dream Filoni assured me the un-aired episodes would be bonus content on a DVD, I felt at ease, then forgot about the dream and the potential announcement for the entire day, only to be reminded of it all on my way home. :p The most promising thing from the announcement/video is that there seems to be a lot more content still to come than just the Embo/Clovis episodes that got cut from season 5. I really wish the number of episodes to be released would have been included in todays announcement, but its true there are many storylines yet to to tie up: Ahsoka(more to say?), Order 66, Darth Maul, Hondo, Mortis(Anakin stories)? Who knows whats left?
    Also, did you notice that today was the first time in 6 months we have heard anything about Detours? Other than building up season 5, it now seems like CVI was a bunch of lies when it came to "The BIG announcement", the future of Clone Wars, Prequels in 3D, 1313, & Detours! I don't want to say we're heading for dark times as the future has never been brighter with the sequels and other projects looming, but man does today's announcement sting. Dark Horse - you're next!

18. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
  19. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    I AM SOO HAPPY ABOUT THIS!

20. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
  21. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Do they have rest of them, too?

22. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    YES! All five seasons will become available that day, and some will even be "director's cuts"!

nnaydolem likes this.
  23. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    So how will y'all be watching them? I think I'll be parsing them out with maybe an episode or two a day. I don't think I'll be binge watching them since I want to savor these tasty morsels of 13 episodes.

I like having cliffhangers and not knowing what happens next, so I may not watch a whole arc at a time so my brain has time to digest and hypothesize what may happen next.

Good times a comin'!

24. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Trying to marathon 120+ episodes by March 7th? That would be a bit nuts, but I am trying to revisit maybe 20-40 episodes to get me back in the Clone Wars mood. While I will be missing out on some great episodes, theres just not time to all arcs. I'm planning on catching some of the best parts of the series in chronological order with my kids, heres the progress so far:

- Episodes I & II (just watched the 15 minute versions from the Story of Star Wars promo DVD, not 4 1/2 hours of live action)
    - “Cat and Mouse” (S216) (leads into Clone Wars movie, technically 1st storywise)
    - “Hidden Enemy” (S116) (directly before CW movie, introduces Asaaj Ventress.. I like this episode, but it annoyed me that Ventress references meeting OB1 again, and the concept of a traitor clone seems like it is too early into the war for him to turn like this.)
    - Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 theatrical release) (while panned by most, it introduces the major player Ahsoka and role in the Anakin's story, also shows us the scope of the clone wars conflict)
    - “Clone Cadets” (S301) (introduces clone troopers featured in rookies)
    - “Supply Lines” (S303) (introduces the conflict on Ryloth, and contains enough Jar Jar hi-jinks to get me over skipping over most of his other work)
    skipping droid arc, premier, malevolence arc - most of season 1
    - “Rookies” (S105) (a personal favorite, highlight of season 1)
    - “Innocents of Ryloth” (S120) (skipped 1st part of story - space battle, recap at beginning was enough for me, continues with clone troopers stories)
    - “Liberty on Ryloth” (S121) (season 1 finale fits good here)

- “Jedi Crash” (S113) (gets back to Anakin/Ahsoka story)
    - “Defenders of Peace” (S114) (family favorite, lone episode to really show off Aayla Secura)

25. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Ok, I had to revise the plan a bit. There is way more I want to watch before season 6 comes out:
    - Episodes I & II (just watched the 15 minute versions from the Story of Star Wars promo DVD, not 4 1/2 hours of live action)
    2.16 - Cat and Mouse (leads into Clone Wars movie, technically 1st storywise)
    1.16 - Hidden Enemy (directly before CW movie, introduces Asaaj Ventress.. I like this episode, but it annoyed me that Ventress references meeting OB1 again, and the concept of a traitor clone seems like it is too early into the war for him to turn like this.)
    Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 theatrical release) (while panned by most, it introduces the major player Ahsoka and role in the Anakin's story, also shows us the scope of the clone wars conflict)
    3.01 - Clone Cadets (introduces clone troopers featured in rookies)
    3.03 - Supply Lines (introduces the conflict on Ryloth, and contains enough Jar Jar hi-jinks to get me over skipping over most of his other work)
    skipping premier, malevolence arc, droid arc, - most of season 1
    1.05 - Rookies (a personal favorite, highlight of season 1)
    1.20 - Innocents of Ryloth (skipped 1st part of story - space battle, recap at beginning was enough for me, continues with clone troopers stories)
    1.21 - Liberty on Ryloth (season 1 finale with clone story fits good here)
    1.13 - Jedi Crash (gets back to Anakin/Ahsoka story)
    1.14 - Defenders of Peace (family favorite, lone episode to really show off Aayla Secura)

skipping rest of season 1, skipping Bounty Hunters as the Seven Samurai tribute is cool, but not essential to the bigger stories

2.01 - Holocron Heist
    2.02 - Cargo of Doom
    2.03 - Children of the Force (good adventure arc introducing Cad Bane)
    2.04 - Senate Spy (my least favorite part of the arc as it seems TPM & AOTC villians are just kind of thrown in for no reason, but I figured I should revisit the Rush Clovis character, as he will be returning for a "bonus content" arc in the displaced season 5 episodes.)
    2.05 - Landing at Point Rain (One of my favorites, love the battles scenes on Geonosis, makes me want to fire up Battlefront II)
    2.06 - Weapons Factory
    2.07 - Legacy of Terror (zombies in Star Wars - eek!)
    2.08 - Brain Invaders

skipping Grievous Intrigue - never felt they used the character that well in Clone Wars, and I don't like seeing all his RotS moves and lines ahead of his film debut

skipping Lightsaber Lost (fun story, but don't really need to see Ahsoka and this one-off jedi right now)

2.10 - The Deserter (clone story)

skipping The Mandalore Plot
    2.13 Voyage of Temptation (establishes the history of Satine & Obi-Wan revisited in Season 5)
    skipping Duchess of Mandalore (kind of boring finish to the arc, and really makes Satine's character just seem like another Padme)
    skipping Sphere of Influence

skipping The Zillo Beast episodes, might watch them again when the new Godzilla movie comes out, also, the little hints at the end of the story never had a pay off in later seasons

skipping Death Trap
    2.21 - R2 Come Home (shows enough Boba Fett story, referenced in his later appearances)
    2.22 - Lethal Trackdown (see above)

3.02 - ARC Troopers (still remember getting pumped for this action packed episode from clips at CV)

skipping Corruption, The Academy (too much space snapple and the scooby doo gang - no payoff)
    skipping Assassin (Aurra Sing was not really used all that well, but thankfully Ventress was later on in the series)

skipping Evil Plans (don't want to watch Droids go shopping and to the spa)
    1.22 - Hostage Crisis
    3.09 - Hunt for Ziro (Quinlan Vos, Sy Snootles, and a whole gang of Hutts, finishes Ziro story)

3.10 - Heroes on Both Sides (kids like this one for Ahsoka/Lux story)
    skipping Pursuit of Peace, Senate Murders

3.12 - Nightsisters (great 3 parter with savage/ventress/action/dathomir stuff)
    3.13 - Monster
    3.14 - Witches of the Mist

3.15 - Overlords (Mortis arc - still a mystery, but it got Liam Neeson's Qui-Gonn into Clone Wars for the *season 6 spoiler* first time
    3.16 - Altar of Mortis
    3.17 - Ghosts of Mortis

skipping The Citadel arc & Padawan Lost
    3.22 - Wookiee Hunt (wookies, nuff said)

skipping most of the 1st half of season 4 - sharks, gungans, droids, etc
    skipping 1st half of Krell arc

4.09 - Plan of Dissent (good clone story)
    4.10 - Carnage of Krell (more)

skipping Slaves of the Republic arc, really enjoyed the adaptation of the comic story, but don't have time for the Temple Doom stuff right now

4.14 -A Friend in Need (return of Lux, Mandalorians)

4.15 - Deception
    4.16 - Friends and Enemies
    4.17 - The Box
    4.18 - Crisis on Naboo (Obi-Wan in disguise arc, fun stuff)

4.19 - Massacre
    4.20 - Bounty
    4.21 - Brothers
    4.22 - Revenge (watching these four cut together on the "Darth Maul Returns" dvd

skipping Onderon arc

skipping youngling arc (for now, kids like these)

5.01 - Revival
    5.14 - Eminence
    5.15 - Shades of Reason
    5.16 - The Lawless

5.12 - Missing in Action (skipping 3/4 of D-Squad arc, again for now, kids also like droids)

5.17 - Sabotage
    5.18 - The Jedi Who Knew Too Much
    5.19 - To Catch a Jedi
    5.20 - The Wrong Jedi

TCW movie (counting as 4 episodes)
    S1: 6 episodes
    S2: 11 episodes
    S3: 12 episodes
    S4: 11 episodes
    S5: 9 episodes
    = 53 episodes or around 20 hours