main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mystery Roach, Jan 11, 2014.

?

Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

1. Yes. Episode IX will conclude the story that began with TPM.

35.2%
  2. No. Episode XII will conclude the story that began with TPM.

9.9%
  3. No. The story that began with TPM will continue indefinitely.

28.4%
  4. No. The story that began with TPM ended with ROTJ, and Episode VII will begin a new story.

21.6%
  5. Other (Please Explain)

4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think they were saying:

The Star Wars Saga would be Episodes I-IX

Then there would be a Prologue/Prequel Saga with 9 episodes set in the distant past

Followed by an Epilogue/Sequel Saga that also had 9 episodes set in the distant future

27 films total

Darth Raiden and Immortiss like this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That was the basic idea. Give each saga equal weight to mirror the three trilogies of this saga. I suppose there's room for different numbers of episodes but I like the symmetry of nine each. I'm sure it's a bit of a gamble that people will want to spend that much time in each era, but if it worked it would be really cool. Calling the other two prequel and epilogue sagas does seem to diminish their importance in relation to the central saga, but on the other hand I could see this idea working as well. Basically though what I'd like to see is complete story arcs in those other eras to rival the central one regardless of how long they are. They would all be connected because each one would lead to the situation where the next begins (there would basically be long periods of peace between each one) and certain things would be set up in each one for the next, but they would still be separate enough entities to not be hinged on complimenting each other or the central saga in order to understand or enjoy them.

3. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    27 part saga? That sounds wrong in so many ways.

4. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

It wouldn't be one saga though. It would be three distinct sagas of nine films each. I guess it's kind of semantics at that point but each one would tell a full story on its own independent of the others, complete with its own set of episode numbers. There would be things that tied them together, but I would still draw a distinction between that and all of them being a single saga. The idea of prologue and epilogue trilogies does have merit as well though, and in that case it would very much be presented as a single saga. But then the problem with that is that then it would feel more natural for the beginning of the whole thing to be called Episode I, and it seems kind of pointless for each of the other two trilogies to have their own set of episode numbers, so at that point you'd pretty much have to leave them off of both the prologue and the epilogue. This would make each of them feel less connected to the main saga anyway so you might as well expand them into full sagas of their own in order to justify their existence and importance, which leads me back to where I began. Three sagas. Three sets of Episode numbers. Maybe 6-9 episodes each but no less, preferably nine for the sake of symmetry. A trilogy of trilogies of trilogies if you will. There's something fitting about that if they can pull it off.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The Three Sagas could then collectively be know as "The Journal of the Whills."

For example:

The 1st Saga: The Star Wars

The 2nd Saga: The Old Republic

The 3rd Saga: The New Republic

or if the need for chronological order is needed:

Journal of the Whills
    The 1st Saga: The Old Republic

The 2nd Saga: The Star Wars

The 3rd Saga: The New Republic

6. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    That sounds very, very time committing and copy-paste of this unique series we have now.
    Let's say we get another saga, three trilogies. Would they be self-sufficient trilogies connected in one arc like we have now or would that be a series of nine movies?
    After Episode 9 I think that the best direction would be exploring the history of the GFFA in a manner of trilogies. A trilogy of the foundation of the Jedi and the schism that created the Sith, a trilogy set hundreds/thousands years later when the Sith took the control over the Republic, trilogies about noble Jedi knights or ruthless Sith lords and so on.

Darth Raiden and Immortiss like this.
  7. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Lots of movies.

8. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    It should be the final film incarnation of the story of the Skywalkers and the Solos together.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  9. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I agree. This will be the last trilogy of the "Skywalker Saga" - thus there will be more trilogies and stories - just not involving the lineage started in Episode I.

Revious Nugo and Mystery Roach like this.
  10. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Why?

11. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    Because the stories are going to start to take a hit if you keep milking the same characters.....I already think they're pushing it with a 7-9.....IMO everything felt nice and wrapped up after ROTJ...and our heroes earned a hard fought victory......so this better be one dammed good story if your going to drag our heroes into peril again.

At some point they need to create something new that can flourish on its own.

12. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

But its not hte same characters. The main characters (even the Skywalkers) aren't hte main characters in Episode 7.

13. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    :confused:

Lord Megatron and Mystery Roach like this.
  14. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2014
    Let's look at the timeframe here. The ST plus two other nine episode sagas is 21 "episodes", which would take 63 years to release, assuming a three year production schedule (which they are on). That's a massive commitment, which quite frankly is really risky - even though its Star Wars.

15. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Because there are an infinite number of stories that can be told in the universe of Star Wars without having to keep with the lineage of the Skywalkers and Solos. There a probably millions of characters who are more interesting than these two families if they are just given a chance to be written.

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Star Wars universe isn't the be all end all of SF universes.

17. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Was Anakin the main character in OT? Its unlikely Mark Hamill is going to be playing Luke for another 6 movies. THey may be the same family, but the characters keep changing.

They've said 2 years between Episodes with a spin-off movie inbetween.

There is also an infinate number of stories that can be told with a Skywalker and/or Solo as the main character.

Its like suggesting Marvel should stop writting Spider-man stories because they have 3,000+ characters, give one them a chance.

18. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The Skywalkers are the main characters of Episode VII.

If the rumors are true, Luke is definitely the main character of Episode VII, if not the ST.

In addition, where did you get 6 movies from?

19. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

If the "saga" continues past the ST.

And there is nothing out there right now to indicate that Luke will be THE main character of Episode VII, never mind VIII and IX

And es the Skywalkers are the main characters of the movies, but are ANAKIN or LUKE the main character in all 6 existing movies?

20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

They are on a two year production schedule, not three. Even if Episode VIII isn't released until 2018 it will likely be earlier in the year which means 2 1/2 years and probably representing an attempt to get back to biannual May releases for the Saga episodes. So that would mean 2020 for Episode IX and another 36 years for the following 18 episodes, which is right on schedule with the projection of 40 more years.

T-R- likes this.
  21. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Except Lucas' old quotes regarding the ST.

Except Market Saw's report.

Except http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-rumors-who-is-669997

Except other reports floating around the internets.

Other than that, nothing. :cool:

Mystery Roach likes this.
  22. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Lucas's OLD quotes........

Larger roles doesn't = THE MAIN characters. Obi-wan had a large role in Star Wars, he wasn't the main character.

And still nothing to say Luke will ever be IN Episodes VIII, IX, X, XI etc....

23. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Since you haven't read any of these reports "Abrams, however, wanted Episode VII to focus on the classic trio of characters, ...... The new characters, the offspring, will now be in supporting roles"

Focus on OT3 while the new gen supports means main characters.

Add to that the report that Hamill would be needed for 6 months, the entire length of filming plus early report for training, shows you the main character.

Luke will be in VIII and IX per Lucas and these reports. Not in X, XI, etc. since there won't be Episodes beyond IX.

24. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Don't quote me on this, but I am almost sure they'll eventually make Episodes X, XI and XII. Lucas has been known to change his mind before and we have no reason to believe he won't change it again. If this new trilogy is a success, I do not think Disney will pass on the opportunity to make even more money.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    The bold part = completely agree

But why bother with EPX etc when they can release other Star Wars stories/new Star Wars sagas ad infinitum? (Which I think they've pretty much confirmed anyway)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.