main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Vol 2. #12: Wanted: Ania Solo, part 2 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

Corinna Bechko(W), Gabriel Hardman(W/A), Jordan Boyd(C), and Agustin Alessio(Cover)
    On sale Feb 26
    FC, 32 pages
    $2.99
    Ongoing
    A meeting with an old friend lands Ania Solo in handcuffs! Now that she’s a wanted criminal, even her pals Sauk and Imperial Knight Jao are wary of her. Held captive by one bounty hunter and pursued by another, Ania is one blaster shot away from a life sentence—or death!
    • Ania’s past is revealed . . . or is it?

A TIE bomber?

Gorefiend likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like it!

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey! Jao's not dead! Woo! And yeah, interesting to see a TIE in this time period.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Sounds like the supposed reveal of Ania's past is going to have a lot of twists and turns. Its funny, but its easy to forget that most of Ania's friends are still really new- since it sounds like she ended up in the Carreras system after the war during Volume 1, they don't really know quite that much. Well, except AG-37, its hard to tell how much he knows. I still have a hard time not thinking of AG as a bounty hunter with the IG-type body and all.

Nice cover, not sure if that's a TIE Bomber or something else. Could be a TIE from the front or back, or something else from the back. Not to mention its either shooting at Ania (which would seem odd for a TIE Bomber), Ania's shooting at it, or something else is trying to shoot Ania down and missing.

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Jao's.... alive?

[​IMG]

Might be getting the first trade next week!

6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    "Now that?" Ania being a wanted criminal won't exactly be news by the time we get to Issue 12. And hey, Jao's alive! Yeah!

... Does that mean that Yalta dies?

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Great cover. Looks like the next arc will really delve into who Ania Solo is, which I am 100% for. Cool seeing a classic TIE Bomber on the cover. Given how long designs are used in the GFFA, I like the idea of the TIE Bomber being a secondhand or repurposed vessel used by a bounty hunter.

And yippee for Sauk! All I need is Dac liberated from the pirates and the Mon Cals & Quarren to reclaim the system and it's shipyards and I will be a happy fan. :D

--Adm. Nick

8. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    The preview is up, and still loving this art, hope they keep this artist until the end of the series.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/22-244?page=0

Not much new stuff, but always nice to see Ania being feisty, even if it doesn't always end well for her. Also nice to see little details from the previous issue come up again, I always love kind of setup.

Jeff_Ferguson, spicer and Gorefiend like this.
  9. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Cool preview. I wonder what kind of long con Ania and Ramid have planned, and if Wredd is going to play into it somehow. Or if we're taking a break from him until the last three issues.

We'll be a year into the series when this comes out. Seems like it'll be a good time for a look back.

10. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I imagine that Wredd won't appear until the final arc. Shame they have to wrap everything up so quickly, as the series really found it's stride in the last arc.

--Adm. Nick

11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I actually think this new artist is a bit too...I guess 'cartoony' for my taste, especially in comparison with the earlier art. But it's still decent.

I also echo the sadness at this ending so quickly. It's surprising to me how the first few issues really underwhelmed me but it quickly rose to become my favorite of the 2013-14 Dark Horse endgame run. Especially given that it's written by newcomers to the franchise, and is almost totally devoid of non-Legacy EU references. I know it's a debated topic here on making the EU too incestuous, but I generally feel like (especially at this stage in the development of the EU) that when a work comes along and basically just has a lot of completely new stuff, it feels to me like it's artificially separated from the rest of the mythos, that it could be any sort of space opera work. That's one of my big complaints about the Empire and Rebellion books so far, it may use the characters and ships from the OT but the lack of references to the background setting of the GFFA doesn't really make it feel like a Star Wars work to me.

Legacy Volume II however, I don't really have that problem. I'm not even really sure why, maybe it's because it's on the 'cutting edge' of the EU chronologically so it's more acceptable for me to be paving the way forward, maybe it's because it is rooted in Legacy Vol. I even if it doesn't have a lot of other references, but either way I do think that the authors really 'get' the Star Wars setting in a way other newcomers haven't always. I think the only other newcomer who seemed to really grasp it and fit in to this level right away was Walter Jon Williams.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    GREAT issue. Like, I am genuinely pissed now that this series will be ending and want to write a letter to Marvel to continue it. Some details below, as well as some vague little hints:

1. As expected, Stazi's bold decision to liberate Dac made waves... GOOD waves. The galaxy widely applauded the action and are flocking to the Triumvirate's banners. As Stazi says to Val, the galaxy respected the Triumvirate's show of strength. Suddenly, they don't appear to be a weak collection of remnants. Bravissimo, Stazi!

2. Stazi also states, in his wry sense of humor, that he thinks Marasiah wishes that she had gone along with the decision as well!

3. The Imperial Knights are now ordered to track down war criminals... including Sith. A good decision to be sure, but Marasiah has other motives...

4. Nice scence between Val and Draco. We learn that as a result of the newfound respect in the galaxy for the Triumvirate that the IK's are going to be active. Great news, but... WHERE THE HELL ARE THE JEDI AND WHAT ARE THEY DOING?

5. There is a lot of "A-plot" stuff with Ania, but I don't want to spoil that. Let's just say we learn a bit more about her past, we learn that AG made a promise to an OLD Solo, and that this other bounty hunter is out for blood! ;)

--Adm. Nick

tjace and Revanfan1 like this.
  13. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Great issue! Shame that this series ends soon, this has so much potential :(

Nice tease about Ania's past and meeting with AG. I can't wait for more to be revealed about them, especially AG. Does anyone have an idea if AG has any connections with Han? I haven't read much material between ROTJ and Legacy volume 1 so maybe you guys have an idea about the droid. Only complaint that I (still) have is that we don't see K'Kruhk and the Jedi. Then again I'm not sure if we will considering we're only what, 5-6 issues away from the end?

14. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    And this is why I went back and picked up all the trades of the previous series of this!

Currently have up to volume 7 actually picked up the comics but got put off by all the Jedi and Cade incapable of falling to the darkside which got old too soon...

Heard about this series and along with the new original Star Wars series until they pulled
    that Birchner rubbish
    this series has only been getting better to me its been far too long since the lead wasn't either one of the original trio or a Jedi... she is far from perfect but miles better than her distant cousin the former Pirate!

I really hope they don't get rid of this series it may well be a vain hope but if nothing else I hope Marvel notices this diamond in the rough...

There I go with Aladdinisms!:)

15. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, another great issue. Too bad they're continuing to tease about Ania's past, but we'll get answers eventually. Its also nice to see how much each character trusts her. Sauk is still very loyal, as Ania helped him in the past, and yeah, AG has been around for a very long time. At one point Sauk is looking through AG's memory (with permission) and he went back too far and a hologram of Han and Chewbacca showed up, so yay, awesome cameo.

Jao is a bit more suspicious, and Yalta Val asks what is going on- they don't bother with Dac originally, yet they're going to a lot of trouble trying to bring Ania in. At first quietly, now not so quietly. And a TIE Bomber does show up. Even worse, turns out that while Ramid, the old boyfriend, is at least trying to bring her in alive, others don't care as much, so yeah. Ah, so sad this series only has another few issues to go, its been a great, short ride.

16. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Huh, I really thought that Ania and Ramid were pulling some kind of con together. Turns out he really did kidnap her for the bounty. This was a good issue, although I feel like it could have included more meat. There were a few multi-page action sequences and full- or half-page panels of exterior ship shots, each of which kind of annoyed me. Two issues into this arc and it feels like not much has really happened --- the giant panels and the seven-page battle with the TIE bomber make it seem like they're drawing everything out for the sake of only revealing little snippets of Ania's past in each issue. I'm not crazy about action overshadowing plot this much, especially when there isn't really any suspense to the action. Ramid's Twi'lek and Klatooinian crewmembers are dead, but so what? We didn't care about them.

I'm sure it'll read fine as a trade, but something that made series like the original Legacy and KOTOR so great was that care was always put into making each issue feel like a story in itself. You never got the "Nothing happened but I'm sure it'll be fine in the trade" feeling. And with only six issues left here, it's definitely time for the authors to put some pep into their step. Not as much as the overly-rushed Force War, but a bit of a faster pace, at least plot-development-wise, feels like it's definitely in order.

Then again, I'm probably over-reacting. There was some tasty meat to this sandwich. The scene with Draco and Yalta was good, as was the surprise Han and Chewie cameo. Sauk vouching for Ania was a great character moment for both of them, and AG stole the show. "She is a Solo. I made a promise to a Solo once. That's really all there is to know." Also, a planet that rains glass? That's... actually a really cool hazard for the characters to face. I can definitely see it coming into play next issue.

This issue's biggest crime, though, was the omission of the real star of the show --- the comm droid. Hardman's usually really good about including him in the background of panels, which leads me to suspect that there's a reason for his absence... ie, he stowed away aboard Ramid's ship. We shall see!

17. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    AG so has to be C3PO. :p Also this series seems to love extreme planets, which I like since most series seem to only go to nice, hospitable places, which realistically there should not be all that many off.

AusStig and Todd the Jedi like this.
  18. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I like the insight into Anias' past. Really interesting, AG is C3PO (most likely, seems pointless to make him anyone else now) that Ania may have been, not a nice person before the series.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: There are not enough eye rolls in the internet for Stazi. I swear that man could fart in someone's face and they would say how nice it smelt. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Of course everything he does is popular :rolleyes:, while I won't drop this because of him (Ania and her crew are interesting enough to keep me reading) I do skim while eyeroling every page Marty Stue is on.

I wonder who 'lightwhip woman' is? Jedi? She does like the reto look, what with a tie-bomber and all.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Stazi is definitely not a Gary Stu. Ostrander wrote him as an incredibly flawed and brash character who often hastily put principles before logic or tactics, and whose actions usually had dire consequences. Hardman and Bechko's Stazi has really only done one thing so far, and it's way too early to deem him a Gary Stu just because what he did was popular with the galactic community. In a post-Krayt galaxy, it makes sense that the community's looking for leadership that's proactive about potential resurgent Sith threats. This is Stazi's time to shine.

haha what? Pretty sure Gorefiend was joking on that one. I've heard some ridiculous theories before but...

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  20. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    You mean Dac? The first time, cause that was the first and last thing he did that had a negative effect on 'him' (which is debate able since no one really calls him out on it) He fired on his allies: That's fine. He tries to stab an ambassador: Fine again. He undermines the authority of the Galactic government: He doesn't even get reprimanded, no is like, you did the right thing the wrong way so we will both punish and reward you, like say giving him his own fleet to go around fighting the Sith (while taking him away from government. And Legacy wasn't his time to shine? The guy never lost a battle (the closet he got was in a flashback where he wasn't in charge), everyone liked him (even Cade). The guy never stopped shining. (Seriously people call Ahoska a sue, and they don't seem that different; both do dumb things and people are fine with them doing it)

Do you really not see the hints? Recording of Han and Chewi, "a promise to a solo". While it could be a red herring and he his just some droid, it really wouldn't carry any kick.

21. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    When Stazi tried to stab Bovark, it got him kicked off The Wheel and left the Galactic Alliance without allies and resources, which forced Stazi to take the huge gamble at Dac. When the huge gamble at Dac paid off, it got genocide declared on an entire species. When he evacuated Dac, his questionable morals led to him labeling another entire species as Sith collaborators and declaring that only a small amount of them would survive a mass holocaust. Stazi was one of the series' heroes, for sure, but to imply that he was presented as a perfect paragon of justice and rightness who always made the right decision and who didn't have any flaws is just plain ignorance. All of Legacy's heroes were flawed, which was one of the ingredients that made them so interesting. The "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu" monikers get thrown around pretty casually around here, but it's important to remember that their definitions aren't "characters whom I don't like."

If you have a problem with his most recent actions at Dac going unpunished, that's another argument entirely. I expected there to be a fallout from them too, but I can buy the explanation as to why there wasn't. A Triumvirate whose citizens expect it to take proactive military action against potential Sith terrorists took proactive military action against potential Sith terrorists. After Krayt and the war, it's what the people would want. If you don't like the fact that Sia didn't get pissed off about it, sure, fine, but a Gary Stu he ain't.

Sorry, man, but I'm not even going to bother with this one. [face_peace] Cheers.

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  22. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Stazi didn't get kicked off the wheel, the Empire did, no mention of that happening to Stazi. The gamble did pay off, that's my point. No Mon Cal held a grudge, not even the one who shot him (I was really disappointed in that). The Quarren's deaths don't get looked at as a bad thing, no one is like "How is that different from the Sith?" even when they shoot to kill the refugees. He is flawed, but no one treats him like that (other then the "evil" admrials (Both the Sithpire and Imperial one), that's why I call him a sue. The text shows he is flawed, but then treats him (and has the other characters treat him) as if he isn't.

OK,

Can I just say I love the idea of 'Raining Glass'.

23. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Yeah, aside from the neat AG backstory hints, the best part of this issue was watching Sia's machinations unfold. At first glance, I totally bought the stated reason for going after the war criminals, because it makes sense in the aftermath of the events on Dac last arc. It's really something when a character fools not only other people in-universe, but also the reader (especially when the reader expects it!). She's absolutely devious.

I can't wait to see how the bounty hunter fight turns out next issue. Still hoping she turns out to be Azlyn.

24. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Why would AG be Threepio? What would the point be of having a character show up if the character looks completely different, talks completely different, and acts completely different, with a completely different personality? There's no point. It's only harmful to the character.

There's a slim chance AG is, like, a grown-up Blue Max or something. But odds are he's just a droid who has a backstory that's original to the series and not some existing creation.

Gorefiend and Sinrebirth like this.
  25. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Well put, Jeff. I couldn't agree more.

Though, having argued with Austig about Stazi numerous times before, I can tell you that it is pointless to offer him reasoned arguments, as he simply has an axe to grind with apparently Stazi, John Ostrander, the new Legacy creative team, his legions of fans, and just about anyone else who doesn't subscribe to his views. ;)

But hey, for some folks that is a hobby. :p

I hope we learn a bit more about Stazi's "recommendations for Dac's immediate future". I can only hope that the new Triumvirate will now focus credits towards the rehabilitation of Dac and the restoration of the shipyard ring. Now that the shipyards are partially inhabited by Mon Cals, Quarren, and Whaladons, there is a reason for the Galactic Federation maintain order in the sector. Given Stazi's preference to also build up the new government's naval forces, I can only assume that part of his recommendation was to order a shipbuilding program there.

It is really one of those win-win situation. The Mon Cals & Quarren get credits from the sales to rebuild the shipyards and potentially repair Dac (or at least use the credits to build new orbital habitats). The Galactic Federation Triumvirate in turn gets new warships, which bolster their ability to defend their territories and show the galaxy that they are not just some weak assembly of remnant governments, but a true galactic government capable of protecting it's citizens.

If only the series would be continued by Marvel! [face_praying]

--Adm. Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.