main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Who should steal the Death Star plans?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by purplerain, Feb 14, 2014.

1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    The EU has several different stories of how the Death Star plans were stolen. How should Rebels handle this?

2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm hoping it won't, less because of continuity concerns than because of how much this particular plot ground has been retrod. The intent seems to be for the show to end around the founding of the Rebel Alliance, which would mean the theft of the plans should take place after it (though that won't necessarily be the case).

3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
  4. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    The loveable Jedi in hiding; Petro, Gungi, Katooni, Zatt, Ganodi and Byph.

Zabrak 3 likes this.
  5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I played Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, Jedi Outcast, and Jedi Academy, but never played the original Dark Forces, which I thought had Kyle Katarn as part of the group to steal the plans, though again I've not played the game, only heard about it, so I could be mistaken(?)

I don't know what the situation was for that game in how the mission is handled or how they go about acquiring the plans, but if it's something that could easily enough be adapted into a more succinct 22 minute episode, then that would be fine IMO.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

As someone who doesn't care about the EU (and honestly, from time to time I forget it even exists), who stole the plans is actually something I never even thought of. So to me, and presumably most of the audience watching this show (a cartoon is obviously going to draw in a large child audience who may have never even seen the films yet) it won't feel like retreading old ground at all.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Gungi, just Gungi bear.

8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Maybe he will team up with WAC and Gason.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ABS. Anybody But Snips.

Seriously...I don't know who stole them in the EU but I'm hoping if this plot point is addressed, it's someone new and someone we wouldn't expect.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've also never seen any of the material that deals with this plot point so I wouldn't mind it a bit if Rebels gives the definitive explanation for it. It could be a cool final mission for the Ghost in the series finale and the most dangerous one they've ever attempted. Something like that would be interesting to me.

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    This would be the best way to handle it if they're going to actually do it, because I doubt that Kyle Katarn will appear in the show. So, that means the responsibility would fall to the crew of the Ghost and that's probably the only way that would satisfy me, because otherwise they'd probably have Ahsoka or Gascon or Jar-Jar or somebody do it, and then I'd just groan and headdesk.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    My favorite Pablo quote- "…if you had to throw a dinner party and invite everyone who had ever stolen the Death Star plans, you'd be surprised at how many place settings you'd have to worry about."

They've been stolen no less than three times in the EU. I'm not so sure Rebels will advance that far in the timeline, but if it does I can see a crew-member of the Ghost being responsible for the theft, depending on what direction they go in by that time in the show.

I'll say this- if they somehow incorporate all the convoluted tales of the theft into the show and make it work, I'll be one happy fanboy. Though part of me dreads what a Filoni-created Kyle Katarn would be like. [face_nail_biting]

13. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Which is exactly why Rebels should establish who actually stole the Death Star plans. It would clean up a huge mess.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It would make the characters in Rebels extremely important to the story and the rebellion in particular and they should be important since they have an entire series dedicated to them. It'd be nice to have their actions matter to the universe and not just be some fun filler. I'd like to see characters who aren't Luke, Han or Leia have a major impact on the rebellion and it would also serve as a nice lead in to Ep. IV.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I wish it would be Kyle Katarn, but knowing they're getting rid of all the past EU, I'm sure there's some way we can head-retcon Kyle to be included somehow. :p

16. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Somebody on the Ghost is really Kyle! :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I don't know who, exactly... just that it has to be a Hoojib.

18. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I seriously hope they don't touch this already harshly-trodden path. The fact that there's a Jedi amongst them that apparently managed to survive Order 66 and the Purge for so long is iffy at best.

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Kyle Katarn

[​IMG]

Yes, stealing the Death Star plans is the very first level of the original Dark Forces. If you like the other games I can't recommend it highly enough. (I played them in the order I got them, which was Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight (never beat it, can't seem to stick with PC games, need console), Dark Forces, and last Jedi Academy.)

spicer, Revanfan1, TKT and 1 other person like this.
  20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Carmen San Diego.

Simple.

"They" steal the plans in Rebels. The episode ends with "their" escape with the plans in hand.

Kyle steals the plans from "them" immediately after, just off screen, and gets paid.

Or, if Rebels shows the plans being handed over to Leia or whoever, Kyle just shows up and demands to be paid for allowing them to have the plans, or he'll kill everyone and the Empire will pay him for getting the plans back.

Kyle always gets paid.

21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Ahsoka, of course.

Zabrak 3 and TaradosGon like this.
  22. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Can't say I'm all that interested in the Death Star plans story again. Kind of hoping Rebels doesn't go there at all.

JackG, Dark Lord Tarkas and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I figure the Death Star will be touched upon in some way.

Though I was watching ANH again, and one of the things that stood out to me was that Tagge didn't seem like he understood what the purpose of the Death Star was.

I mean, he's surprised when the Senate gets disbanded and believes Palpatine cannot maintain control without them. Then Tarkin tells him that fear of the Death Star would maintain order.

I just don't know what Tagge thought the Empire was going to do with the Death Star - which has enough power to destroy a planet - if not blow planets up.

Kind of makes me think that either Tagge is an idiot (though he actually seems like the voice of reason in that meeting), or that the Death Star was not as secret as I thought and that maybe people knew this big station was being constructed, but didn't know what it was going to be used for. The idea of having the Death Star while retaining the senate seemed compatible in Tagge's mind. While Tarkin makes it clear that the Death Star renders the Senate irrelevant. Tagge didn't seem to expect the Death Star to be turned against Imperial citizens.

24. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    In the ANH novelization, Tagge says (before Tarkin enters the room), "I think the construction of this station has more to do with Governor Tarkin's bid for personal power and recognition than with any justifiable military strategy." Does that help?

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  25. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Not when Tarkin neither came up with the plans, per AOTC. Nor when Palpatine is personally overseeing its construction in ROTS. That seems like outdated information.