main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Those two injuries are nothing vs Sion's countless deaths. The guy literally pulls himself back together with the force after being 'killed' in battle countless times for 40+ years. He literally pulls a Lasarus right after being killed again and again... he doesn't require greater skill to win in a duel, he can actually just Lasarus style rope-a-dope them till they tire and there is an opening to stab them with. The guy flat out is a Sith Zombie meets Berserker meets tracker, so he's a hunter not a skeemer... his only cares about killing Jedi and his master (Darth Revan's former master btw).

Here is the quote on his injuries from wookieepedia
    He literally is the opposite of Plagueis in many respects, he could only save himself from death since but not others, his power was purely instictual and not gained through wisdom of any sort. Ironic that after all that he died by pulling a Padme... just losing the will to live. [face_tee_hee]

2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Fantasy is used here like it is one homogeneous thing and does not consist of various different tropes and elements of which some are better suited for SW than others. Just because say, you're opposed to time travel, doesn't mean you are opposed to all the fantasy elements.

I would like to see some clever new force techniques, for instance. Force projections or force healing for instance. The force use being influenced by the surrounding. Jedi who can survive without eating or drinking for a while. The force being used to share memories.

There are so many possibilities besides those few that were mentioned 1000 times on this forum it almost makes my head explode.

3. cronedoggy

cronedoggy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but it doesn't actually need to be established if it's the same, only if it's different. Like, we know that Spock has green blood and a different organ configuration because the writers tell us so. It's the responsibility of the writer to tell the audience these things if it's relevant. Maul being able to survive being cut in half due to a different anatomical configuration is something that needs to be established beforehand or it's a deus ex machina cheat. The same with force abilities. etc. That's all just basic writing stuff. Regardless, it's cool if you find it plausible. Everyone has different standards for what they consider plausible storytelling, so we can't all agree all the time. :)

StoneRiver and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh, no... he's an alien. Not just a guy with tattoos and horns glued to his head cause he wants to impress some one Sidious. Its our job as an audience in Sci-fi/Fantasy to accept that just cause the actor has body paint and horns glued to his head that he's not really human but anatomically different than us, since currently we're limited to human actor, muppets, or cgi lifeforms... the later two are limited. The very fact that he has actual horns growing out of his head is all they need to inform us he could be even more anatomically different than us since he's visually different, so its not a deus ex machina cheat (for anatomical reasons anyhow). In other words, they already informed us he was anatomically different.

What you're asking for is telling us he's different with throwaway lines, which usually just ruin the surprise that it will matter in a moment. Best just to show he's different, no need to inform us Bith have only one lung then have them get shot in that lung and get thrown into a bacta tank for weeks as a result. Why cause its not a natural conversation to have before said injury. Best just to have an ignorant human companion needing a medical explanation from the medical droid (besides 'she lost the will to live' :p ) because their is countless species in Star Wars and I don't want to watch a documentry, I want to live in the present where the story telling belongs and find out naturally how the species differ beyond visually once it matters, if I get the info before hand it will only spoil what is to come since I'll be ready for it rather than just simply experiancing the story. This is Star Wars not Star Trek, I don't want detailed theories of why almost every species is humaniod and talk of green blood. Put another way: Show, don't tell. Star Wars is an adventure that involves magc, not a logic debate and doctors was main characters telling us every minor difference betweeen pointy eared humaniod and the humanoid with ridges on his skull. Id much rather have two shocked humans hearing from the medical droid Bith have one lung after he's in the hospital and therefore he's critically injured remembering once again that their friend is different, than knowing before hand he has only one lung and just waiting for that to play into the plot sometime in the next two hours.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Never even thought about who would be voicing him, but yeah Brent Spiner is damn awesome on many levels. Would be great to see him as the Inquisitor.

7. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Oh. My. Lawd.

Are you honestly trying to attach real physiology to the science fiction/fantasy that is Star Wars? Can you imagine how lame Star Wars would be if we started picking it apart with real science? Not to mention that you are assuming that George Lucas, Dave Filoni and crew had not even considered how Maul survived.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah, I was just responding to Ryus about how much damage that injury would cause. Again, if I wanted realism I wouldn't like Star Wars at all. I just don't want an "anything goes, nothing is too ridiculous" philosophy. Fantasy doesn't mean no rules at all. Every fantasy story I can think of has Do's and Dont's. :)

TheBBP likes this.
  10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I feel ya there.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    This is one of those moments where I think it's important to step back and recognize that we're talking about movies that have sound in space. Best not to take the science too seriously in this universe.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yep. Agreed. That's why I mentioned that very thing in an earlier post.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    And yet all those posts between there and here... [face_dunno];):p

14. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I forgot about that post, but it does seem somewhat at odds with the arguments you've been making. I guess everyone draws their own lines differently.

InterestingLurker and Ryus like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    People who apply anatomy to SW are funny individuals.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
  17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    We attach real physiology to fantasy movies all the time. If the villain is beheaded for instance we expect him to die which he usually promptly does - just like in real life.

18. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Pardon me if this has been discussed, but re: injuries, when lightsabers cut through flesh, wasn't it said that they basically block off any of the veins and whatnot that would bleed?

Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok, I'll try and be as clear as I can. I'm not arguing for accurate science, I'm arguing against fantasy taken to extremes. The diagram I posted was to answer something Ryus said about the severity of the injury.
    Thanks, I'll be here all week. :)

Immortiss likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well we don't necessarily know where Maul's internal organs are. His brain could be in his foot for all we know.

Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I already answered that in an earlier post.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Never forget Ponda Baba!

[​IMG]

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That arm probably contained his brain.

24. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Ahh, yes, you are correct. I could've sworn I read that somewhere though.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It contained his artistic talent.

Ryus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.