main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mystery Roach, Jan 11, 2014.

?

Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

1. Yes. Episode IX will conclude the story that began with TPM.

35.2%
  2. No. Episode XII will conclude the story that began with TPM.

9.9%
  3. No. The story that began with TPM will continue indefinitely.

28.4%
  4. No. The story that began with TPM ended with ROTJ, and Episode VII will begin a new story.

21.6%
  5. Other (Please Explain)

4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2014
    Branding. Episode X would get way more news that Star Wars: Obi-Wan or whatever other spinoffs they do.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

[face_thinking] You may be onto something there. But you got me thinking. Let's say the ST has happened and it's a resounding success. Now, I'm not involved in marketing at all, but out of the following which would you say is easiest to market/brand, and by extension, would get more news?

1) A spin off film
    2) Episode X
    3) Part 1 of a new saga

That's an open question to anyone and not aimed specifically Lord Megatron

My own personal belief would be the spin off would be the least marketable (mainly aimed at fans and casual SW viewers), followed by episode X (mainly aimed at fans and casual SW viewers). The big news would be a brand new saga IMO (aimed at fans and casual viewers and a whole new generation).

3. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    A new saga offers them a blank canvas and fresh start, while still using the Star Wars name for marketing. The best of both worlds.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I've been thinking about this question a bit, and I think it really comes down to how well the spinoffs do at the box office. If the spinoffs do about as well as the Episodes, then Disney will be confident in Star Wars success beyond the Skywalker Saga. If they don't do nearly as much business as the Episodes, then Disney will probably try to keep the Episodes going.

StoneRiver and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. The Shrike

The Shrike Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The Star Wars saga will continue indefinitely, with Luke and Leia's children at the centre of it for the foreseeable future.

Disney didn't pay Lucas $4 billion just for three sequels, and a few side projects. They envision Star Wars as a steady source of income for decades to come.

Lurknomore and Oberst Hans Landa like this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Exactly! Disney doesn't have to decide now. They can just keep the ball rolling until it becomes clear whether or not the Episodes or the spinoffs create more money.

And I don't think the Episodes will be profitable forever.

7. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Ep. 9 will be the end of this Saga, but Star Wars will be played out worse than any other franchise because of the size of it. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney announce Yoda fell asleep instead of dying and base an entire new saga during his the rest of his life.

8. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
  9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Interestingly enough, Lucas had 1977 notes that read like this:

Episode I: Prelude
    ***The Darth Plagueis novel fits nicely as a Prelude
    -
    Episode II - The Phantom Menace
    Episode III - Attack of the Clones
    Episode IV - Revenge of the Sith
    ***Lucas called this "The Clone War Trilogy"
    -
    Episode V - Epilogue/Prologue
    -
    Episode VI - A New Hope
    Episode VII - The Empire Strikes Back
    Episode VII - Return of the Jedi
    ***The Star Wars Trilogy
    -
    Episode VIII - Epilogue/Prologue
    -
    Episode IX -
    Episode X -
    Episode XI -

Episode XII - Epilogue

10. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    For the money Disney spent on this franchise, they will make sure to get their money back on this.

I see them going to at least Episode XII, as well as the spin-off films, Han Solo, Yoda, Etc.

They can always continue to make more films.

Lurknomore likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

They will earn more than $4 billion on the franchise by 2017. Disney just has to be careful that they dont dilute the Star Wars Universe.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the saga is the saga. 1 - 6. this is the beginning of a new one.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  13. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Continueing the story that began in TPM indefinitely results in a huge likeleyhood of everything that's ever happened getting undermined. For example, who cares about ROTJ if the Empire could take over the galaxy again in episode 25?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    the empire isn't as dangerous as the sith was. with sidious and vader gone the most powerful sith are no more. so rotj will always be important.

15. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    Not gonna lie, ever since I first heard Lucas had at one point thought about having twelve episodes to tell the saga, I've always been a Stan for the idea.

16. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    but if the story that began in TPM is continued indefinitely, how do you know that they won't introduce sith who are even more powerful than those two?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    they won't. anakin was the chosen one and sidious was the most effective sith ever.

18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I think Episode IX will end something. If we're talking about the story that started in Episode I... they mentioned the need to "unravel the mystery of the Sith." Six movies later, we still don't even know much about the question, let alone the answers.

A saga needs an ending, and I think we'll get that. But I also think Disney is making plans for Star Wars that go beyond a single, never-ending main line of movies. There will be a nine-movie arc that makes sense... if you squint at it. But Disney will branch off. After what they paid, they deserve to control the full scope of a Star Wars story, not just execute Lucas' plan.

Immortiss likes this.
  19. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    What don't we know? We know that the mystery is the identities of Maul and his master and we know the answers to both of those questions.

20. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

I think the "mystery of the Sith" is much deeper and darker than the identities of the two Sith alive at any one particular time. It's a mystery whose questions are hardly even posed to movie-watchers.

Is it typical that two of the Sith we see were fallen Jedi, or is this a historical accident? Are the Sith a failed-Jedi club that is parasitic in nature, or an independent group with some sort of equal standing?

The rise of the Republic and the extinction of the Sith are both said to be 1,000 years ago. Is this just a rhetorical way of saying "a really long time," or did something of great importance happen around 1,020 BBY? Was this the time when the Sith ruled the galaxy, or was Sidious referring to an even older, more mythological era?

What's the difference between a Sith and a plain old non-Darth dark side user? Is it just a name?

Is the dark side a natural, eternal part of the Force, or a flaw that can be repaired? The Mortis arc made it seem like the dark side can get stronger or weaker in a cosmic sense.

Do the Sith just want power for power's sake, or do they have more religious goals?

Why is there a rule of two?

Why do the Sith want revenge?

I know the EU has attempted explanations for most of this, but it looks like that's now getting exiled to the Land of This-Never-Happened. We're all now in the same boat as people who only watch the movies. I don't think of the mystery of the Sith as being limited to "Who are they?"

21. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The Sith seem so much more mysterious and interesting without the EU.

Revious Nugo and Mystery Roach like this.
  22. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014

Minus the EU, the Sith are a mile-wide gap in our understanding of why anything that happens in Star Wars, happens. You can piece together the idea that they used to rule the galaxy; were opposed by the Jedi; almost went extinct; and wanted revenge. But there's a lot of wiggle room in all the statements about them They're made years apart, by Sith and non-Sith, and any of them could just be "points of view". Anything we think we know could get revealed as the next "Jedi fought against clones in the Clone Wars" fanon.

The high level of mystical/magical content in the Clone Wars makes me wonder if the sequel trilogy is headed for a very weird place with all this.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    The Saga ended with the death of Anakin Skywalker. That´s it. This is a new story, a new beginning. In fact, I´m srurprised anyone thinks this ST is the end of the saga. It could have meant that if Lucasfilm was still George´s baby and he hadn´t already retired. But Disney didn´t bought Lucasfilm to conclude the saga, but to expand it.

I expect the ST to feature the classic actor for the sake of continuity. But I do expect the new movies to feature a new generation. Probably a new Skywalker. And if 2020 the ST has been a huge success, and the new characters are good enough, I would expect Episodes X, XI and XII to keep the generation that debuted with the ST and their offspring.

And so on. If the plot is good, why wouldn´t they continue the story of Anakin Skywalker, the chosen one? The story of a boy that started a lineage of heroes that saved the galaxy when they were needed.

CarboniteSolo and thejeditraitor like this.
  24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    yes. there are always new young people and young people are the ones who consume entertainment like this the most.
    therefore new young characters for a new audience. frankly us old fogeys are lucky there are any returning characters.

25. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I agree Darth_Bertie, and I think they will keep going even further and bring back the stars of this Sequel Trilogy 20 years down the road and continue the saga, like they did after Return of the Jedi.

Anything is possible really, if everyone likes Episode VII, then they make VIII and IX, and it's a good trilogy overall, I see them doing 3 more, maybe after a little break in between IX and X.

rdhight likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.