main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    You work at a zoo and their method of putting down escaped animals is with a shotgun? That's a little disturbing.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think the general consensus is "not likely." But I personally could see something going direct to Netflix later or if it's tame enough, to ABC.

So I'm in the market for new running shoes. I wonder how well these would work.

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Yeah that's kinda what I figured.

Oh well, if there's any actual news on that front, I'm sure it'll be up on Wookieepedia's main page.

4. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    Ahhh!!! all of these threads filling up with spoiler tags....I don't know how much longer I can hold out!!

5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I was more disturbed that in the situation that someone falls into an animal pen, like a kid falls in with the lions (can't actually happen in our zoo, they would have to climb a very tall barrier), that if the animal doesn't show signs of aggression, they would tranquilize the cat. Mind you this all takes time. It's not like tranquilizers are handy. If a kid falls in, he might be waiting there, traumatized, with nothing separating him from two large cats that could kill him in seconds, while staff runs to where the tranquilizers are stored, get to the exhibit, shoot the cat, and then wait for it to take effect, which could easily take 10-15 minutes. Leaving some kid at the animal's mercy while the zoo takes its time to do whatever possible to refrain from killing the animal.

That seems more disturbing to me than getting that kid out ASAP.

As for escaped animals, they could easily get out of the zoo once out of their enclosures (and have, though none that posed any danger to humans - usually birds). In the event that a lion or tiger gets out, the shotgun is not something that is used unless it HAS to be. As a city zoo, the police monitor radio traffic, and if it were ever reported that something dangerous got out, the police would automatically respond to the alert, the staff would try to get all guests either out of the zoo or into buildings, and shooting the animal would be a last resort. Darting the animal with a tranquilizer would always be the first resort, so long as the animal doesn't appear to pose any immediate danger to guests.

The only two animals I've known to get out of the zoo entirely were a flamingo and an African ground hornbill. Though it's more common for animals to get out of enclosures but not out of the zoo. Though fortunately this was never really an issue when the zoo was opened, and is more an issue in the winter when we're closed and move animals to and from exhibits. And nothing dangerous has gotten out, the utmost care and redundant security measures are taken with something like a lion over something like a flamingo (we keep their wings trimmed so they can't fly, but sometimes they grow back enough to generate enough lift to hop the fence).

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Either I saw a satellite or a shooting star in my telescope tonight. it bisected the Orion Nebula when I was looking at it. I guess it was pretty cool to see this random light flash out of the Nebula. It freaked me out enough I about ducked like I was getting shot at.

7. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

Could it have been the russian satellite thats supposed to fall into the Indian Ocean tonight?

EDIT: Does anyone else feel like over the past few days, the LACWAC forum has exploded? Maybe its just because I've forgotten what it was like back when episodes were airing, but I'm feeling very bombarded by the same questions/statements in threads all over the place from people who haven't read the answer/explanation 5 posts before theirs...You can't blame many of them since its becoming hard to keep up right now, but some of them....jeesh - where have you been??

Between this and the inevitable spoiler slip, I'm feeling more and more of a desire to stay away from the boards for a while, but with my lack of self-control, I know it won't happen. Its just a little frustrating, no? Anyone agree? Show of hands?

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  8. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I've been so busy with work lately that I've only been keeping up with the Disco and Rebels threads. I guess that limits the chances of a Bonus Content spoiler slip. :p

9. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I have so little self control that (when I missed the first broadcast of the first Lost Episodes arc by roughly two hours) I read the spoilers first, then watched the episodes via anytime stream. No wonder I cannot resist the fridge at night. I couldn't have stayed away from the boards. It just was not an option.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Don't you love it when your pre-ordered blu-ray or DVD turns up before release? Hello, Game of Thrones Season Three!

11. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Man, seeing these pictures really makes me strongly consider buying Star Wars toys just to put these into action:

[​IMG]
    From Jedi Temple Archives

[​IMG]
    From Rebelscum.com (thanks to BC putting this is the Plagueis Discussion thread in Lit).

Darth Plagueis' death by Force lightning (top picture) is canon, but man if they instead went with the second one I know I'd be far more entertained!

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Weird day.

Snow, hail, thunder and lightning...all at the same time. Plus my little sister burnt her kitchen. Grease fire.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn. Is she OK?

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

That second should be a Robot Chicken skit.

Oh no! Hope your safe and your sister is not hurt.

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, she's fine. Minor burn on her hand. She's staying with my mom tonight.

The family is supposed to hang out at my mom's and play games on Saturday, I'll see her then.

16. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Glad your sister is well and I hope her hand feels better.

17. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    These Palpatine figure photos are golden.
    I once made clothes for my Grievous action figure. I have action figures of my favorite characters just to put them into goofy poses. I like to play with dolls.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What Seerow said.

Grease fires are scary; glad she's alright.

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  19. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Oh, that's not good! Glad she was (relatively) lucky, though even small burns are extremely ouch.
    I burnt our kitchen a few years ago as well. It was Super Mario's fault, but I managed to put out the fire before really serious things happened. I still find soot to this day.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just spent about 20 minutes rearranging my son's dresser drawers. So many outgrown clothes that I think the Lost 20 of the Jedi Order could have hidden under them.

21. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Do you love animals?

If so, you might be entertained by these photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Here's an American Kestrel that I've been working with. He seems to have taken a liking to me over all other keepers, even those he's worked with for years. I spent the better part of four hours with him yesterday, and he spontaneously decided he wanted to give being a parrot a try.

[​IMG]

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    TaradosGon : that's awesome. I went through a real "bird of prey fan" phase as a kid. Would have loved to have a falcon sit on my shoulder as I walked around. :D

24. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

We have larger BOPs (Bird of prey), like a Barred Owl, an Augur Buzzard, and a Harris Hawk, but the kestrel is the only one that seems to preferentially like me and cooperate with me.

The Barred Owl is relatively new and doesn't really trust anyone yet

[​IMG]

The Harris Hawk is at the end of his life and can't really fly, see or retain body heat well, so we can't really do much with him until the temperature warms up (we try to get him out daily and take him for walks just as an enriching experience to keep him stimulated).

[​IMG]

And the Augur Buzzard is... "special." He is extremely fickle, pretty much marches to the beat of his own drum and so some days will behave fantastic, while the next day he'll do everything wrong. And from a coworker that has done bird shows in Texas and has worked with an assortment of BOPs, she says that all three of the Augur Buzzards that she has had the chance to work with have been extremely unreliable like that.

[​IMG]

The Kestrel is tiny, and so isn't as impressive as a show animal. But I think he definitely has the attention span and cooperative inclination to have the best prospects of one day perhaps being able to fly in shows without restraints (and trusting that he won't just take off), while another keeper strongly advocates the Owl instead.

25. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013

This is karking hilarious! From the same guys that made that "One Ring" parody I posted in my LACWAC member interview. MC Thorin FTW! And I'm glad Gandalf lyrically annihilated Legolas, that shoe-in'ed elf! :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.