main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Kanan (watch out for puns)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    whostheBossk and EternalHero like this.
  2. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    The characters look like they're made out of plastic in that second screenshot.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Kanan seems to be the "ultimate" Order 66 survivor. The guy we finally know is canon, because all the other ones were EU (though I consider every single one of them canon until proven otherwise). Something I noted about him earlier is the fact that his crew is very similar to that of Jax Pavan in the Coruscant Nights novel. I'll show you how.

Kanan // Human male Jedi Knight // Jax Pavan
    Ezra // Young human Force user // Kajin Savaros
    Hera // Female Twi'lek companion // Laranth Tarak
    Zeb // Alien male companion // Den Dhur
    Chopper // Spunky droid // I-5YQ

Now, I seriously doubt that they did this on purpose, but I find it amusing and I actually approve of it, because Jax's crew is one of my favorite PT-era EU creations. But for those who worry that they're ripping off the EU, I think not. Unless a) the entire story takes place on Coruscant (doubtful), b) the story eventually ends with Hera dying and Ezra being mind-wiped (even more doubtful), or c) Ezra is so powerful he can disintegrate the Inquisitor with a Force push (really, really doubtful), then this is just a huge coincidence.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "And what he had to see is pretty much the worst thing you'd have to witness." Yep, he totally saw his Master gunned down in front of him. Or, as was suggested in the Rebels thread, Operation Knightfall.

This could be interesting.

I like the design. He's handsome.

In that second shot, it looks like the Inquisitor is getting ready to go all Majorette Lightsaber mode on him (which of the eight forms require twirly-handle moves, hmmm?); hopefully Kanan has a few back flips in his training.

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    He does seem to have an angry look on his face in every thought. I guess that's justified since he'll have gone through alot in his life. He's was described as sarcastic and taking charge. I imagine Kanan will be distant and cold, a reluctant mentor to Kanan. I like a good mentor story.

Darth Chiznuk and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's dem pointy eyebrows. Nothing says judgmental like a good arched eyebrow. o_O

Hyrum_Solo, EternalHero and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    And there is that. Eh, I do not dig the cartoon-ish-ness of his model.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  8. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Doesn't have to be angry, just attitude.

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

I remember that's what we all said about TCW to begin with (and I agree too, TCW to start off with was way too woody in its animation). Rebels, like TCW, will probably become more visually appealing as the show progresses, hopefully.

10. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    At least the faces look to have a litte more personality, and not cut from a block of wood.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    My problem has little to do with quality, I've barely seen any actual animation. I'm getting caught up more on the stylization in the model. If I recall correctly TCW's blockyy, woodeness was do to stylizing the characters after the Genndy Clone Wars and thats how they ended up looking in CGI. Over time the animation evolved better facial animation and a rounder appearance. Sure the lemur people looked terrible but human/humanoid characters have never looked like cartoon drawings to me in TCW. If they whanna do that, don't use CGI. Kanan has more in common with Green Lantern's animation or even humans in Transformers Prime than he does with TCW, it just the way his head and his body are drawn. I'm just going to have to get over the style change. The backgrounds and vehicles look beautiful as ever in TCW so I've no doubts the animation its self will be up to par. And this is probably a discussion that belongs in another thread.

EternalHero likes this.
  12. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    The stupid "DreamworkSmug" ad made the bile come up; then the character introspection described in the video made it go back down.

13. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I agree.

I also have no problem with that. Prime and Green Lantern had great stylized animation and I'm digging the rounder, softer look Rebels seems to have picked up from them.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Kanan reminds me of Dass Jennir from the Dark Times series. Perfect example of a Jedi abandoning all known principles and practices in order to survive. And I generally hope Rebels goes down this route; let Kanan not be 100% perfect, doing questionable things and have a hint of darkness about him.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love Dass Jennir, so sounds good to me.

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, Kanan can't be perfect. The last perfect character we got was, well...Ahsoka. Kanan needs to have a temper, or not want to join the Rebels, or be willing to kill a little more often than a normal Jedi, or some not entirely good trait to differentiate him from the Sackcloth Gang.

Yeah, Dass Jennir is awesome so if Kanan's based off of him, or is similar to him, I'll be happy.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I mentioned this in the Rebels thread, but I might as well bring it up here where it's appropriate: Who is Kanan's master? Could it have been Plo Koon?

The possibility of Koon makes sense, considering where this show is coming from. We never got a final farewell on TCW from Koon, and I doubt we'll see one on the bonus content. Filoni has already suggested some characters in this show have ties with TCW. And obviously, Koon's his favorite character. Plus, the Ghost's Kanan's ship, and several people on this forum have already remarked on the similarity between it's logo and Koon's face.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't see a direct likeness.. Maybe if it had the two pincer things..

Actually, now that I look at it more, it looks like.. a duck?

19. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I hadn't thought of that, I think I'd be a fan of something like that.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I honestly never saw a remote similarity between the logo and Koon's face. The logo looks like nothing familiar to me.

21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Ooh ooh, this sounds cool! We never met Plo Koon's Padawan after all; if it was in fact Kanan, and he was about thirteen or so, and maybe down on the ground and saw his Master's ship destroyed...wow, that could be cool. I'm not sure if they'll go with that or not but it would be neat. Jax Pavan was Even Piell's Padawan before Piell was retconned to die in Season 3 of TCW, I think seeing the Order 66 survivors as Padawans of well-known Jedi could be cool. Of course, I'd be equally okay with his Master having been a nobody, which is more likely to happen, but with Filoni on the crew you never know.

Contessa likes this.
  22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if the Rebels TV movie this summer will begin with a prologue set during Order 66 and show what happened to Kanan or if his back story remains a mystery for a while. I prefer a little mystery but I have to say that a prologue dealing with Order 66 would be very interesting.

23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    It'll probably just be the first three episodes of Rebels, like TCW's movie was.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not sure about that. To be honest, TCW movie wasn't executed very well and IMO that was a big part of the reason why. The episodes weren't written as a movie in the first place so I don't think they work as a movie. I'm hoping they've learned their lessons from that and will put more thought into it this time.

Contessa and Revanfan1 like this.
  25. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm guessing it's going to be more of just airing a two-parter pilot with both episodes at the same time as a "movie". Just like Young Justice did with the "Independence Day" pilot.

Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.