main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels teaser trailers

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by phatdude1138, Feb 17, 2014.

1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005

Tarados: I'm including the ignite trailer and changing the title of this thread for discussion of the trailers.

2. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Reminds me of a 3DS game, somehow.

3. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I can't say I'm a fan of the animation... It looks rather cheap and uninspired, even compared to the earlier TCW seasons IMO.

4. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Give it time. TCW didn't look too great at first either, but it got a lot better as the show went on.

EternalHero likes this.
  5. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    Looks absolutely awful. Very "Disney" in a way, which I thought they would try to avoid? The characters look like they've stepped out of Tangled.

Very worrying since this is the launch of the new "Disney" era of Star Wars. Is this the best they could come up with? Really...?

6. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    I don't watch much of Disney animation so it doesn't bother me.

7. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    It doesn't overly bother me either but it all looks very, very child centric and not just the animation either. Not only that but the designs of the new characters are bad also. Hand Solo + Jedi = yeah, that's original. Oh, and lets not forget, Luke + Solo = young rebellious Jedi in training!

8. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    We'll see. It's what five or six months until the premier? I don't get overly excited about it. At least Disney left good people to work on the show. If they brought in a complete new team, there would be more reservation from me.

9. Master_Fwiffo

Master_Fwiffo Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2001
    That animation looks Horrendous.

10. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    It doesn't look that bad. If it's so awful you do better then.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I for one don't care much about the animation quality, I'll be watching because it's Star Wars.

12. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    The animation looks unpolished I'm not judging the show by a few short promotional clips. Otherwise, this is the first new SW content of the new era, I'm stoked!

Zabrak 3 and TaradosGon like this.
  13. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I really don't find the animation that bad - I was more focused on and impressed by the "epic" feeling the trailer had with the Rebel Starbird...it made me even more pumped since it feels much more momentous than just a random side show....

Before that trailer, I was feeling kinda like, "Oh yea, its a show that tkaes place between III and IV...seems interesting. I guess it'll feel a bit like some pieces are falling in place for the Rebellion."
    After watching the teaser, I felt like this, "ZOMG!!!! Its the beginning of the Rebel Alliance for goodness sake!!!!"

Revanfan1 and Circular Logic like this.
  14. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    If a story's good enough, it can be told with stick figures.

Eh, you lower the budget and focus more on style than mind-blowing effects, and the Michael Bay generation makes for the door? Good riddance, I say.

15. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    YES I KNEW IT WASN't JUST MY EYES.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  16. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Looking at where The Clone Wars left off, visually, I am 100% certain that what they've released is heavily massaged WIP animation. The show will look incredible, especially as the new producing team finds their balance and settles into a groove. Another factor is that we've all gotten used to TCW and this animation style is clearly different, more organic and fluid and the facial expressions are clearly rooted in more traditional American animation, which makes sense for Disney! It's a little disorienting seeing that style used for SW animation 'cause we haven't really seen it yet. It'll take a few episodes for our eyes to adjust; but I did notice how ambitious the shots were in those clips, lots of big, cinematic camera moves, even bigger than than in TCW. But there's no way Filoni's gonna put out subpar animation. You can actually see that they've laid on a bit of a gauzy effect to smooth over what is probably unfinished animation. The fans have shown interest and have asked to see footage so they got some together for us. The series premier is half a year away! Believe me, they'll be working on every frame till the zero hour. It's gonna look great!

whostheBossk and Atantiabo like this.
  17. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Looks fine to me.

Though if you're going to use Imperial music, you need to show more than a TIE.

18. red5_standingby

red5_standingby Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2014
    I think we can't judge too much of the animation on these short clips. From what I see, the animation looks pretty similar to TCW, but the colors give it a tone that skews a bit younger. I don't mind that, because TCW did as well. I actually kind of dig that the look is more flowy and soft. The space segments look perfect though, feels really OT "escape from the Death Star". :)

Call it a "visual arc" or something, but that's a good trick in cinema to show how the progression of the series, if you show how light, even in the worst of days of the Empire, you can contrast it with later episodes.

Edit:

More stuff that I wanted to comment on.

Wanted to comment on that Ghost crew's insignia that's clearly reminiscent of the Rebel Alliance's symbol. Looks like the crew will play a role in the forming the alliance that's more directly than I originally imagined. Not sure if I like that idea, but I sure like it more than The Force Unleashed's backstory haha of the symbol being lifted from the Marek family crest. But I'll wait to see how it all plays out :)

Also, the kid's (forget his name) slingshot! I must say I'm loving this character more and more every time I see him. I can see how he was the first character created for this show. He seems to be the heart of the series.

19. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I just watched both teasers. IMO they seemed a bit "juvey" to me. Hopefully I'm proved wrong.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Almost all animated shows take time before really getting a polished look. As someone said, TCW looked awful when it started, especially the movie. But they were also trying a lot of new styles of animation that had never really been done before.

Now with Rebels, not only does it have a lot of the same developers as TCW, but it's also animated in a known style. Versus, say, Green Lantern, TCW is miles away from it, whereas Rebels is much closer to that style of animation. The animators are a seasoned group using a style similar to a lot of other contemporary animated shows. I have no doubt that the animation will look great in the first few episodes, and I also have no doubt that it will improve as the show goes on. Even with TCW, compare Ambush to Hostage Crisis, and there's already some noticeable differences.

21. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I don't think this point can be stressed enough. Just go back and look at the trailers for the Clone Wars movie in 2008.

The lighting is clinical, the animations are horrendously stiff and the environment design is incredibly bland. I openly admit I didn't like the majority of TCW, but one of the things that I have always said has worked in the show's favour was the good animation, especially compared to what it used to look like. Rebels looks very similar to TCW in its animation, all that's really changed is the style choices when building the character models. Personally I don't think they look cheap so much as they look like they're using a different design aesthetic. Once the animators get a feel of how to best use the new design style it's going to inevitably look better.

22. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006

They said the same thing about TCW. After awhile people got used to it and liked it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

EternalHero likes this.
  23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I agree, the new animation style looks terrible...

Darth Desolous and GGrievous like this.
  24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'd rather skip ahead to Episode VII

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  25. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I see both sides of this argument. I think we are just used to the animation style of TCW (and even Gendy). But lets face it, all in all, this is still a "cartoon". I too would prefer if they stayed with TCW style, but we knew that production costs on that series was high and Disney want's to save money.

I mean even if it was the crappy Hasbro animation from the 80s cartoons, if the story is well written and the voice acting is also good, it may still be good. I know NOTHING of modern "cartoons". I'm an old man. At best I just know Flintstones to Voltron, anything that came after I know nothing about. What I do remember is there was a cartoon based off of a yellow sponge, it was popular and I don't think the animation was that great.

I agree, we all have become used to the TCW and it's awesome animation. Those days are gone now. We can either "strike" and vow not to watch this, or just get on board and enjoy what we are going to get.

I'm not a fan of Disney... I'm not a fan of J.J. Abrams, but what is done is done. Even though I prefer a pre-Disney Star Wars era, it's gone and this is what it is now.

whostheBossk and Atantiabo like this.