main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT I think prequel-trollers have ruined the movies for me...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rolf Larsen, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolf Larsen

Rolf Larsen Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 1, 2013
    NOT TRYING TO TROLL

I have always loved the prequels. LOVED them. Lately I have been reading the internet about how a lot of people hate them and go out of their way to troll those who do like them. I will admit the prequels do seem to have a few flaws, as pointed out by these haters.... but half of those flaws are just wrong and incorrect. I have always wondered, what if the situation were reversed? What if the world loved the prequels, and hated the originals?.... would they have found as many flaws in the originals as the prequels?.... I have always like to think so, or at least two thirds as many..... however lately someone pointed out on these forums a pretty big flaw in the prequels to another member, one that I can almost not ignore.... why would Anakin kill so many people, including children, just to save someone he loved? I mean, in real life hardly anyone as good of a person as Anakin would kill so many people just to save one individual that he/she cared for. Is it that Anakin isn't portrayed as such a good person in the first place (killing all of those people in AotC)?.... or has it all got to do with the force affecting people in strange ways, in a somewhat more exaggerated sense that the real world that is somewhat mystical (i.e, in the Phantom Menace, Yoda claims that being attached emotionally to anyone can lead to the Dark Side, which in the Star Wars universe generally involves killing people and being evil)?....

I REALLY don't want the prequels ruined for me, can someone please tell me what they think of this possible flaw?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    The think the major flaw of all of SW not just the PT with Anakin's issues is that in a general sense SW is painted in black and white via perceptions of many when presented in shades of grey. I am sorry that so many troll and flame. It happens on both sides. [:D]

3. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I too, have seem some of my opinions somewhat changed by here, but lately I've realized it's my opinions that matter to me, and there's no good reason why others should have the power to change my opinions.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Not without consent, anyway. Yet, I can understand if they feel pressured or threatened by certain elements here.

5. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    What exactly constitutes as a "troller"? I've noticed to some it generally means anyone who doesn't think the PT is the epitome of perfection... :rolleyes:

So I'm not sure who is "ruining" the PT for you. If you mean actual trolls - who post nonsense just for the sake of getting a rise out of people? How can they affect the way you view any movie? Why would you possibly care what people like that think? They don't even have a good reason to say what they do. They just want to upset people. Ignore what they say.

If you're calling people who legitimately critique the PT "trolls" - then it sounds to me like they are pointing out valid issues with the PT and you're bothered by it because now you can't see the PT the same. Well... that is unfortunate. But why should that matter to you? The movies (all 9 of them), the novels, comics, games, toys, etc. are all made for entertainment. If the PT entertained you - then it did its job. Yes - analyzing it too deeply may make you look at them differently. Yes - that may make you not like them as much as before. But...again...focus on what you like about the PT. Then there really isn't a problem.

As for your question on Anakin - I don't really have a good answer beyond he grew really desperate and obsessive to the point that it blinded him of any form of logic or empathy for others. IDK. I didn't really like that aspect of the story.

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If anything the unrelenting criticism of the PT has steered me into likewise revisiting the OT with a similar eye towards scrutiny.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'd say it's a flawed argument to call that a flaw. RotS shows the birth of Darth Vader, the villain, and that scene is supposed to show how deep he has fallen. But if you still want to find a rationale for Anakin's behaviour, it's all just a matter of perspective. From Anakin's POV, the Jedi never trusted him, Palpatine has been "singing" tom him what he likes/wants to hear for years, his mother died in his hands, etc, etc... Does that excuse murder? No, it doesn't nor is it supposed to.

As for things to do: ignore trolls and people who treat their subjective opinion as fact.

skyrimcat9416 likes this.
  8. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Dune:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_(Dune)

"His cells have the highest concentration of midi-chlorians I have ever seen in a lifeform. It's possible he was conceived by the midi-chlorians."

9. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013

I'm sorry, but, what point are you trying to make?

10. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Try reading the link.

11. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013

I did, I'm still confused.

12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Star Wars draws heavily from Frank Herbert's "Dune":

http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html

It is kind of the spiritual cousin of Star Wars.

Whether the connections are deliberate or not, there are many echoes of "Dune" in The 'Wars.

Anakin's conception can be one of them. He is special in a way that even the other Jedi -- rare as they are -- are not.

That may also put him at greater risk of internal corruption. Hence Yoda's concern (which you acknowledged) in TPM: "The Chosen One the boy may be. Nevertheless, grave danger I fear in his training."

He is so connected to the mysterious psychic energy of the Force, in other words, that he risks being pulled under and altered in some pretty deep and significant ways, should his training go awry; should he even get trained at all.

There are at leas two notable parts in ROTS, as well, in which Anakin seems aware of an internal transformation, which he is powerless to explain. One is after he kills Dooku, the other is when he admits to Padme in feeling "lost". Sinister music accompanies both scenes.

Therefore, your earlier speculation, in my opinion, is valid. Anakin's decline is not a normal psychological decline. There are greater hands at work.

13. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    If you ask me, I think you should just ignore the trolls and continue liking what you like. Who cares what they think? They can't nor should you let them try to change your opinion on the movies.

Its perfectly if someone doesn't like the PT. Some people have valid reasons for disliking for the PT and don't deserve to be lumped in with the "haters" and "trolls."

However, anyone who spends their time whining and moaning about a decade-old set of movies like a raving lunatic and taunts and makes fun of every poster that does like them should be put on ignore and not be taken seriously to begin with. Odds are, they are fully grown men that still live in their mom's basement and have nothing better to do with their lives than to bitch and moan on a message board all day.

Samnz likes this.
  14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Yep.

I'm a fan of Elvis (Presley). In real-life, I've had a fair few taunts and light ribbing. People seem to think I should like The Beatles or Bob Dylan instead. Sorry -- I'm an Elvis fan, through and through.

The same is true, to some extent, of my taste in film. I like the prequels. And what of it? My favourite film, from childhood, and maybe still to this day, is "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". I just rewatched it last night for probably the 90th time. It still works for me on every conceivable level.

Tastes differ. Plus... it's kinda fun being a pariah. :cool:

15. Rolf Larsen

Oct 1, 2013
    Thankyou so so much, and the same to everyone else who tried to help as well (that could be everyone, too lazy to check the thread lol), because you may have saved my love for the prequels. Awesome.

Cryogenic likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Short version here:

1. If you love the prequels, there is no reason whatsoever that another person's dislike of them should "ruin" them for you. Why do you care what other people think of a film that you have personally enjoyed? Their opinions are not important when you are watching the film, only your own enjoyment is.

2. Posting a negative opinion of the prequels is not trolling unless the negative opinion is posted in a Prequel Fan Club thread. I've been posting here for longer than my registration date indicates, and my personal experience is that 99 percent of the people here do not type up a post with the mindset that "I want to piss off people who disagree." People are just posting opinions.

And again, back to #1. There is no reason to get pissed off when someone disagrees. I've seen people behave as if a dissenting opinion on a film is the equivalent of insulting their mothers. That's taking this **** a tad bit too seriously.

3. On Anakin, I can't help you there. He's been my favorite character since ROTJ but his depiction in that movie ruined him. Thankfully TCW brought back the Anakin I love.

17. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The solution: Embrace something even more countercultural.

I voted for Ralph Nader during the Bush years, and the assaults from fellow liberals inoculated me to any apprehension of being a Prequel fan.

18. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I think it's good to seek input from others but ultimately it is an individual's choice in most things whether or in what manner their view changes. I hope you salvage your enjoyment of the PT, Rolf. :)

19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I hope Prequel trollers go away and never come back

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I hope the needless tensions finally cool.

21. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The only person that can ruin any entertainment you enjoy is yourself. Yes, there are people who basically have no lives and can't discuss Star Wars without talking about how George Lucas "raped their childhood." All you can do is ignore it and enjoy the living hell out of the films you love. The prequels are there, whether a segment of the fanbase likes it or not.

Samnz likes this.
  22. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I completely understand as to how differing opinions on subject matter can ruin a good thing. Heck, after reading about OT character deaths in the upcoming ST for the trillionth time I too have become stoic, bitter, disheartened by the mere suggestion of an Episode 7 ; ) It is to late for me, but you still have a chance to maintain some enjoyment in seeing a Star Wars film. My advice to you is turn off your computer, and just run friend...run far, far away from message boards of any kind. Do not let your Star Wars fandom be swayed nor slip through your fingers, as I did. There is hope for you yet.

As for the more glum topic of Anakin killing children under the guise of 'loving' someone. That in actuality is all too real in some cases. War in general is attached to such a stigma, that of fighting to 'protect' loved ones. So, in a sense the story of Anakin was just relaying an abstract concept used in society today. An idealism regarded highly by some, and lamented by just as many if not more. Such is the story of one Anakin the Skywalker.

Also, admittedly, the Force could have a little something to do with it. It feeds off anger, hate and all that other mumbo jumbo.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Oh look, a thread for fans to talk about other fans...
    ultimately, if another poster's POV annoys you, try the ignore function.

Its always sunny in Mos Eisley...
    and you know what old Ben had to say about that place.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.