main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels teaser trailers

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by phatdude1138, Feb 17, 2014.

1. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    phatdude1138 Would've been better if they had used TCW's for consistency, but different animators have their own particular style. I'm not 100% familiar with Weisman, but I'm sure his other shows might look similar.

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't disagree. I'll certainly still watch the show as long as the story is good. (And I can't stand Michael Bay's polished turds.) But I was hoping for something that didn't seem so bland. It took me a while to warm up to TCW's animation, so maybe it'll grow on me as the show goes on, but I'm not going into this with high expectations for the story or the animation.

3. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't get what all the complaints are about. The animation style looks exactly like something we'd see in the later seasons of TCW except the characters have a less angular, more traditional look. I also don't see anything that looks overtly "kiddie" (other than the narration which will have nothing to do with the finished product) especially in comparison to TCW where some of the first glimpses we had were of Zorba the Hutt and Jabba's son, Stinky. It's just bizarre to me how anyone that loves TCW would find anything objectionable about what is seen in this 30 seconds of footage. I mean, there's already complaints about it not being dark enough. Not to rain on anyone's parade, but when a scene takes place in broad daylight that's kind of hard to avoid. TCW and SW in general have always ran the gambit in terms of lighting, and this show will be no exception. I have a feeling that these same people are going to have a cow when the Ep7 trailer comes out and has the audacity to show a scene with color and lighting in it. If "fans" had their way, every movie, or other piece of visual medium, would be so dark that you might as well be looking at a black screen. :rolleyes:

4. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I kinda agree with this. Again, being an old man, I remember the days of Droids and Ewoks:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This animation wasn't great, the stories weren't even memorable. BUT this is all we had in the late 80s. We didn't have a lot of EU at all. No real video games. No internet.

People are spoiled now a a days, Infinite resources on the internet. Tons of EU. Video games. TCW, etc. I agree, I love the look of TCW. Rebels looks more like a generic "3d cartoon". But remember, if well done, it doesn't matter what medium it's in.

Atantiabo likes this.
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    For me, I guess the notion of "darkness" in Star Wars just seems silly. Next to Pasolini, Palpatine might as well be playing hopscotch.

TaradosGon and Darthgoodguy like this.
  6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    First off, those are teasers, months away from the final, finished product. I wouldn't be surprised if these very scenes we saw now got a lot of improvements by the time they are aired.

Second, as many have mentioned, TCW vastly improved it's animation as it matured. These CGI animated shows all take some time to get used to their particular quirks and style, but in the end it all turns out okay.
    Wait and see.

7. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    This is so true, in my case. Does anyone remember ReBoot, from the 90's? One of the first CG shows ever? The animation looks terrible today, but the voice acting, writing, and all around great production values still stand today. I can still watch that show, and enjoy it. (It is the only show I know of that took the tag-along annoying kid and made him awesome. And it managed to pull off a massive tone shift from an adventure show to a darker story.)

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's bad...how exactly?

I like the animation. And if they're going cheaper than TCW, maybe they can animate the characters in more than five outfits over the series.

Mia Mesharad, Chewgumma and Revanfan1 like this.
  9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, but this show should grow on the progress TCW made over its life. It's like a huge backward step. That 'Chopper' video actually looked good. This ... this did not.

I'll be watching, regardless. I've always been a fan of the Dark Times era and the story potential and what we've seen of the characters has intrigued me.

10. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Wow, big disagree. Lucasfilm & Nelvana created two excellent, well written & produced animated series. Ewoks was beautifully animated and the first eight episodes of Droids were also very well animated. I'd say, at that moment, Ewoks and Droids were two of the better animated Saturday morning series on American television. Paul Dini, who was story editor for Ewoks, went on to become one of the finest writers in animation. And it was mid 80's, 1985, not late 80's.

whostheBossk likes this.
  11. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I really don't understand what everyone's issue is? Even some of the people saying, "this is just a teaser, hopefully the final animation when the show airs is better/more polished/etc.." What exactly is so wrong about the animation - specifically? I'm hearing things like "not dark enough. no texture. no detail." Tell me specifically what is wrong and why its wrong? What would you do differently? THAT is what I want to know. How would this be "improved" in anyway - other than replacing it with live action? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is "perfect and can never be improved upon." I simply just am not a huge animation person - besides TCW and I really don't see any major faults so, I'd like to hear someone point specific things out to change and how they would change them? Because I really don't get all the hate.

12. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    People just love to ***** above absolutely nothing, and even more so when it's something they'll probably get to see for "free".

Humans.

Please star out curse words completely in the future.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Remember we're seeing this out in an open field; we're not going to see much shadow. If it shows them in a shadowy place like the underbelly of Coruscant and things are still as bright as in the field, then there's a problem. But until that happens I don't see any problem with anything we saw in the teasers.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm not impressed in the least. It looks quite bland and sounds very dull.

Darth Desolous likes this.
  15. Darth Desolous

Darth Desolous Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    Dude. To each their own. No one is ******** about anything, just giving their own opinion on the trailers. Not every one is going to agree on one thing. Yeah we're humans, not robots.

16. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008

Ashley posted the link on the HerUniverse Facebook page...is she involved?

Although the Frozen animation style seems odd to be mixed with Star Wars...

I like how unlike TCWS, it doesn't look to be taking itself too seriously...just having fun exploring a period in the timeline. It leaves them room to play without messing with what is established. Smart move by Kennedy...what isn't so smart is the choice of Disney XD; how many people own that channel? I don't...

but like everything, time will tell.

17. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    More likely she's just publicizing content from a company she previously worked for. After all, she seemed to be a huge Star Wars fan just like some of the other voice actors, so it's not that much of a stretch that she'd be excited about it even if she wasn't working on it. Now, I wouldn't mind if she did, but she needs to be able to change her voice enough so I don't instantly think "Ahsoka!" when she talks.

Yeah, but we'll get used to it. It's just as far as animation, the blocky micro-series/TCW style was all we had, whether cartoon or CGI. Rebels is a new type of animation which we've never really had before, so we'll have to adjust. It doesn't bother me though, because I actually quite enjoy the change in style, and as you referred to it as the "Frozen" style, I actually thought the animation of Frozen was top-notch.

18. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Yeah, I don't have disney XD either. But maybe they'll have the episodes on iTunes, or a day later on the Star Wars website like before.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't think Eckstein is involved. She is just promoting herself as the voice for female Star Wars fans; she's been doing that for awhile.

Agree with you about the show taking itself less seriously; to me that's a good thing. I blame Lucas for that aspect of TCW. Dude got all srs bsns as he aged.

As far as Disney XD, Disney doesn't care how many people have the channel because hey, new subscribers. It will work on me if I can't get the show any other way. Hey Comcast, shut up and take my money for 119 channels that I don't watch.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I still hope the show will be available to watch on SW.com and/or Disney XD.com. I don't have any experience with Disney XD so I don't know if they air their new shows on the website after they've aired on the channel, but Disney Channel used to do that on their website so it's a fair bet. I just hope that they allow SW.com to do the same or I'll be supremely displeased. Especially if I miss the premiere movie, but then they let SW.com do the rest of the episode, or something stupid like that. Anywhoo, only time will tell.

21. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Haven't seen the move yet, but I heard nothing but praises. From what I've seen its good.

It would be foolish for them NOT to take advantage of the medium.

[face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

Revanfan1 likes this.
  22. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    "Reminds me of a 3DS game, somehow."

"It looks rather cheap and uninspired, even compared to the earlier TCW seasons IMO."

"Looks absolutely awful. Very "Disney" in a way, which I thought they would try to avoid? The characters look like they've stepped out of Tangled."

"That animation looks Horrendous."

"I agree, the new animation style looks terrible..."

If that ain't ********, I don't know what is (the word itself means "complaint"). You should also see comments elsewhere on less courteous websites.

23. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    The facebook page for Star Wars. Oh my goodness, such hatred. I shouldn't even try to argue with those...people? Who knows. But man do they hate everything it seems like.

24. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Opinions are fine, but there are shades of legitimacy. It is objectively factual is that it's unfinished animation and still too early to call.

It seems these few seconds of unfinished animation have held a mirror up to everyone's overall outlook, and it saddens me to see hair-trigger reactions being made which will unfairly skew future perceptions.

Heero_Yuy and Vthuil like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Someone needs to go in there and starting Sidiousing up the place.

"Goooood. Goooood. Your hate has made you powerful."

Sir Chem and credar like this.