main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Christianity Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Aug 1, 2013.

1. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Awesome, I get to be a latin pedant... the infinitive is scire, scio means "I know". I think it came to us through the noun scientia rather than the verb.

On a more important note, if God made us in his own image, does that mean he pewps?

Also, what about the cherubim, seraphim and all his other flying wizards? Can they do, like, a dive-bomb type thing? Like a fecal Stuka?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    God would have a divine bog. Perfectly formed, immensely satisfying, and no wiping required.

Ever wonder why they're the best kind? Because Jesus.

3. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Awesome. Almost tempted to give Jim Bowen a call and ask about how to get involved in god bothering.

Thing is, the other guy... the one Michael and the other wizards kicked out... I bet he has an EPIC outhouse.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you mean Brian Jones?

5. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    The very fellow!

Imagine what that man's dunny must be like.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    God's **** doesn't stink.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

I thought floaters were the devil's work!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    See, these are the questions.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought this said he would have a divine bong, but I'm pretty sure he would have that as well.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That would make sense, because let's face it - He did mellow out a lot between Testaments. Toking making sense as a reason why.

Seriously though, can I ask Christians to explain to this godless heathen why God's personality is inconsistent between His Old Testament self and New Testament self?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I posted a video a bit ago, possibly the Thunderdome thread. Lewis Black covers this all.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I didn't see; can you repost? Yes, I'm that lazy but I could also claim I'm just protecting you from those crazy Christians and their wild allegations of deicide.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Once he learned how to change water into wine...all was well.

At least until he came across a bad fig tree.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If you're asking seriously, what inconsistencies do you see? Because I largely don't. If you articulate a few examples I would be happy to talk you through them, though.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Lazy tush...

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I believe a lot of the Old Testament was NOT true/inspired.

Also, God the Father isn't really a "character" in the NT. He speaks only a few times, and doesn't really interact with anyone.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Wait, what? Ghost how does that make any sense? The entirety of the New Testament is built off sermons and arguments that exclusively cite the Old Testament? Its writers, down to man, endorsed and looked up to all the Old Testament prophets? Exactly what are you objecting to?

18. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    Well, I can answer that both inside and outside Christian tradition . . . I believe the usual Christian answer is that the God of the Old Testament is the God of the Fall, which had not been atoned for yet. Every human living, including those among his Chosen People, deserved to be executed like criminals, and God often treated them that way. In the New Testament, Christ died as a sacrifice, in the place of fallen humanity. The law was fulfilled, and so God could finally move past that Fall thing.

Speaking outside the Christian tradition, or from within it as some kind of liberal heretic, the Old Testament and the New Testament have profoundly different purposes. The Old Testament is fundamentally the history of the covenant between faithful Yahweh and his fickle Chosen People. The people rebel, they forget, they wander off, etc., and God punishes them, but he always accepts them back.

The New Testament is a messianic text preparing people for the end of the world, which early followers thought was not far off. In Matthew 16:28 Jesus says, "Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom." Rather than a story about a long, rather fraught relationship, with its emotional baggage and complex rules for living, the NT is the news of a spiritual victory, in which humanity can be on the winning side without having to do the fighting. God looks a lot nicer and more heroic in this light. :p

Sarge likes this.
  19. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I personally believe that verse alludes to John, who didn't die before he saw the Revelation. Not for lack of trying on the part of the Romans and Jews, of course.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you think the Vatican should have lifted the charge of deicide against Jews, Anakin-Solo-Revanchist?

21. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I'm not entirely certain. I mean, Jesus needed to live a pure life and die, so that His death would be sufficient to substitute our own. I have heard it said, though, that at the final judgment, the Jews will be judged for putting their Savior on the cross. I haven't yet found Biblical proof to substantiate or disprove this claim, so I don't know.

22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    The Jews are still the chosen people, even in the New Testament. Christians would be compared to adopted children while Jews would be natural children. Christianity did not replace Judaism, we were simply added into the family. All the promises God made to Abraham are still in effect, bless his descendants and be blessed, curse them and be cursed. Any persecution or prejudice against the Jewish people is not only morally wrong but also heretical if done by Christians and blasphemous. The crimes Christians have committed against the Jewish people are things Christians to this day need to work hard to atone for. There was no excuse for how we allowed the atrocities against them for the last 2000 years and the fact we participated in them and led many of them is sick and appalling and something I hope we never allow to happen again.

23. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    YALL NEED JEEZUZ

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So it doesn't seem plausible that Jesus would be put to death as an agitator against the status quo, and the Jews scape-goated (as they so often are) by, oh I don't know, the Roman Catholic Church who could use the Jews to rehabilitate their image following their new found belief in Christianity?

dp4m - just so you know, firmly on your side here.

25. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    live pure; die hard is the upcoming christian die hard movie starring bruce willis and mel gibson