main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate [American Just Us] white man convicted of attempted murder after successfully murdering black teen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    yeah ok so it seems to me like dp and I agree; the man is morally culpable of murder and his acts show a reckless disregard for human life. I'm not sure if dp agrees that the 2nd amendment and Floridan carry/conceal + stand your ground law facilitated this outcome, or not. But to satisfy the 1st Degree Murder charge, we don't agree that it would be possible to make that claim and maybe we agree that it wasn't an appropriate charge to level against Mr Dunn?

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Sigh. Ender, Stand Your Ground doesn't work the way you seem to think it does. In its negative dimension, it removes the duty to retreat. This is what was in play in the case. In its positive dimension, it allows charges to be dismissed before going to trial, if the defendant invokes Stand Your Ground. He didn't. The state had to disprove he was acting in self-defense because he claimed self-defense as the legal basis for his actions. Period.

So no, I don't have a lot of confidence you understand the issues well when you can't even articulate the relevant law correctly.

3. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, so because he didn't invoke it, it doesn't apply at all and will not form the basis of the court's discussion?

I'll find transcripts and find the judge instructing the jury to disregard it as a factor?

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I just mentioned the ways it applies. Read. My posts, and about the case.

5. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So you're saying yes, the judge will be compelled to tell the Jury to disregard any suggestion that the accused acted in self-defence because he felt threatened?

It's a simple question, Wocky. Yes or no?

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    American jurisprudence already allows people to act in self-defense when they feel threatened. The state of Florida already did before Stand Your Ground existed. Other states that clearly don't have "Stand Your Ground," like the state of New York, already allow it. However, they have qualifiers that Florida currently does not: namely, a duty to retreat. Your focus on being able to defend yourself because you feel threatened is not the unique element here. In other words, the judge would say that either way.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I don't necessarily feel that Florida carry/conceal or any part of Stand Your Ground had anything to do with this -- under normal 2nd Amendment and a carry permit, no one would necessarily see it with him driving a car.

To me, it sounded like any second-degree murder: two random people got in an encounter, someone said "Boy, that escalated quickly..." and one of the people ended up dead. I do agree that it didn't seem to satisfy the first-degree charge.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I think it has, but I don't think it applied in this case -- I think he just got angry, pulled a gun and then tried to claim self-defense way later.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Just from a cursory read -- I've been called in at Wocky's request -- I have to say that article writer isn't a lawyer and doesn't know what he or she is talking about. The media seems to think that Stand Your Ground means "shoot whomever provokes you" -- but it doesn't. It doesn't remotely mean that.

It means that you don't have a duty to retreat -- the article is correct to conflate the castle with the person, as that is basically what it does. However, what castle doctrine does not do is allow for disproportionate use of force: and arguably Stand Your Ground doesn't either. Even if you have no duty to retreat, you generally can't just shoot someone unless you fear imminent bodily harm or death.

There are some exceptions. I think the last time this came up, dp4m and PointGiven quoted some NY statutes at me that did indicate a right to use deadly force in the home. It's entirely possible that FL statutes allow this too -- I wouldn't know unless I looked at them.

But if it's just Stand Your Ground, then that's not enough. It has to be a variation of Stand Your Ground that allows for the use of deadly force for even de minimis provocations.

yankee8255 likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Jello -- my only (possible faulty) understanding different in FL's application of SYG is that it doesn't have to occur in one's home, removing the "castle doctrine" overall. Which is... mind-bogglingly stupid, if true.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, this is my understanding too. SYG no longer means the home, but the person.

Jello as I understand it, citing SYG concerns to the officers who arrived was deemed insufficient by those officers who charged Mr Dunn with murder. But as a mitigating circumstance, if SYG is applied to the person (have you read the whole article? And nice work fighting your own battle Wocky :rolleyes:) rather than the home can you not conceive of a scenario in which the concept of self-defence is distorted by SYG?

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Having read that article, I don't even see what specific applicability you're finding, Ender. He correctly discusses the clause for pre-trial dismissal hearings. He correctly notes the overall trend in self-defense killings after the law's passage, and it's deeply negative overall effects. But nowhere in the article do I see him attribute the right to use force in self-defense to Stand Your Ground in the way that you are.

EDIT: It's also worth pointing out, again, that this all happened when Dunn was inside his car. So, as the article itself notes, it already would have been permissible in Florida.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Jesus H ****ing Christ, Wocky. I'm not saying SYG can be invoked. I'm saying that it must be acknowledged that legally, the threshold for self-defence has shifted as a result of the unholy mess that is the combination of idiot American guntards with ancient British doctrine.

Do you understand this Wocky, or is it not abstract enough for you?! Florida has created a climate in which a person who has a carry and conceal permit would be said to be reasonably aware of SYG and what it means. Consequently, it would fail a reasonableness test to say that Mr Dunn's belief of his rights with respect of the law and self-defence were not influenced by Floridia's SYG statutes and as such, if he says he acted in self-defence because he felt threatened it's hard to rule out that was not the case. He didn't need to walk away from it; he felt he was empowered by law to act how he did.

That the Jury could easily pass the attempted second degree murder charges but not the first degree actual murder charge completely supports my position. It makes no sense that a random disbursement of bullets should be attempted second degree but the random ones that actually hit could be deemed premeditated. Had the prosecutor not been overcompensating viciously for not getting Zimmerman a more reasonable charge would have been laid and possibly, given the outcome to date, convicted.

Make sense?

Actually, why am I asking you if you get this. Jello, does this make sense?

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Actually, that's something I disagree with -- it's perfectly possible to have a first-degree murder in conjunction with attempted second-degrees on top of that.

Plan to kill person X and open fire on them in a crowded area -- that'd probably cover it.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Sure but that's got no basis on what I'm saying and would actually make no sense in this case, because as you said earlier there's too short a time frame to establish intent to kill.

But I take your point - you plan to go kill your ex- and hit and kill some bystanders. Totally. But in this scenario, the jury rejecting 1st degree murder but convicting on second degree attempted strongly suggests the first degree charge was tenuous at best.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    There were two volleys of bullets. Those in the first killed Jordan Davis. Several seconds later, when the vehicle was clearly pulling away, Dunn decided to fire another volley of shots into the vehicle. It was easy to distinguish between the two charges because there were two separate volleys. The second, made when the victims were clearly trying to flee, pretty easily constitute the charges of which he was found guilty. The first, which killed Davis, are at issue in the charge that saw no definitive verdict.

Once again, I'm telling you, if you actually bothered to look into this, your points might be less erroneous. Why do you think it's a good thing to argue from ignorance? You may as well join Moviefan in loling at evolution and denouncing geology. A number of your points now have had no more factual basis.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm aware there were two separate volleys. You know, for an expert in psychology, pharmacology, Wagner and law you really don't seem to have much courtroom experience. Or actually I know what it is; you can't conceive of reasonable doubt because reasonable doubt must exist in a reasonable mind and there is not one person on these boards would accuse you of that.

Wocky, I actually hate your nation's gun laws. I kind of wish every person who was a gun advocate or lobbyist would pick all the lowest hanging fruits off the cancer tree and die slowly, preferably letting me know when they were going to expire so I could watch and fill my black little heart with joy. They're monstrous, inhuman, and have lead you as a nation to rival third world failed states in how little value you ascribe to human life.

I fail to see, what the prosecution was thinking in trying to establish premediation in a heated argument last a matter of minutes at most, when the accused had no record of similar behavior and when the state had redrawn the boundaries of acceptable measures to defend one's person.

Just to be sure, you are use the following in your above post.

1) That the first volley of shots, which killed Jordan Davis, constitute first degree murder
    2) The second volley of shots, fired at least in part when Dunn was trying to exit his car and shoot from outside it, constitutes the second degree murder charge.

So even though he exited the car in order to improve his aim, and even though witnesses only recall him saying "you can't talk to me like that", you want us to believe that a man who could put 9 rounds of a 10 round volley into a car was accurate enough to do that even as the car moved, but not accurate enough to aim just for Jordan Davis, so therefore 6 of the 9 bullets that hit the car but did not hit Davis were still attempting to hit him and no other passenger.

How can that possibly make sense? How are you able to argue that when he exited the car and assumed a two handed stance that his intent was only to kill Davis, whom he hit with his first volley; and not the other passengers?

That's what you're doing. I'd argue you have a subjective filter on this, but I doubt I'd believe you if you denied it.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I'm arguing that there could be a dispute for the following reason. In the first volley of shots, several of the jurors basically believed him. He was reasonably and truly afraid for his life. Maybe those guys were coming out of the car after him. So he needed to fire in order to defend himself from imminent danger. So, versus the people who think Dunn's actions were unjustified, the jury is hung on the murder charge.

In the second volley of shots, the car was fleeing. He can't feel fear, because no one is even trying to come after him. But he keeps firing. The jurors could all agree that this was excessive and illegal. But what was he doing at this point? Firing a missile into a motor vehicle and shooting recklessly into a car, including at individuals he never had any confrontation with. Those would be the four things he was actually convicted of.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Transferred intent -- if you intended to kill one person and had premeditated malice but hit another instead, your intent carries over. It's still first degree murder if it would've been considered first degree murder for person X.

Correct -- that is literally what SYG means. It means that the house is no longer the only place where one doesn't have a duty to retreat before resorting to self defense.

Basically your castle travels with you.

I only have the barest outlines of the facts of the case, but I think it actually is possible for the second volley to be considered first degree when the first volley isn't. Premeditation can take mere seconds -- the briefest thought is enough time. It's possible for the first set of shots to be self defense of some sort while the followup could be considered a premeditated act of malice. Whether it's true or not I have no idea, but it is possible.

I don't know what you mean about his knowledge of SYG having an impact on the reasonableness of his actions. Are you saying that because SYG exists, someone is more likely to think that opening fire is acceptable? The thing is, we have two different issues here for self-defense: the apprehension of imminient danger is subjective -- that's where the D's state of mind comes in -- but his response to that is objective, the reasonable person standard. So your question isn't whether or not SYG made him think that he could use the gun, but whether SYG made a reasonable Floridian think they could use deadly force? And I don't know whether that's a tenable argument.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    More; in Florida, a person could form the reasonable view that discharging a firearm at someone they believed intended them harm would be consistent with self-defence provisions under Florida law. Especially when someone was permitted by law to carry a concealed and loaded firearm on their persons (and therefore would be in a position to act without thinking through their actions).

Therefore, the circumstances under which Mr Dunn could reasonably claim to have felt threatened justified, legally (though in my personal view, not morally or ethically), his use of force.

In a jurisdiction without an analogous SYG statute, such actions would not be legally defensible. Similar, in countries without the idiocy of the 2nd amendment, I would argue that a loaded firearm would strongly hint at premediation. But enough on how terrible your country is.

In simple terms, based on the statutory framework, he thought he was doing a legally sound thing.

Wocky, the second volley of shots can not be ruled to happen devoid of fear. The man would absolutely be a fight or flight situation and if we take it he felt fear - mostly because I doubt we could prove he did not - then I would allow that he felt fear when assuming a two handed grip and continuing to fire.

But I would argue that taking steps to improve accuracy are in fact more deadly than a random and restricted spray of rounds from the front left hand side of a Volkswagen sedan. I don't know what the SUV looks like in the flesh but I can make estimations based on dimensions - it seems from the Rolling Stone article that the back seat door did not stop the rounds but the front passenger side door did. Again, makes it hard to conceive of a mens rea when a random act stopped one set of bullets but not another.

Your argument more and more feels like "black kid gets shot by white racist; of course it must be premeditated."

22. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

essentially florida is a state full of gun-toting hermit crabs

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think your loaded firearm thing might make sense evidentially for intent, but I don't think SYG enters reasonability because mistake of law is not a defense. If Bob doesn't know that theft is illegal and he steals your laptop, he's still guilty. Mistake of fact might be a defense -- if he thought it was his -- but not mistake of law.

Knowledge of SYG doesn't transform an unreasonable use of force into a reasonable one. Moreover, that he was threatened is only one thing: being threatened allows a response, but the degree of threat determines the proportionality of that response.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Ender, your arguments feel more and more like a combination of 1)flailing around about a statute you don't know well and can't admit you didn't know and 2)making random accusations of bias on my part.

Of the two of us, I've been much more frank about the possibility that our judgments can be influenced by non-objective factors. Once again, I'm forced to remind you that you're the only person who claims that your opinion represents some sort of absolute truth. In this particular given two different sets of targets (one Jordan Davis, with whom he argued; the other, 3 passengers with whom he did not) and two different sets of bullets, it's not really difficult to build distinctions. I don't think pointing that out is evidence of some failure of objectivity on my part.

As to your specific response about the fight or flight instinct, one must feel a reasonable fear. His pause gave him time to re-evaluate the situation. The fleeing vehicle was clear evidence he was no longer under attack. It is enormously harder to call something that happens reasonable after that fact than before it.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, self defense requires imminent threat of bodily harm: if the danger has faded, so has the defense of self-defense.