main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Kanan (watch out for puns)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Feb 15, 2014.

1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    A "shoot first, ask questions later" approach. The Jedi need to be antiheroes, in all honesty; even though their cause might be based on good intentions, the Rebels are an insurgency (i.e terrorists) and do engage in immoral acts. Hopefully, the show builds this theme.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    For the moment I have no sympathy for this character along the other characters of this show. I am still waiting the thing that make me want to watch Star Wars Rebels.

3. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm excited by the opportunities a show set during the 'dark times' has to move away from some of the Jedi-heavy stories we've been steeped in over the last decade, or so. And I say this as a fan of the Jedi/Force, more than any other element in SW.

But that said, I really like the idea behind Kanan. The chance to explore an Order 66 survivor living during this time, with all of the conflict and dramatic possibilities it presents, is just too good to pass up. I find what little we've heard of Kanan so far, that of a conflicted former Jedi who has taken up the gun, to be promising. To see Kanan make the fateful decision to take up his lightsaber once again, after years keeping it locked away, should prove dramatic. Watching as Jarrus begins to have his spirit reawakened, no doubt through leading his crew and mentoring young Ezra, sounds like a promising arc for his character.

His character design is simple, clean. And like I said, he looks quite a lot like I did in my twenties, so maybe I was predisposed to like him, anyway. :D

Darth Chiznuk and Revanfan1 like this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I won't. Why can't we just have Das Jennir and not some knock-off character? New isn't better, all the time.

5. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    He is too old. Yes, too old to star on Disney XD.

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    [face_laugh]

7. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    It appears Kanan will sometimes sport a funky-looking breath mask, a breast-plate, and what might be a jetpack, from the Toy Fair action figure:

[​IMG]

If that is a jetpack, I'm wanting more than ever to see Kanan in action! From the pics we see of Sabine, though, she doesn't appear to wear one, but I wouldn't be surprised if she kept one under lock-and-keep as opposed to on her person at all times, like Death Watch in TCW.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Are they finally going to do this scene?

[​IMG]

That's the first thing the breath mask made me think of. Not necessarily Kanan against Vader, but Kanan with the breath mask lightsaber dueling.

9. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Replace Luke with Kanan and Vader with the Inquisitor wearing his helmet, and the corridor with the Ghost, and we've got a kriffing awesome fight scene!

10. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

Seriously could it be any more Jewish? Is Jedi Moses going to show up by parting the Dead Nebula Sea while shouting something in Yiddoshi? Before anyone whines anything, it's just so overt. Be honest. I knew this would happen, but man...

11. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    Because this way we get a cool character *like* Jennir without ******* with his character and story like TCW did with Vos.

...what? The only thing that's even remotely Jewish is Ezra's name. Not sure where you're getting the idea that everything's Jewish from, or why that's somehow a reason to panic.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  12. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

I think Jedifirefly's also referring to Kanan (which is similar to the biblical region - canaan)....I had the same reaction as you though, Contessa - I don't see how one name that sounds like a biblical region and another that originates in the bible makes the show overtly Jewish by any means...kind of a ridiculous claim IMO.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  13. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    It appears that Kanan indeed has a darker skin and bit latino -look. That's fine, in those first pictures he appeared rather white, but toys etc. tell that he is supposed to be darker than average anglo american which is fine. I'm still disappointed that they had to make jedi character who is human....

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm really starting to like their appearances; glad Rebels are going for unorthodox appearance. A little hint of a bounty hunter-esque feel to Kanan. I likes it.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. I wish TCW had used a knock-off character for Barriss Offee.

I'm fine with a cool character like Jennir.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  16. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    I like the idea of Order 66 flashbacks, especially since it looks like we'll never see Order 66 from the TCW perspective. Probably makes more sense to incorporate flashbacks into the body of the season rather than shoehorn a long prologue into a series premier that needs to introduce a whole new cast of characters.

I feel in retrospect that TCW could have done alot with flashbacks but didn't. What with Obi-wan and Satine's history, Obi-wan and Anakin's back story, etc. The only flashback that I can even remember in the whole series was Ventress flashing back when she was getting healed by Talzin, and that flashback was done quite well. Hopefully Rebels does better. Kannan's character just begs for Order 66 flashbacks.

17. Rauno

Rauno Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2013
    I need to see more of him before i can judge the character.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Tapatalk 2

18. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Grrr!!! Could be really great on the show (especially if, as Tarkas mentioned, it points to the realization of the famous McQuarrie work), but the fact that it's limited to 5 POA really spoils it as a figure for me!

edit: Anyway, the more I see of Kanan, the more I like him.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  19. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    A little more description:

Kanan Jarrus was a Human male Jedi Padawan who survived Order 66. Going into hiding, he forsook the Jedi ways for some time, swapping his blue-bladed lightsaber for a blaster. Eventually, he would come to command the VCX-100 light freighter Ghost several years before the Battle of Yavin. While cocky and often sarcastic, Jarrus was eager to help out and fight the Galactic Empire. Around 5 BBY, Jarrus met Ezra Bridger, a fourteen-year-old Force-sensitive Human, whom he decided to mentor.

20. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Kark yes.

21. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Yeah, that breath mask accessory looks as though it may only be for the 12-inch version.

The 5 points of articulation doesn't really bother me and I'm game for getting the entire crew of the Ghost, but I'm only game if Hasbro makes a Ghost (and it was said in a Q&A from Toy Fair that they were seriously considering it); and makes it in either the Kenner Millennium Falcon size, or the 2010 (or whenever) BMF size. Anything other than that and I'll just pass on the whole line.

As an aside: Rebels could be my first purchase of a Star Wars toy since I was 10 and the Empire Strikes Back. And I say 10 because back when the Clone Wars actions figures came out I remember looking at the action figure archives on Rebelscum and seeing the Return of the Jedi figures and having no memory whatsoever of owning any of those; I guess it was because I was 13 when Jedi came out and was past my action figure phase. I know I had Empire figures, and of course for a New Hope I know that I bought a Darth Vader and Stormtrooper back in '78 with my very first allowance.

Anyway, as for Kanan and the Ralph McQuarrie breath mask: Sideshow is going to have a line of 1/6 scale Ralph McQuarrie figures and I know that I will definitely be all over that. I've always loved the McQuarrie stuff, and I've always wanted to get into the Sideshow line, but they've never had anything that I liked enough to justify the price, that of course has now changed. So while Hasbro may fall short, I'll still get my "McQuarrie Luke with the breath mask" thanks to Sideshow.

And while I'm at it, the Tamashii Nations C-3PO is something that I want too, but I'm waiting for them to officially say that they're making an R2 to go along with him before I pull the $350 trigger on that.

And of course whatever Sideshow (and Hot Toys, I guess) does for Episode VII and beyond I'll get.

And... yep, that's my story. :cool:

Oh, and I'm really liking Kanan, too. I think he's going to be my favorite, followed closely by Sabine. And looking forward to the Rebels Visual Guide in July to learn more about him.

And so concludes my wish list post.

EDIT: I was going to add something else but never mind.

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Wait a minute, wait a minute... Maybe I'm missing something here.

What do you mean by "I knew this would happen"? Because I know you don't mean "Star Wars is now owned by a media empire, so everything sounds Jewish..."

Contessa, EHT and Revanfan1 like this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hate to tell you this after you formulated such a well thought-out argument, but Moses parted the Red Sea, not the Dead Sea. ;)

24. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I think you may be right.

God bless you for that, because it drives me bonkers! Though I'd have preferred a realistic look for the figures (so they could co-exist with the rest of my collection without sticking out like a sore thumb), I could have lived with the animated look for the figures. But the five POA is another story. The problem is that even though I don't play with the figures, I do like to display them in dynamic poses that are impossible to achieve with such limited articulation.

Hasbro said that they wanted to have realistic/SA figures on the shelves, but Lucasfilm wouldn't allow it. I suppose Lucasfilm has it's reasons for that, but it was a big disappointment for me. Hasbro did say, however, that they have designs on producing them eventually, so I will be patient.

I'm really hopeful that Hasbro will release a big Ghost in the near future, as well. Their quote about there being no big vehicles in 2014, but that the possibility exists for 2015, makes me think there may be one on it's way, too. They are releasing a Phantom, and pictures of the undercarriage of that ship shows what looks to be a system for docking with another toy (and we all know the Phantom is docked in the Ghost in some pictures).

That's cool. :)

Myself, I hadn't picked up any SW action figures since the end of Kenner's ROTJ line back in the early 80s. It was with the introduction of The Vintage Collection in 2010 (with it's return to that eye-catching classic Kenner packaging) that I decided to pick up a Death Star II Luke. Wow, was I blown away at the advances in these little guys since I had last purchased one! I fell in love with the modern figures, with their beautiful sculpts and terrific articulation, and started a modest collection of my own that very day.

I got into Sideshow when they unveiled their Mythos line Obi-Wan Kenobi statue. It's gorgeous! I also picked up the Mythos Boba Fett. In fact, a nice-looking Captain Rex in Phase II armor is going up for pre-order this very day. I'm thinking very hard about making it my third Sideshow purchase.

I remember when word of this one first dropped. That C-3PO looks incredible.

Oh yes, I'm very excited for what both Hasbro and Sideshow will have in store for us once the Episode VII floodgates begin to open.

I'd forgotten about that visual guide.

Yes, to bring it all back around to the original topic, the more I think about it, the more I'm really intrigued by Kanan and how his relationship with Ezra will unfold. I'm a very, very big fan of all things Mando, and Zeb looks like a lot of fun, so I'm looking forward to both he and Sabine (and I'm curious what we'll learn about Hera in her video), but that "Jedi passing on his teachings to the next generation" thing really strikes deep at the heart of SW, and with Kanan struggling with keeping his Jedi past buried vs. the call to teach Ezra and help others sounds really promising to me.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    o_O :p