main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Star Wars Rebels teaser trailers

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by phatdude1138, Feb 17, 2014.

1. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    You know, I think we should just start posting this picture whenever we see a hateful comment that doesn't make a good point or is just mindless bashing.
    [​IMG]
    Actual comments and criticisms make for good discussion, but the facebook page...is not that. I wonder how long it would take me to get banned from the page. :p I might not be willing to see.

EDIT: Hmm. Maybe just once a post will do. I've got this all figured out. Come at me Facebook!

Granger likes this.
  2. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I loved these trailers. I like the more classic animation style, the little bit we saw of the planet was rooted in a McQuarrie-esque setting, there were TIE fighters and the show looked fun. Everything I saw seemed like an upgrade compared to past SW animation and I have enjoyed all of the past animation in its own time. I'm surprised that the reactions here are so negative.

By the way, side rant here...fun is the new dark, or at least I hope it will be. For years every movie franchise has been reinvented darker and grittier until it all just feels the same and very depressing. Avengers came out and was actually fun and it made about 999 billion dollars because people want to have fun again. People will overlook some imperfections if your movie is fun to spend time with. Star Wars was extremely fun in its day and wasn't taken so seriously. I really hope that Rebels and other future SW content places a strong emphasis on being fun. So far I like what I've seen of Rebels.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I know it's intentional- but those tie:s have just too small solar panels[face_beatup]

I try to get over that.... maybe they are different earlier model or something...

I think that animation is not final in those clips. Otherwise pretty star warsy trailers.

4. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I like how the trailers said "All it takes is a single spark".Reminds me of the Old Republic trailer.

5. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The reason it looks "very Disney" is because, erm, it is Disney.

6. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Well said. People seem to actually WANT Rebels and anything Disney SW related to fail. The only reason I can fathom as to why is so they can wave their arms and go, "YOU SEE? YOU SEE?! LUCAS KNEW WHAT HE WAS DOING ALL ALONG!!! MISS HIM YET?!" And that's rather petty if you ask me. Especially since I get enough childish pettiness out of this franchise from GL himself with his refusal to release the theatrical versions of the OT properly.

7. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I agree. I want Rebels to succeed because if it does, hopefully it'll breed more SW content. Woohoo!

8. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    George hasn't gone anywhere, everyone is still consulting him. And for the moment, on the Lucasfilm side, he left his personally selected & groomed Capo Regime in place. If Rebels is demonstrating one thing it's how close Filoni & Lucas are in taste: Filoni clearly loves Jedi, this would have been a golden opportunity to get away from the Jedi/Force mythology but it looks like Filoni can't get enough it. It looks like Rebels will flow more naturally from the Prequel Era than we thought.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have defended Lucas in the past, but I think in the past several years he's taken the entire franchise too seriously and has thought that just making a fun movie or TV show was beneath him. He wanted his work viewed the way young Indiana Jones viewed the Cross of Coronado: "That belongs in a museum!"

Some of the worst decisions that Filoni has been maligned for in TCW were actually Lucas' fault (although Lucas did want Ahsoka killed off).

Ironically enough, Lucas did a better job making classic movies worthy of archiving in the Library of Congress when he made fun a priority.

Disney seems more interested in fun than Deep Thoughts (not the SNL version) and this is a good thing.

Lucas just may have pulled a Brody and gotten lost in his own museum.

10. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I think what people are complaining about is, compared to how awesome visually TCW was becoming by the time it ended, this looks like a step down because it's an entirely new animation style in itself. I think it'll grow on us. And who really cares if the animation isn't great, if the story is amazing? For all we know, Rebels could destroy TCW in the story department in terms of consistent quality.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That wouldn't exactly be difficult to do.

12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I dunno. Given just how many of Lucas' ideas for TCW and Star Wars in general were a result of his random whims, I often find myself wishing Lucas WOULD take his work more seriously. Not to mention that GL's sense of humor involves Jar Jar antics and idiotic droid "comedy."

Oh, that brings me to another point. I really hope there's less slapstick in SWR. The humor in ANH and ESB had a certain snappy wit to them that ROTJ and especially the PT lacked and that bled into TCW way too much. I hope the humor in SWR is more character focused and dialog driven this time around.

13. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    Let's keep things in perspective though. A person turning to the dark side and all that entails with it. The series was gonna get dark and to a certain extent it wasn't going to be a fun ride to see a person do some of the things Anakin did. The OT didn't have that problem because Luke's journey was the hero path and not one of darkness. The OT lacked a little depth in the consequences department, because nobody really got hurt, other than a few limbs. The only people that died were mostly pilots and a lot of storm troopers who couldn't aim very well.

All that being said, I hope there's a little tragedy mixed in with a lot fun so that the series has a little weight to it. Even in a lot of fairy tales there's some serious danger going on.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't mind slapstick but I definitely agree as far as the humor being dialogue driven.

As far as the random whims, I took those as a sign that Lucas took himself too seriously as Monsieur Grande Artiste and assumed that it was more important to make Ye Olde Opéra Tragique, have Anakin and Padme half a nanosecond from using "thee" and "thou", and wow us all with Teh Ultimate Detective Noir for TCW finale than to maintain any sort of continuity with stories he had told in the past.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I don't want the series to fail. On the contrary, I want more Star Wars *and* I hope that the series will cover topics and feature characters I like so I'll have a good reason to watch it (and not just because of the 'Star Wars' label). Additionally, my Disney animation collection is rather extensive. I'm willing to let them surprise me in a positive way, but being sceptical always saved me from being shattered when it didn't work out. Believe me or not, but I was sceptical of TCW as well (started to watch the series more by accident), and boy, did they go out of their way to please me.Why do I believe that I won't get as much satisfaction out of Rebels?
    Because:
    • The Rebellion as a faction never interested me, I even disliked those guys back in '77
    • There's too much focus on the 'rebellious' part of the cast as presented so far (which would be logical since the 'Rebels' are the protagonists. See above).

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  16. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I can't get over how Ezra looks either like Aladdin or Prince of Persia. Same difference. :p

Not going to judge the teaser trailers overly harsh, but they certainly did nothing to get me excited about the series.

Bad_Feeling likes this.
  17. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    FYI, Weisman is a writer, not an animator, so I think the look of the animation is mainly still handled by Filoni and his team. The difference now is all stages of animation are offshore in Taiwan, but also I think they wanted to go towards a more animated, rounded look for the characters, i.e. less wooden and angular.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Filoni is a good animator. I'm not worried.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  19. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Interesting to note that they said the first episode was complete in a Star Wars Insider update several weeks back. If these shots are from that first episode, this may be pretty close to the final product.

20. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

Taiwan? I thought the animation was being done at Lucasfilm's Singapore Campus - "The Sandcrawler?"

EDIT:
    I'm pretty sure this is the final product - especially since a cast/srew member recently said they had "finished" half of the 1st season already. (I think it was Freddie Prinze Jr. at Toyfare?)

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Nope, CGCG is the animation vendor in Taiwan that 2/3 of all their Clone Wars stuff went to, only 1/3 was done in Singapore by Lucasfilm. CGCG is just more built up and experienced so they could do more of it. For Rebels, I know Filoni said that its all being worked on by CGCG in Taiwan, probably for the sake of speed. So in some ways they have that as a consistent animation house.

One huge difference though is almost all of the animation pipeline that was in the US was eliminated in the layoffs a year ago. They didn't do final animation but did other stages which included the digital storyboarding and layout, which would then go offshore for animation. CGCG would ship it back to the US for the final lighting, FX, post-production, and sound. Now that the US team is very small, it seems it goes straight from concept art in the US, then to an old school hand drawn storyboard which you'll see in the Rebels behind the scenes videos. I believe they take that straight into animation and they send some of the very few US team overseas like Keith Kellogg to help the CGCG crew accomplish that. Joel Aron is still involved with lighting/FX but I believe he works with the Taiwan crew on that now. So they are saving some bucks by sending even more of the work offshore.

Lucasfilm Singapore's projects remain mysterious, now that the Clone Wars is over, they don't have any of that, but I know they were supposed to be working on a non-Star Wars animated feature for a while now that involved "Fairies" i.e. tinker bell type creatures. Not sure the status of that or anything else they're doing, but I know they are active since they just opened that new facility. Maybe potential for more animated series in the future?

22. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    Ahhh...gotcha, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Maul: Your assertion is flawed. The implied toll of the OT death count is catastrophic. I doubt the DS' were barely manned. They also would have more than troopers or pilots. None of the SW films convey much consequences. They hint at them but they never *deal* with it for anyone. This is one of the biggest failing of the entire Saga to me.

As far as Rebels goes: I don't want it to fail I just fear it will. I don't think war should be presented as kid-friendly fun and it looks like it will be just like TCW. Presenting adult issues but I doubt they'll give the topics the weight they deserve.

24. Darth Maul Apprentice

Jan 27, 2014
    I was referring to the main actors. I should have been more clear. That's one of the things I liked about The Walking Dead, before I got bored with the show and stopped watching it. You never knew what was gonna happen and who would bite it. I agree SW plays it a little to safe at times.

25. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Jan 6, 2013
    I agree...war shouldn't be presented as kid-friendly fun. But I very much disagree w/ your claim that TCW did that. Re-watch Landing at Point Rain and the Umbara arc and tell me that looks anything less than violent, brutal and heavily portrayed with consequences.