main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    This topic again?

Well, then let me just emphasis once again that many neutral powers in World War 2 were pretty blatantly supporting one side or another.

Sometimes, it isn't about evidence or fairness or anything like that, and is instead how much you don't want to piss off the so-called neutrals.

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm willing to accept it as the end result, as it does make a degree of sense... but it was definitely a change in tone compared to 'both' EU and film portrayal, and George has even taken it a bit too far by suddenly insisting on things like the droid control ships no longer being seen with the separatist fleet, or not carrying the separatist mark.

Really, it's just a loose end I'm hoping gets dealt with on some level before the show bows out. You don't have to have the 'entire' corporate alliance turn, but let's see the radical elements get desperate enough that it makes perfect sense to see them on the front lines in ROTS.

Plus I just wanna see some damn Seppie council members who aren't in prison, gosh darn it.

3. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

To be fair, this is probably the most on-topic we've been in a while.

You and me both.

AdmiralWesJanson and darthosaka like this.
  4. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Because it goes against everything AotC and the EU said on the matter.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The AoTC novelization had one or two of the representatives saying to Dooku "We won't support you openly, but we'll support you in secret".

JoinTheSchwarz and darthosaka like this.
  6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

AotC showed Nute Gunray signing a treaty on Geonosis with a bunch of Techno Union battle droids lying in wait and a handful of core ships parked outside. Nothing in the movie indicated that the entire Trade Federation pledged their complete and open support to the Separatists. You might be forgiven for assuming so, but after thinking about it for a bit you'll find that it makes much more sense the way TCW played it, for reasons I've stated more than once and which you haven't responded to.

The EU says a lot of things. Like that Nute Gunray saw Jedi in action before Episode I, or that the Naboo and Gungans fought a large scale war against each other within living memory, or that the Rule of Two was only established after the Sith were thought to be wiped out, or that Darth Plagueis was killed while conscious but in a drunken stupor instead of while asleep.

Iron_lord, Gamiel and darthosaka like this.
  7. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Nothing TCW did makes any sense.

8. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Of course it's obvious to us as viewers/readers that the Trade Federation supported the CIS, but that's because we are given an inside view of everything. In-universe it would not be so obvious to the average person or, more importantly, from a legal or political standpoint.

darthosaka likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Well, it is your opinion; I don't share it and found many things in tCW to make sense. We will have to agree to disagree on this question [face_peace]

DigitalMessiah and darthosaka like this.
  10. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This thread is so fun.

darthosaka likes this.
  11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't see any good in TCW, beyond things like the Subjugator-class heavy cruiser and the Haven-class medical station, because I would rather cling to things like the Tantive IV being in RotS (instead of being replaced by the Sundered Heart because of its appearance in one episode of TCW), the Duel on the Invisible Hand being Anakin and Dooku's first full-fledged encounter since the Battle of Geonosis, and the timeline of the multimedia project than to embrace anything TCW did. Lucas had the PT and the multimedia project to get it "right" and seemed to believe it was right, so TCW is simply too late to the party.

12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    It's like Groundhog day in here, sometimes.

RC-1991, darthosaka, COMPNOR and 3 others like this.
  13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Sometimes?

RC-1991 and darthosaka like this.
  14. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I agree with Zeta on the neutrality thing. It made sense in the old pre-TCW EU when only the Banking Clan was doing it, because they're Swiss they're they ones who were backing the currency on both sides. Now everybody's doing it? The running excuse is "they're businesses and can play both sides" etc etc. But sit back and think about that logically. How does that work? The Techno Union and TF can sell weapons to both sides? What the hell? And nobody complains about it? Even the IBC thing went overboard in TCW. That one banking clan dude was like, "oh, we just backed the Seps with a bazilion credit fund. Suckers." Right in Bail and Padme's faces! I mean I know politicians and businessmen can be total asses, but this casual "yeah we're totally backing both sides" with nobody ever even commenting on it is just ridiculous.

15. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    All the time is some of the time, too.

darthosaka likes this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    [HER:] They say we're young and we don't know
    We won't find out until we grow
    [HIM:] Well I don't know if all that's true
    'Cause you got me, and baby I got you

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Welcome to real life.

Thanks a lot IBM. And Filoni.

Gamiel and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  18. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    But people IN REAL LIFE actually complain about this stuff. In TCW, nobody's saying anything. It's because they've simplified the plot without actually getting into the real politics of the situation.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    What about the CIS using Trade Federation droids and ships, hmmm?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm not sure what you want. I don't want to see Padme and Bail yell at a Muun for twenty minutes.

Anyway, I thought the Trade Federation was a shipping magnate, not arms dealers. They ship the weapons in but don't sell them.

I kinda got the impression that planets which weren't self sufficient were reliant on that sort of thing, and their blockade of Naboo (blockade implies warfare Lucas) was more a refusal to ship in supplies Naboo requires. And they can get away with blockading Naboo or Pantora with impunity because no one else can ship in the bulk that they do.

But I have to admit I'm pretty ignorant about how the EU handles the logistics of this sort of stuff and I'm just going by the broad strokes of the films and TCW and what they imply.

darthosaka likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why would a blockade implies warfare?
    Also, I would say that the Trade federations blockade of Naboo worked the same way as old time navy blockades

darthosaka likes this.
  22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Blockades are acts of war, which is why Kennedy never called the US Navy surrounding Cuba that during the Cuban missile crisis.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    They have also been used as act of protest

darthosaka likes this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Companies sell their products. That is what they do. By definition.

darthosaka likes this.
  25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003

They could have at least... had a reaction? Any reaction at all? It was basically shrugged off. I mean I know Padme's a sucky politician who doesn't pay her handmaidens enough to have running water, but sheesh -- Palpatine could have told her he was Sids and I bet she wouldn't have done anything.

Also the TF definitely deals in weapons. In the open. For instance, they run Baktoid Armor Workshop who make all the tanks and whatnot.