main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series "I've got a bad feeling about this" - Your fears for the show

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    While yes, I do believe the movies are predominantly a form of kids' entertainment, I would still argue that TCW is even more child-friendly than the films are. If you want to discuss this further you could message me, or even start a thread about TCW's perception as a children's show (I'm pretty sure there was a thread like that on the temp boards). Either way I don't want to go into this here and derail this thread.

2. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Disneyfication.

Ani501st and Darkslayer like this.
  3. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Describe "Disneyfication." What would make a show seem Disney-fied to you which TCW didn't already exhibit?

Because no matter what you describe, I will give you at least ten exceptions.

Face it: Disney no longer has a single unifying tone in the content they produce. 'Disneyfication" is a fallacious illusion which one can choose to see in anything one wants. If one didn't know that TCW was made by Lucasfilm Animation for Cartoon Network, one could make the claim that TCW was "Disneyfied."

Dra---, TaradosGon, Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Too many to list

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Lucas lack of involvement did not stop "retcons" and "inconsistent characterization" from appearing all over the EU

Darthgoodguy, purplerain and Vthuil like this.
  6. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Is anyone else a bit worried about the direction of this show and it stepping on things from the OT?

Meaning, this is presumably 15 years after EP III and about 5 years before ANH. Jedi are suppose to be extinct, and now we have this rogue jedi-like guy running around, with a lightsaber no less, fighting the Empire? Then you have the Inquisitor stepping on Darth's toes and wielding lightsabers.

I always imagined that by the time ANH came around, jedi were LONG gone and dead and the fact that luke didnt even know what a lightsaber was that they weren't seen nor heard of by anyone in years. And the force was something no one really knew about either.

Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you...

Ben hands Luke the saber.
    LUKE: What is it?
    BEN: Your fathers lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.

LUKE: The Force?
    BEN: Well, the Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy
    field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us.
    It binds the galaxy together

TARKIN: The Jedi are extinct, their fire has gone out of the universe.
    You, my friend, are all that's left of their religion.

-CH

EHT, stormcloud8 and purplerain like this.
  7. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    That it'll get cancelled before the planned series finale.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    After seeing how quick some people were to flip out over the trailers, I'm now even more worried then I was about nonsensical complaints coming to dominate fan opinion of the show.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    This is true.

It only gets annoying when the trolls jokes are ten years late.
    :p

Dra--- and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  10. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Based on the trailers, I fear everything about this show.

Most of all, I fear the abundance of force users in a time when that "ancient religion" should not be seen anymore. So, the two main characters are going to die before the OT? Otherwise, the last of the Jedi, Luke is not.

Ahsoka's survival undermined the Anakin storyline, and the survival of the Rebels force users into the OT timeline will undermine Luke's. Just stop interfering Filoni, please. Ugh.

clone3131 likes this.
  11. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    QFT.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh, that doesn't matter. If I like the show as much as I think I'm going to based on the two trailers, I'll pee glittery rainbows and fart sunshine all over every episode review thread.

Let people dislike it. Who cares? I've got good snarky dialogue to listen to, TIEs blowing up and (hopefully) Kanan's ass to watch, and wine to drink.

DanielUK likes this.
  13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Oh hell, it's the "Yoda said LAST!" thing again.

I don't really get why some people so staunchly defend the likely-half-delirious words of a dying man, like some sort of sacred cow.

A dying man who had been wrong about a whole bunch of things before. If an officer on Vader's bridge screwed up half as much as Yoda did, he'd soon earn a Force-choke.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I just feel like the whole hissy fit falls apart if the discussion turns to what the definition of a "Jedi" Is....b/c for all intents and purposes, Luke was the last "Jedi" of the Old Jedi Order, trained by the Grand Master and another Jedi Council member of that Order, in the ways and philosophies of that order, whom chose, despite the risks to maintain living the lifestyle of the "Jedi" of that Order and thus passed it all on to Luke. Unless you have a character who is still living the lifestyle of a Jedi, practicing their Jedi religion day-in and day-out, carrying out the deeds and expectations of a Jedi (such as focusing on the mysteries of the force and protecting the meek when possible), then you don't have a "Jedi," IMO...show me someone like this who survives through the OT, and I'll agree that its "interfering" and "wrong." But so far, I haven't seen anyone who fits this description in Rebels.....

Dra--- and Circular Logic like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I hope it is not to kiddish.

16. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    So I know I said I had no fears at all about this show, but...apparently I was wrong.

I'm afraid that for the entire time Rebels is around people are going to take every single line of OT dialogue 100% absolutely serious and nonstop complain about the fact that there are any Jedi/Force-users alive at all in the entire enormous ******* galaxy's 200 *billion* star systems because two dudes who've been shown to be *super* wrong about stuff said there aren't any. I'm afraid that people are going to constantly whine about how everybody's not dead yet because ANH is coming and if anybody does anything interesting at all before super special Luke Skywalker comes along, Star Wars will be ruined forever. I'm afraid that anything even remotely funny or cute or not centered around a **** ton of good guys getting slaughtered and planets getting BDZ'd (even if it's actually good and enjoyable by itself) is going to get hammered over and over and over again for not being right for Teh Dark Timez. I'm afraid that every teeny tiny perceived imperfection is going to be a case of Disney ******* us big time because Disney really just hates everything and everyone.

(lol Guess who's getting zero likes for this?)

17. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    I too don't understand what's with the Disney hate. Just like Star Wars, Disney's most popular productions have been labeled as family entertainment that can be enjoyed by youth and adults alike!

I think too many people just vomit their knee-jerk reactions all over social media because the first thing they associate Disney with are ridiculous-looking cartoon mice with funny voices and princesses. I'm sure there are plenty outsiders to Star Wars who assume that its just stupid Sci-Fi with ridiculous-looking aliens with funny voices.

And I mean, its not like Disney isn't capable of action, romance, good vs. evil, and epicness. Look at Pirates of the Caribbean! Look at Mulan! I mean, have some of you even seen Mulan?

That's some awesome shiznit right there! Plus, the people actually developing and creating the show worked on the Clone Wars, oftentimes very closely with George Lucas. Dave Filoni knows the essence of Star Wars! He knows that it contains action, violence and often darkness and death along with romance and hope. He's not an idiot, and Star Wars isn't a violent, grimdark creation devoid of any laughter or happiness that must contain all sorts of gore and cussing. Star Wars was never that!

Now, I can understand the fear of the unknown, fearing that because of Disney, Star Wars is going to stray from its original formula and become something unrecognizable. This is honestly more in response to all the haters that I have seen on other mediums like YouTube and Facebook. I just had to get it out. So to those people; I can't fathom some of the venomous reactions you have been having lately. Are you all just insecure or something? Afraid of becoming a kid again and trying to compensate by stating you enjoy only "mature" content?

Bah! I've spoken my spiel!

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To quibble with this, I don't think you need to be a dialogue literalist zealot to feel that having other "Jedi" around sort of diminishes Luke.

But I think that ship sailed a long time before Rebels, frankly. Kanan is very much in the tradition of the so-called "Classic Star Wars" material that I'm basing my expectations for the show on, so I have no objections to him.

19. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

Luke's importance isn't due to the fact that he's a force-sensitive being. Its because he chose, in the face of huge adversity, to take the name of "Jedi," Confront Vader (and Palpatine), and reforge the "old ways." Yoda tells him he won't be a Jedi until he confronts Vader. You could see that as him saying he needs one more "test/trial" to pass...I see that as him saying that its useless to call yourself a Jedi unless you openly stand up to the forces of evil in the galaxy and decide to take action that results in toppling the dark side's grasp upon the galaxy. If we take Yoda's words seriously, a "Jedi" is not just something you become through force-sensitivity and training. In order to wear that title, you must embody the hope that lies at the heart of the light side and you must prove to others that this hope can succeed against all odds.

Yoda saw himself and Obi-wan as the last Jedi b/c, as far as he knew, they were the only ones to overtly stand up to Palpatine and Vader (in ROTS). But they failed and went into exile with the hope that someday, someone would come along and succeed. That is what makes Luke a Jedi. Thats why his importance can never be diminished. He stood up, he succeeded. I don't see Luke's role diminishing at all, unless we see Kanan or Ezra succeeding after saying "lets rebuild the Jedi Order and take on Vader and Palpatine!" We know this cannot happen - the extent of their victories will be the extent of Obi-wan and Yoda's victories against Palpatine and Vader. They will fail - they do not need to die, but they will fail and will thus, not be the hope that the Galaxy needed.

Dra--- and Circular Logic like this.
  20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I'm one of those people... I want all the Jedi to be gone. There should only a handful of Jedi around (half a dozen or so), in my opinion. For one, I think the slight-Force user/former Jedi class is entirely over-saturated. Second, I do think it diminishes Luke's achievements. He should be the only Jedi to fight against the Empire and get anything significant accomplished. Just my two cents/opinions.

Force Smuggler and stormcloud8 like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Unless someone else ends up redeeming Anakin, I'm not worried about Luke's accomplishments being undermined.

Dra--- and Contessa like this.
  22. venepe

venepe Jedi Master star 1

Feb 25, 2004
    I fear that the story and characters will be made in order to fit current trends, demographic advertisement, and perceived market opportunities. That is how Disney usually develops shows and movies.

Lucas in the other hand just wanted to tell his story and developed the show and technology in order to realize his vision. The marketing part came after. TCW is a good example, Lucas wanted to get into animation and set to make 100 episodes and develop the technology to make it cost effective. THEN look to see if a network would buy it.

Disney operates in the opposite direction. They do the market research first and develop the show to fit the results and make the greatest profit. Now, I think is a smart business move but I've always though Star Wars was more about the art of story telling (sure Lucas made money with licensing but that came AFTER he created his vision).

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    lol

24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Exactly.

People are entitled to their opinions, but one of the problems with opinions is when they become fossilized in such a way that possibilities diminish.

The only thing I fear for the show is that it doesn't receive enough fan support to last for a few seasons. Sometimes networks kills shows; other times the audience does.

25. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

Some great things have come from the Corporate-Creative partnership. I can tell you one thing... if CN had a say in the TCW content, there are a few widely-disliked arcs that probably wouldn't have made the cut. Anyway, market research is only a starting point, and a show doesn't happen unless there's a showrunner to run it. That means compromise; most writers won't risk damaging their career by ruining a beloved franchise. Sure, if somebody hops into Disney's pocket without giving a damn, that's bad news... but that's on the hack writer, not the executive sharks you already knew were there in the water, circling like they always do.

The thing people don't give Disney enough credit for is that they realize there's no such thing as a quick buck. You'll never find a cleaner public place with better customer service than their resorts. Yeah, they want your money, but they realize that the easiest way to get it is to give you good stuff for it. If something fails, it's not for lack of trying, and it might be the creatives who are to blame. The screenwriter Max Landis (who wrote Chronicle) has some great insight on this: a healthy creative/corporate relationship is crucial; people perceive the executives as the bad guys, but the fact is, they want to make something great just the same as the writers---they just don't have the same talent for it, and you can't expect them to. It's entirely on the creative team. Blaming creative failures on the executives is like blaming accounting errors on the animation team.