main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

they cant be that hard to make. remember john malkovich in in the line of fire? plus, like, 3-d printing

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Please do not buy into the 3D printing BS. It's incredibly difficult to make guns on a 3D printer, especially since many of the printers need a "stencil" (or other design pack of some sort) before it can print anything.

It can be done, but so can finding a golden ticket in a candy bar.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i also referenced a fictional movie from the 90s dawg

Jedi Merkurian and Ender Sai like this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I think at this stage, people would settle for less insanity with legal guns.

Plus your model promotes an escalation of armaments.

Banning guns is the best thing America could do.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Right, but people do try and bring it up as a valid point. Plus, I totally buy John Malkovich.

Just didn't want people who don't even lift to try and use it.

PS - I still don't know what that means.

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i dont know that that's necessarily a realistic solution given the current cultural milieau. i think significant social change is necessary to "de-escalate" the situation before an true ban can be considered.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

basically it just means if you dont lift how can you be expected to know anything

(lift as in lift weights. in a gym. with other bros)

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    What creates demand for illegal firearms?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    What does weightlifting have to do with knowledge? :p

10. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Gun ownership is inversely proportional to gun homicides:
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Govern...ow-U-S-High-In-Gun-Ownership-Low-In-Homicides

All gun control will do is skyrocket crime. Your average law-abiding citizen will be willing to give up their arms in gun control legislation passes, while the criminal won't care either way, will keep their guns, and then shoot up a mall or school or something because no one else there has something to fight back with. There was a story at the end of 2012 that the media covered up, in Oregon, a shooter was stopped by a man with a concealed carry permit: http://www.examiner.com/article/media-blackout-oregon-mall-shooter-was-stopped-by-an-armed-citizen

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You... read what Jedi Merkurian posted before, yes?

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Incorrect and offensively stupid.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    "the criminal"

14. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Did y'alls even look a the links I posted before shouting it down? At least I didn't go with Alex Jones links, then you'd REALLY be mad.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes, I perused the scholarly site breitbart.com.

Point Given and Rogue_Ten like this.
  16. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    guys the answer is more guns

17. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Ultimately gun control would prevent most mass shootings by crazy people. It wouldn't really do anything to stop organized crime or intelligent criminals however, they'll always have guns even if the penalty in the US for looking at a gun was immediate execution. But if you are just looking to stop mass shootings and idiots with guns then a complete ban of firearms is the only way to go.

It's really about the nation deciding what it wants. Does it want to be safe from mass shootings and accidental shootings? The price for that is disarmament and complete reliance on the police for protection. You can still be robbed, mugged, raped, burglarized. Only now you have no 'well at least I have a gun' thought to make you feel safe. Now you must now you are unarmed while that person is most likely armed with something. You trade one fear and one tragedy for another.

Does owning a gun actually make you safer? Not really, opposite in fact. But it makes the owner THINK they are safer. It makes them THINK if something bad happens they can defend themselves. It's psychological protection. You give a gun to a small 90 pound woman she feels safer, if she's confronted by a big 300 pound mugger with a knife, she feels like they are now equals. Doesn't matter how big or strong he is and how weak and small she is. She has a gun, guns kill small and large, weak and strong all the same. Now if she ever is confronted, the 300 pound mugger will always win. The woman doesn't have training and even if she did it wouldn't really matter. You can put a soldier in the same situation, the guy with surprise will always win.

Banning guns would prevent racial situations like the Trayvon Martin case and others. That's a plus. It would prevent mass shootings. That's a plus.

Ultimately the only real negatives are it would insure that criminals and possibly government personnel are the only armed people in the country. And that until people accept the truth that owning a gun/not owning a gun, if you are robbed, raped, etc... the result will always be the same. Owning a gun makes you feel safer, it does not make you safer.

Also banning guns except to say swat teams and making all other police unarmed would help decrease escalation. Hopefully criminals would just stick to pistols as that's all they would need to take down police or civilians then. No need to assault rifles if your only threat is a cop with a baton or a woman with some mace in her purse.

We would also need to figure out alternatives to hunting to eliminate animal populations and keep them in control. Hunting with firearms would be banned after all as well.

But to do this you would really need a full repeal of the second amendment. Honestly it might be easier to just repeal the entire constitution and replace it with a modern one.

But even with all those laws your still left with a culture that believes it has the right to use deadly force to defend ones life or property. Self defense laws will need to be rewritten. Any action resulting in another humans death has to be manslaughter. Doesn't matter if you were only defending yourself. If your life is in danger, run and call the authorities, if you can't run just do what they say and cooperate. If your property is in danger, run and call the authorities.

Killing another human has to be legally wrong EVERY time no matter the reason. I'm not saying if someone is butchering your family in front of you and you resist and you kill them you should stay in jail for the rest of your life. But it should stay on your record forever and you should be forced to undergo psychiatric treatment and rehabilitation for a time.

Get rid of the tools that let people kill, and remove all ways people can legally kill. Do that and a few generations from now Americans will be fixed.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    If only some other nations had data for examination on this!

Oh, but as I gnash my teeth in anguish I realise the US is the only country on earth.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i do that daily with regard to our shoddy excuse for a healthcare system

20. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

To repeat myself, a statewide study has shown the exact opposite to be true.
    Ah yes, "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will own guns." Okay...

If you outlaw underage driving, only outlaws will drive underage.
    If you outlaw embezzlement, only outlaws will embezzle.
    If you outlaw theft, only outlaws will steal.
    If you outlaw murder, only outlaws will murder.

The article I posted yesterday also points out that it's not homicides or crime in general that increased, but specifically there was an increase in guns recovered from criminals and crime scenes, as well as a specific increase in gun-related homicides. So that whole truism about "guns don't kill people, people kill people" goes out the window.

In a different vein, here's a bit about how even a slight restriction in access to means of suicide causes a drastic drop in suicide rates.

TKT, Juliet316 and yankee8255 like this.
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It feels like that site has gotten more whacko since Breitbart died.

But yes, I trust Jedi Merkurian, far more than I trust a study handed out by Breitbart's site.

Yeah, I mean it's not like Britain and Australia have banned guns and had a dramatic decrease in gun crime or anything.

Oh, wait.

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    There are some significant issues with that study, as discussed here. From that link:
    There are more details and links at the article itself.

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    If we ban guns, how will we stop those that would do us harm through random acts of healthcare?

24. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

That's true; the most dangerous enemy is the commie within your borders and in control of your healthcares.

In other news, I didn't wake up and fondle my gun. Nor did I need to take it and three backup weapons to work this morning. However will I keep me safe?

25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    When you make it easier to kill people, more people will be killed...and that's what gun proliferation does. That's just common sense.