main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Wait, teenage Mandolorian girls who are into spray painting graffiti? Geez. :rolleyes: The Rebels news is coming out fast now, which is cool, but to be honest I am feeling pretty "meh" about most of these characters so far... only exception to that at this point for me is Zeb, he could be pretty cool.

FRAGWAGON and rezpen like this.
  2. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    Well, to be fair, the graffiti artist angle is just one aspect of the character...
    ...blowing things up (with flair) is one of her primary characteristics.

So being a weapons expert who likes to blow up Imperial things is pretty rebellious.

3. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013

But "hard, stoic, strong female" characters are so boring! Same goes for men, too! It's been done so many times that it seems like a cop-out. Women can be strong without having to be unfeminine, too.

I'll use my sister as an example; she's very feminine and always dresses nice, fixes her hair, etc. But, if you anger her you'd best be careful. She will cut you down with a look, and then say something that will make you feel like the stupidest person on the planet. She's not submissive, or anything that people would say is a week character. Of course, she's never fought anyone in her life, and has never shot a gun. But, y'know what? She's a beautiful, funny, intelligent, and feisty blonde. And while she doesn't wear pink since it's not her color, she's not afraid to wear anything she likes.

I'm tired of this, "anything girly is weak" crap. It's not true in real life, and it shouldn't be true in media.

4. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

I'm excatly the opposite.

Maybe its because I grew up on the OT and not the PT, but the idea of a ship full of characters fighting the Empire (even in a small way), Jedi and the force being more....unique and special, a return to simplier "they are the good guys, these are the bad guys" story telling. I'm getting very excited for Rebels, much more so then I ever was for Clone Wars (before it started or between seasons).

InterestingLurker and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

...Yeah. That's how it works. I'm a writer, and I'd never make a critical analysis of a piece of literature by the dust jacket description. Or, put more simply, I would never judge a book by its cover.

You can have all the "impressions" you want, but that doesn't mean it's not foolish to let ads made by a totally different department color your experience with the actual show. If you sit there with your arms crossed challenging Rebels to defy your poor expectations, then it won't matter how good the show is... you will have ruined it for yourself, because nothing's perfect. It's always possible to find flaws if you go in with that mindset. That's the culture of consumer ratings; don't let that **** spoil you. This is a piece of pop culture that people have worked on passionately---not some cleaning product.

I don't say this to judge you, but only because I want people to enjoy things... and if they don't, I want them to arrive at their dissatisfaction honestly, legitimately, having gone in with an open mind and not sabotaging their own experience. For one thing, it's impossible to talk about the show with anyone whose viewpoint was skewed from the beginning.

Dra--- and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Not a fan of Sabine at all. I hope we don't get any more "funny" characters now. Two or so is enough, if the entire crew is "funny" I don't think I will like the show much.

Immortiss likes this.
  7. Vorennaal

Vorennaal Jedi Knight

Oct 9, 2010
    @Revanfan

Come and check Ukraine (I am from Hungary)...you will see some serious rebells, then you will understand how I mean it!

8. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013
    From Hera's picture on that card that was shown, it seems like she might be the Only Sane Man Woman of the group, and might play the straight man to everyone else. She looked very angry on that card, and infinitely more serious than Sabine.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    But is Hera capable of balancing all the overconfident "pluckyness" of the rest of the crew? I hope Kanan is a more serious type too.

10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

If you think every Star Wars culture has a rigid type and can't show any realistic diversity---and especially if you think Mandalorians are a rigid type---then my friend, it's you who doesn't care about Star Wars mythology. [face_shame_on_you]

You do know the TCW Mandos aren't the original conception of the culture, right?

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    You may be reading too much into my post. I also grew up on the OT, but I liked the PT too. Anyway, my post was not even addressing the potential storylines or plots, it was just about the characters themselves as revealed so far.

Immortiss and Darth PJ like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sabine totally needs some rad rocket-powered rollerblades.

kecen and FRAGWAGON like this.
  13. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    So with all of this Rebels content hitting the interwebs in an official capacity, when do you think they'll add a "Rebels" Tab to the "Explore" and "Watch" Menus on Starwars.com?

It seems like something that should happen within the next month or 2, IMO.

14. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

That characters too.

So far (and this could change) I find Kanen more fun and interesting then any of the PT Jedi (clone wars or movies). Ezra looks much less annoying then child or emo-teen Anakin. I really like the "new/old Chewie". I like how CHopper isn't just a carbon copy of R2 (like say Whistler). Babe-fett looks interesting, again I like how she isn't stock "Kick-ass Mandalorian warrior". We'll have to see how the new Twi'lek mechanic and/or pilot turns out.

This group looks like that "plucky band of heroes".

15. WampaSwamp

WampaSwamp Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 27, 2011
    I get the feeling that this "artistic" side of Sabine may be more than meets the eye. Maybe its a veil or form of escape that hides a darker side of her story?

16. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    A darker shade of pink.

17. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013
    Jet Set Radio? I thought I would be the only one to think that!

Senator Kelberry likes this.
  18. Vorennaal

Vorennaal Jedi Knight

Oct 9, 2010
    PraenomenCognomen: "If you think every Star Wars culture has a rigid type and can't show any realistic diversity---and especially if you think Mandalorians are a rigid type---then my friend, it's you who doesn't care about Star Wars mythology. [face_shame_on_you]
    You do know the TCW Mandos aren't the original conception of the culture, right?"

What do you mean original conception? Please, do not tell me about the EU! The original conception about Boba Fet is all from the Empire Strikes Back movie, either words from the novelization of the book. There is no rigid type, but there are archetypes in the Star Wars. Just imagine a wookie in pink outfit! Would be acceptable for you? But not for me! The life is not so liberal as some people think it is. There may be a wookie in pink outfit, there may be a mandalorian warrior with graffiti attitude, but I more like the warrior way by its own right. A mandalorian warrior never wears pink outfit and has no graffiti attitude. There is a chance to be a man/women like this, but the mass of the warriors have no such an attitude. Why not? Because they are warriors! We call them warriors, because they are rude, killing machines. We call them rebels, because they blow up peoples, tear apart and tortures everyone but definitely not wearing pinky outfits! That’s not how we think about a mandalors.

Just imagine…JJA presenting the new Star Wars and suddenly say; Han Solo now wearing pinky outfits with no weapons, R2D2 has purple colors, Chewbacca no more a warrior but a wookie princes..because…WHY NOT? This is a free word! We can do anything, there is no such a thing as characteristic or rigid type, accept this!

19. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    *snip*

20. Vorennaal

Vorennaal Jedi Knight

Oct 9, 2010
    Todd EDIT: Keep politics out of this, and fully star out swears.

21. Revanchist7

Revanchist7 Jedi Padawan

Jul 23, 2013
    Pink was actually considered to be a strong and manly color just 100 years ago. You seem to have an issue with a female character displaying feminine qualities. As if being anything other than an ultra violent macho man is inherently wrong. And you ignore the warrior aspects of the character, being an expert on weapons and explosives.

She's also a brand new character, so your comparisons to Han Solo and Chewie are totally null (along with being homophobic)
    A purple R2D2? I really hope you never see a picture of R2KT, you might lose your mind.

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

[​IMG]

23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Which begs the question... (with mucho respect) why are you in this thread? Is it just to provide a rebuttal of opinions voiced on the yet 'unaired' Rebels? I'm in TV too, and from my experience, it's an extremely necessary exercise to generate interest in a show long before it's aired. All part of the industry... All part of the machine. I do however share your sentiments about trying to go in with an 'open mind', but of course that's impossible given we are discussing the show within a dedicated thread within a Star Wars chat forum. We are forming opinions and discussing them. We are 'unclean'. ;)

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    :rolleyes:

Just...

:rolleyes:

25. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Vorennaal PraenomenCognomen knock it off. Voren, let's keep RL politics out of this, and Praenomen, don't get personal, you know better.

purplerain likes this.