main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. SabineFett

SabineFett Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 17, 2014
    If you think that's weird, can you imagine how weird all the people who had Luke/Leia fantasies and stuff when it was revealed they were related. Lol, I've always wondered how they felt after seeing Eric's slash fantasy in That 70's Show.

2. SabineFett

Feb 17, 2014
    This ^^ I agree with this ^^

That's one thing that always detracted from my enjoyment of Clone Wars, the jumping around between different sets of characters. Well, that and the fact that I never cared for any of the main characters. Even Obi Wan annoyed me in that show, haha.

This show though has a lot going for it with me, so far I'm liking all the characters. :)

Contessa likes this.
  3. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I still have my reservations, but most of the cast seems well balanced. The show has the potential to be either lousy or fantastic. I just don't want it to feel childish or ultimately, cheap, but it's way too early to tell if it will or not.

These character previews are better indications of good quality than those teasers were, so I will keep my opinion in check.

Contessa, podjazd and Darth PJ like this.
  4. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't get all the hate/cynicism towards Rebels since the characters seem pretty alright and the story is up in the air right now. Character archetypes are just that.
    I dunno, since I was never too attached to TCW in the first place because of how it flanderized Grievous and Dooku. At least Rebels is unlikely to mess up anything I'm attached to.

5. Weechee

Weechee Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 12, 2013
    Sabine should graffiti stuff like, "Death To Tyrants!", "Don' Tread on Me!", or "Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" only have it in aurabesh and all those slick Imperial propaganda posters we saw should be getting tagged with rebel insignias that drip red paint

maybe instead of a flame thrower she has a wrist launching spray paint gun

did a google image search of "revolutionary graffiti" and saw page after page of stuff coming out of Egypt and Syria from the most crude sentences spray painted on a wall to elaborate artworks

6. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    Oui. I really need to stop going on the Star Wars facebook page. It's literally a wall of hate and ignorance. I mean really, half the video is about her blowing things up and liking guns and you ignore that and say she is a happy-go-lucky cutesy wimpish graffiti artist?! :mad:

Hey, just 1 more video of hate to deal with until a real movie-esque trailer comes out ala Clone Wars Season trailers. See how "girly" and "kiddish" it is then, unless it actually does end up being girly and kiddish, but I highly doubt it from the Weisman and Filoni (W&F?) comments.

And the minute someone brought up that old quote about the 4th episode being a tonal shift, I just can't get the image out of my head of Ezra being impaled by the Inquisitor's lightsaber while everyone else tries to escape a Star Destroyer and watching as someone, maybe Kanan, tries to charge at the Inquisitor, but the rest of the team pulls him back to the ship. The Inquisitor sliding Ezra's body onto the ground and yell something like "I'll kill you all! I will find you and you will all die!" or something.

...Man, that was kinda messed up thinking about it. [face_whistling] however, it would be an interesting twist on the master dies and apprentice rises to the challenge. It happened to Obi-Wan, it happened to Luke, now what if the opposite happened for Kanan and Ezra died?

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sure, because the tension is released, they have triumphed and are thus happy. Their struggles have been rewarded. It's party time.

That's quite a bit different from the "I go into deadly battle and it is totally rad" attitude Sabine and Ezra seem to display. If they don't get squashed for that stupid attitude like TaradosGon suggested and instead fighting the Empire is like fighting the B-1 battle droids, I don't know if I'll like the show much.

EHT and CT-867-5309 like this.
  8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    huh?

You mean like Han and Luke here?

V-2, InterestingLurker and credar like this.
  9. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

If you rewatch the videos, not just the built-up inferences from these conversations, I think you'll find that's a hell of a leap.

Anyway, it makes perfect sense for a hyped-up kid to do that... in the beginning. People join militaries all over the world for the chance to kill. The difference between realism and fantasy will be whether the characters actually learn their lesson about how serious it really is... and I have no reason to doubt that's in the cards. Certain others, like Zeb, can still take a barbarian pleasure in the fight, but having the younger characters learn that they don't have the same taste for it is just another path to good character development.

A lot of this will depend how much they know of each other early on. I always had the impression we would meet these characters just as they met one another, so any lessons like this, they will have yet to learn.

Revanfan1, Circular Logic and Dra--- like this.
  10. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    Sorry for the double-post, but I'd missed this, and...

I'm sorry... I just... not to totally take sides here, but, with all due respect...

BOOM!

Argument decimated.

V-2, Revanfan1, credar and 1 other person like this.
  11. credar

Sep 18, 2011
    You got him! YOU GOT HIM!

Great, Dra! Don't get cocky!

12. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Uh, no? I'm not really taking a side, I haven't seen any of these videos, and I'm not saying Rebels shouldn't be the swashbuckling adventure that ANH was, but...

I don't see Luke and Han going into that battle thinking it's rad.

Han seems pretty serious when he tells Luke, "we're not out of this yet".

Again, they're elated because, *shock*, they got'em! As in, they won and they're not dead.

They're not acting like this is what they do for fun. They didn't trash talk or get up and do a touchdown dance in the middle of the battle. Leia leapt into the Walking Carpet's arms because she was so happy to have survived.

So, argument stands, at least to me.

I think this part is more astute:
    Do we really want to replay the disaster that was TCW's B1 battle droids?

Barriss_Coffee, Darth_Pevra and EHT like this.
  13. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013

And I refer back to my previous post, that this is an entirely theoretical debate based on where we're introduced to the characters... not on what they will actually learn. The only character who seems totally committed to the whole battle-pride thing is Zeb, who seems to have earned that right.

If it's a permanent flaw, sure, you guys are right. But going in with this sort of attitude and being hit with a reality check is a totally different story.

V-2 and obsidianknight482 like this.
  14. SabineFett

Feb 17, 2014
    Ok, as promised, here's the link to my run Screencapped.net Star Wars Rebels gallery. Sorry for the standard Coppermine look, that'll be gone in the next few days and replaced with a custom Star Wars Rebels look. Here's the link.

http://screencapped.net/tv/starwarsrebels/

This gallery currently has all released promo photos, renders and posters. And screencaps of all the Meet, BTS and teaser videos. And as time goes on I will add the promo photos that come out, screencaps of whatever videos come out, and most importantly screencaps of each and every episode. Enjoy. :)

15. credar

Sep 18, 2011
    Exactly. So many people who signed up for war, especially World War 2, went in their looking for action and fighting and, pretty much, fun. However, most of what happened was just death upon death upon death in a seemingly endless war. While Rebels probably won't be THAT dark, it is Star Wars and made by Disney, I expect this fear of war being fun to be put down quickly enough, especially if the 4th episode really does shift the series into a darkish path.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I highly doubt anyone would call war fun. I think young men particularly have always been the favoured targets for fodder in war precisely to capitialise on their innocence and lack of true understanding of what war is and does. It doesn't mean it should be continued but it won't surprise me in the least if it is by the hints given already by this show.

I think your expectations are rather high.

17. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    No one sane and adult person thinks the war is fun (if he/she knows what it is like). But I don't think there is anything extremely unrealistic if people sometimes during the battle act like war would be just like fun game (like Luke and Han there) it's kind of a psychological trick to avoid mental collapse by making oneself to forget the danger and act like it's just fun. It's also creating team spirit and things like that, while everyone really knows that there is a danger of death. It doesn't help anyone to survive if everyone just cries that "We are gonna die, we are gonna die", some people may act like war wouldn't be serious and by doing so develop strength to keep going and eventually survive. Some may collapse as said.

Besides Star Wars never went to that level of realism that it would've portrayed war as psychological crisis and hell that it is- Star Wars has always been just fiction and fun. I find it odd to complain about it now, if it doesn't bother in OT. EU has made different approaches, and some stories go more deep in to the psychology of war than OT never did. Luke's feelings about losing Biggs and Dak and countless other friends are not really delved into. What about Leia's feelings about Alderaan?

I don't know if I managed to express myself correctly I don't expect Rebels to go very deep realism in portraying the war, it's not part of the genre. They can show some tragic things and greater feelings (like TCW sometimes did, like Umbara-arc) and sometimes portray more superficially just "fun battles". Delving deep into the psychology of soldiers is not something that belongs to genre of Star Wars IMO. Maybe it could be done in this fictional context, but Rebels is not going to do that.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We seem to be talking past each other at this point and we don't really know what the hell is going on anyway because we don't know enough about the show to know exactly how it's going to portray war.

I'm not even sure where the idea comes from that the characters are going to believe that war is a cool Friday night activity. Because Zeb likes to bang stormtrooper heads together?

I'm pretty sure everyone here realizes the universe-wide between the tone of Platoon and "I'll pick you up in my graffiti-sprayed land speeder at 1600, we'll blow **** up and get back home by midnight." And I don't want either.

And sweet Jesus, I don't want the Empire to look as incompetent as the CIS did in TCW. I've said from the outset that that would piss me off.

I won't speak for anyone else but teenage slang and treating real war like a video game is not what I meant when I said I wanted a fun show.

I am looking for, and expecting, the tone of ANH myself.

There has to be suspense, we have to wonder if they're going to get out alive, the characters have to experience loss, and fear. But they also need to enjoy each other and the audience needs to have fun watching them.

19. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I'm now imagining a SW version of the Gadsden Flag. DON'T TREAD ON ME!

20. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I'll go with five months, I'll say by San Diego Comic-Con. That's when I imagine we'll start seeing the shorts that were mentioned in that shareholders letter: "While the world eagerly awaits Episode VII to open in theaters, we’re introducing Star Wars Rebels to television audiences this summer with a movie and a series of shorts on Disney Channel, followed by a continuing series on Disney XD."

The official Disney XD Star Wars Rebels site has been up for a while, at least since November or December, and it's updated as soon as we get new videos, but yeah, it's not Starwars.com.

21. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    "This is where the fun begins." -Anakin Skywalker

V-2, Dark Lord Tarkas and Dra--- like this.
  22. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Somewhere I read they'd have some (a handful) Imperial characters coming as well, in addition to the Inquisitor. Waiting for those now!

obsidianknight482 likes this.
  23. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
  24. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    InterestingLurker likes this.
  25. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Hera: team mom. Sounds good, and I love the voice. She seems like she'll be a nice straight man to all of the other misfits, and probably because of all the crap that's happened on Ryloth before. It doesn't really give us a good feel for the character, but it makes me excited to see her.

So far, I feel like I'll enjoy all of the main cast. Even Kannan, who I thought was kind of boring at first, is really growing on me. I'll of course reserve my judgments, but I won't make the same mistake I made with TCW and disregard it at first glance. I feel like I'll like this even more than TCW.