main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Grymestone, Nov 5, 2012.

1. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh, I wish my Xbox was not broken; I'm feeling so nostalgic for these games! I remember I got KOTOR 2 before I got KOTOR 1 (just because I was in a Hastings at age 9 and "ooh, this looks cool!"). I was a massive Star Wars fan before, and I got it home, popped it in the tray, and I was awed at how many character choices there were! I didn't really understand the whole dexterity, constitution, willpower, etc. at the time, but hey...9 years old. I picked my character's face and chose the bearded dude, and named him OBI-WAN (yes; all caps). I was confused by who all these characters were and where Anakin and Padme and the clones were, but I began to understand rather quickly that I was playing a game that happened way before all that. I was mystified by Kreia and her being alive, and you know that room you start in, the one with the five kolto tanks? I spent a good minute or two in there staring at those computer screens on the floor that activated during the cutscenes. Those were so cool, I thought. And then I got a vibroblade. Whoa, there are swords in Star Wars...that don't glow? I never even used a blaster because that vibroblade was so cool. So I went through Peragus (still love that place, even though others hate it), and I think my first Force power was probably either Force Speed or stun droid. I remember being so awed by the number of Force power choices. It was just so cool. There was so much to do.

And don't get me started on Citadel Station. Man, the Death Star had nothing on Citadel Station. I stayed there for hours, doing everything I could find to do, because I did not want to leave. The place was just so stinking cool! It was something ripped out of my dreams; something I never knew I wanted to go to but now that I was there I wanted to see one in real life! And then when I finally left for Telos, the place reminded me of some planet or another in the Jedi Apprentice junior novels...don't remember which, but I do remember Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon actually did go to Telos, so maybe it was that. I sped through there ASAP and got to the Ebon Hawk, and man did I love that ship.

Now, the first time I played, I went Dantooine -> Nar Shaddaa -> Dxun...and somehow even by Dxun I didn't have my lightsaber built, simply because it was my first time through and I hadn't figured out how to do the sidequests that were required to get all the pieces (I finally finished it on Dxun by pulling a lens from a cannock's remains). Korriban, I intentionally skipped the trials tomb in the cave (I think I was too scared to try), but I was totally freaked out by the Sith Academy; so different from the Jedi one on Dantooine. It took me about a year or more to finally reach Malachor V (because I started different characters since I loved the first few planets and stations so much), but when I finally did I remember saving the game about every five steps because I was so scared. Man, what a game; I miss it, but I cherish the memories. :)

3. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I'm going to bump this thread! We need more discussion about just this game!

Anybody doing this game right now?

4. Dud Bolt.

Dud Bolt. Jedi Knight

Jan 25, 2013
    I downloaded the ipad version of KOTOR and it's great. The controls were my main concern, and they actually work.

I hope they release an ipad version of KOTOR II with all of the cut content restored to the game. I haven't played the game with the restored content mod but it sounds sweet. Such a shame that game was rushed - I enjoy the first 80% of it more than KOTOR, then it clearly falls off the rails.

5. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I've been actually thinking about doing a run through of these games again, for the nth time! I probably shouldn't, what with Organic 2, Genetics and Cal 2 all breathing down my neck, but I probably will. Just have to finish up Jedi Outcast for the first time, then I'll probably do it.

Can't wait to dual-wield the green short sabers, as usual, chopping up everything in sight. Oh, and using the mind trick at every conversation. I play a terrible Jedi...

6. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    I also use two sabers, i upgrade them very different so i can do a lot of different types of damage with them!

7. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013
    Of, course. That way you can take out droids and organics easily. I'm a pretty terrible power-gamer, though. I just have my Jedi run around in armor and melee everything.

Now I really want to play the game again, or even better, play a third one. I'd heard a rumor quite a while back that Obsidian might be making another game, which I would love. I'm in the minority that thinks KotOR 2 is better than the first.

8. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I saw some article that Obsidian had pitched an rpg set between ROTS and ANH to LucasArts but this was obviously before LucasArts got closed and seeing as EA have exclusive rights now I think it's unlikely we'll see an Obsidian Star Wars rpg anytime soon. I agree though I love Kotor 2. I really wish the Obsidian made Kotor 3 hadn't gotten cancelled. Kotor 2 sets up such a wonderful premise for the third game with the True Sith and the implications about Revan but from what I've seen The Old Republic handles the plot threads pretty poorly.

9. Sir Chem

Dec 26, 2013
    TOR is actually pretty fun, but it's a total grind-fest. They lower the XP rate you gain, so it takes forever to get anywhere in the game. That sucks about Obsidian, though. I mean, KotOR is one of those games that if anyone mentions it, you must immediately re-install it, and play it. (If you ever uninstalled it, in the first place.) You'd think Disney would see the market for another single-player addition to the game, y'know?

10. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    We can only hope we get a great single player rpg again in the next few years, I mean TOR is fun and all, but I'd take a single player game over that anyday.

11. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    Would be really cool if they would update KOTOR with new graphics, sound etc etc, would make the presentation much cooler!

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I've always believed an animated Old Republic series would be a goldmine.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    haha yep, i play through it about once a year

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    Played it again about a month ago, got a bunch of mods installed and it was fantastic. I'm still hoping for a KOTOR 3 game at some point but it's unlikely.

Darkslayer likes this.
  15. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    I fired KotOR up for the first time in almost two years a little while back; decided to play with changing my bog-standard Soldier/Guardian Revan to a Scout/Guardian. Didn't get very far with it yet - I'm still checking out the Taris Upper City, trying to nab some easy XP before I get into too many fights. Right now my character build is something of a "jack of all trades, master of none;" I'm debating pretty much ignoring blaster skills in favor of melee since after I leave Taris it'll probably be lightsabers all the way.

I tend to go for the dual-wielding option myself; in KotOR I generally make sure to have one saber with the Heart of the Guardian and the other with the Mantle of the Force. On a well-specced Jedi Guardian generally that results in things being obliterated, although Malak is still a pain to fight. My favorite takedown of him wasn't with sabers; he got stuck next to the entrance ramp while I was a long ways off. Since Force Jump doesn't work if there are obstacles in the way, and I had over 20 thermal detonators on me ... yeah, that had to hurt.

16. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    I always avoid blaster skills, prefer the lightsaber and melee combat. My last character was an absolute monster.

17. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, my Soldier/Guardian was just an utter killdozer long before Level 20. There were still some tough fights though - I learned the hard way that he couldn't take the two terentateks on Korriban alone in a straight fight. Instead I settled for stealthing, setting a massive minefield, luring them into it, and then running like hell for the door to the chamber with the Star Map. From there I could just equip my most powerful blaster rifle and whittle them down in safety.

One thing I will say about KotOR II is that things went up to 11 - my entire party was a pack of lethal powerhouses, with the exception of GOTO whom I never really used. My Jedi Guardian absolutely crushed everything in her path until running into Kreia (whom, to be fair, I had turned into a Dark Side artillery piece over the course of the game). That was a bit more of a challenge. Sion though I beat like a rented gong on all three encounters; I had the Restored Content mod and got to duel him as Atton. The little scoundrel wiped the floor with the Lord of Pain.

18. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
  19. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    On taris I don't level up and i only use blasters on that planet, i save the levels for when i become a jedi :)

20. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
  21. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
  22. IBYM

IBYM Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 17, 2014
    On another note I've just installed a HK47 and a trade federation droid Mod for Fallout New Vegas, happy days!

23. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
  24. DarthCane

May 30, 2002

I've heard of that strategy; never used it myself. Generally I find some of the tougher fights on Taris are hard enough when I'm cashing in levels; I like to take a little dip on the dark side and face down Bendak Starkiller in the dueling arena, which is a close-run thing at level 6 or 7. Also, as a 12th-level Jedi Guardian at the end of the game I'm already nigh-unstoppable in the Force-assisted saber beatdown department; those 8 starting class levels round the skillset out a bit.

25. Ambervikings91

Dec 1, 2012
    the starkiller fight is the tough one at a low level, however, if your character has rapid shot and u give them a blaster and just have them sit back they actually are a very good support character