main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS ATM's Stuff from the Temp Boards Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ATMachine, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Whoops, meant to cut & paste, not bump. Anyway, here's the archive thread bumped.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I'm really glad all this stuff got saved, ATMachine rules!!! I find this discussion all the more interesting now that we know we're getting another Star Wars trilogy and probably even more after that, possibly eventually pulling together a 12-film saga after all.

3. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Welcome back!

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks. :) I'm mostly a LACWACer and only check other parts of JCF occasionally.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks a million once again to ATMachine for preserving this discussion on the permanent board. I'm using it as a reference in my TCW discussion over on the Star Wars TV board right now, and not for the first time since the last time I thanked him for this.

While I tagged you, I'm very happy to tell you I found this at the flea market and of course had to pick it up:

[​IMG]

I've read about 30 pages of it so far and I'm waiting to read more to keep some suspense. I love how it's the Sundays so every single page ends with a cliff-hanger and you keep getting to read the follow-up immediately. It ruins the brain for delayed gratification, I tells ya. One of the best recommendations anyone's ever given me, thanks very much!!!

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Darth_Nub likes this.
  7. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I'll have to take a closer look at that thread when I get a chance - you'd think it'd be a Saga topic, but I think you've found a closer connection with TCW. Very cool.

8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
  9. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    As someone who wasn't even around back when those conversations took place, thanks for posting this. There's some very interesting material here.

And, as someone who's always thought ROTJ felt a little "small' in scope for a film that carries the burden of being the finale of a six-part saga, I LOVE the idea that Luke would be taken to the Emperor's Palace on Coruscant. I would have loved to see 1983's take on the look of that planet, and some of the visual concepts, like the lava-throne room and massive, austere hallways are just so damn cool and beautiful. Wou'ldve loved to see those come to fruition.

10. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I imagined it might look like Blade Runner's LA. The 1997 version from ROTJSE was partially done with models too, I think...

And speaking of models, there is a photo in The Making of Return of the Jedi of a test model for the Emperor's lair, with the lava. You can't see anything very well, but apparently they did actually build something to see if it would work, before being told that the story had changed.

11. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Han Burgundy yeah I am really grateful to ATMachine for preserving these discussions.

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn holy crap, I REALLY need to get these making of books... dying to see that photo...

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    The picture itself isn't that impressive. It's pretty small, and you can't really see much. (It's on page 89, by the way.) It is interesting that they were building anything though.

On the books in general - they are very good and there's a lot of cool stuff in them... but as Darth_Nub pointed out to me recently, Rinzler was still not allowed to look at GL's main collection of notes (the binder/binders/whatever). So even the Making Of books are somewhat incomplete, not really helping to clarify questions like:

-What were the actual ideas for the various saga structures (twelve films with one 'young Ben Kenobi' film plus more Adventures of Luke Skywalker and wookiee, robot, and maybe Jedi spin-offs, twelve films with 'prologue,' 'clone wars trilogy,' etc, nine film trilogy-of-trilogies, trilogy of trilogies but with a 'reunion' Sequel Trilogy)?
    -When did Annikin and Darth get rolled together into Anakin "Darth Vader" Skywalker?
    -What's the development story behind the Sister (Nellith), the Other in ESB, and Leia - and how did those things relate to the changing saga ideas?