main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #4 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Nov 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediFett10

JediFett10 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 8, 2008
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Alas! What a difference 3 months makes!:_|

3. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    This was intense as chaos. Still not sure what the plan actually is... So Skel'nas wants access to the Infinity Gate so that he can go wherever he wants in the galaxy, so that he can conquer the galaxy more easily. But then why does he go alone with Xesh into the gate? Am I missing something? It feels like I am.

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Man there has to be a fourth series, but did anyone get the comment by Randy at the end? It was short and sweet and was in the lines of next month the force wars concludes.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Going with Xesh alone is just typical villain behavior (sure, bring the possibly unreliable henchman along), but as mentioned in an earlier issue, according to Rakata legend the Tython Infinity Gate can restore the Rakata's fading Force ability. Its not noticeable yet, but Skal'nas is worried about it, and its why he's so determined to reach the Chasm.

Similar to Legacy: War, the big battle scenes are somewhat glossed over, but oh well, glad to see Shae, Tash and Sek'nos playing bigger roles after Sek'nos was locked up for half the series, those three were always somewhat representative of this era (the three young Je'daii... though none of them are that young anymore, especially after the war). Tasha's session with the Kwa holocron is probably the most interesting scene as it is probably going to lead to something huge happening in the final issue.

Tasha says Tython is awake now? What, now Tython is going to turn out to be something like Zonoma Sekot? That would be a pretty interesting twist.

There's also a line forming for who gets to kill Xesh first :p . And Daegon Lok turns out not to be as tough as he acts- his vision showed him as invincible and... he's not, being dragged around by the Rakata as their prisoner and guide to the chasm. At least Skal'nas does mention how to get past the "Chaos barrier" that has driven everyone else mad (envision the Tho Yor symbol in your mind). Now to see what's at the bottom of that chasm.

6. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    WOW. The strongest art this five issue arc has offered yet. A perfect issue. So epic. Classic Star Wars all the way. Bravo!

spicer and AusStig like this.
  7. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Could have something to do with the TCW bonus content.

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    The best issue of the arc so far, but it doesn't exactly have strong competition. Like Nobody said, it's good to see starring roles again for all three stars of Force Storm. This arc is finally using them, Xesh, and Lok in good capacities, although the rest of the Je'daii (Hawk, Rori, Ketu, Quan-Jang, Mad Dog, Rajivari) are still reduced to generic battle-leaders or appearanceless namedrops. The action involving the main characters was good, though, as it furthered their storylines and developed their characters in a way that the mindless lightsaber-swinging fiestas of the first three issues decidedly did not. We had to get through two bad issues and one OK one to get here, but Force Storm is finally doing the same things right that Legacy War did --- giving space for the main characters to grow and to have their stories concluded amidst an orgy of action, while keeping the lesser characters in the picture even if there's no time for their individual stories to go anywhere. I'd love to see Hawk Ryo actually do something, but since John & Jan have clearly had the rug pulled from under them again, I'm content with him being the Ganner of this series and am happy to see him appear on the page at all.

A shame that it took so long for this arc to find its stride, though. And this issue wasn't perfect by any means. I've complained before about Skal'nas being a non-threatening, ineffectively cartoony Bond villain, and in this issue he leaves a chained-up Lok to be eaten by Flesh Raiders instead of just outright killing him. Seriously? Scott Evil would like a word with you. The lack of character deaths so far has also detracted from what could potentially be very good suspense. Legacy War felt like a real endgame because people we loved and cared about were dying left and right. In Force Storm, it's like everyone has a character shield. Even minor characters that we only met once or twice in the first ten issues are safe --- do any of us actually care about Rori Fenn, Ketu, or Mad Dog? Why haven't any of them died yet? Their invulnerability is hurting what could be a much better story. Even if it's somehow not the final arc, it's a crazy all-out war that not everybody should survive.

Nobody145 likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]

10. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    So the real question is;

Best issue of Dawn of the Jedi

OR

Best issue EVER!

It was really good. Really built the tension, reminds me of TUF when Luke, Jaina and Jacen go toe face the Overlord while Wedge (and a lot of others) fight the big battle, while Norm does his thing.

it feels like we are coming to the big climatic showdown.

I don't think character deaths are, 'all that' for creating tension. I also feel this arc is Better then Legacy War: because it has less baggage to sort out.

gizkaspice and spicer like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I loved Lok's smarmy comments to the Rakata as well as his crazy rant of defiance at the raiders... to his pleading. Nice range, that fellow, ha. The awakening moment was also pretty cool- can't wait to see what that does.

Yeah, it's funny- I made the Thor 2 Loki joke in the thread for the last issue, now here it takes form in a very literal fashion.

12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    So what can Xesh do with just one issue left? Anybody want to bet against the prediction that he'll sacrifice himself to stop the badguys/destroy the gate/whatever and save the day?

13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Awesome issue, can't wait for the final part. I suspect the gate will be destroyed in order to prevent it from falling into the Rakata's hands but will it be that the invasion falls apart when the Predor dies? Or will the Tho Yor or some other force destroy the invading forces? Also was hoping for some Tho Yor backstory but that might be in the next issue. All in all, whilst feeling a bit rushed, Force War has been good.

One thing I kind of wish was more variety in Rakatan ship designs. Almost everything shares the same design methodology. Not bashing it as I love the art style but more variety might have been nice. And when I say that I refer to those fighters launched from the Rakatan mothership which look like mini-motherships.

gizkaspice and darthscott3457 like this.
  14. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Tython, the vengeful planet, Awakes!

15. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wonder if there's any way that the hypergate is going to be used to send a group of Je'daii to Ossus, who will then be the ones to divide the light and dark sides there (as it was stated in...the NEC I think? Or Power of the Jedi Handbook?) I'm guessing that is probably not what Ostrander and Duursema had in mind originally, but depending how much time they had, that might have been a way to kind-of tie up the series while also leaving room open for more stories.

In any case I think it's odd that the arc called "Force Wars" doesn't seem to be the actual Force Wars that was essentially the only part of this era defined prior to the comic.

Cronal and EternalHero like this.
  16. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Incredible issue. It breaks my heart knowing that we have only one more issue and then no more DOTJ :(

17. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    There's time for one more arc :) I know they had one planned.

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The problem with this is that we know from TOR that the Rajivari Force War occured on Tython.

19. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I don't think so....

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012

Unfortunately, I think this is the last arc. Jan's next project is (I think) something with Usagi Yojimbo for DH. What are the chances for John&Jan to continue DOTJ with Marvel?

21. EternalHero

Feb 17, 2014
    Continuity would be nice, we'll just have to wait & see. I'll dig through all the Force Wars interviews but I distinctly remember the Marvel transfer possibility coming up in one of them & Jon saying that the long delay to Force Wars had to do with DH's publishing schedule not readiness of the content & that they were already pretty far into the next arc. If my memory isn't playing tricks, I'll locate the quote.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Jan or John said somewhere that they had plans for another DOTJ arc but designed Force Wars to be able to function as the last if it ended up being so.

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah I do not think there will be anymore after this one, but man what an issue. I can't wait to see the planet wake up. I can't wait for that..........................

24. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Couldn't that have been figurtive language? There's lots of action on Tython and there's those Force Storms.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, that's what makes it interesting- a planet awakening could happen in several ways- literally and directly like Sekot, literally and indirectly like Pandora, actions channeled through the Force, the Tho Yor fulfilling their function, something else emebedded on the planet, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.